Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What breaking changes would YOU make to Unity?

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by CaseyHofland, May 3, 2022.

1. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

This thread is a general discussion about breaking changes in Unity. If you want to weight in on if you think this is good or bad (I imagine asset store creators have good insights on this) please join the conversation!

If you have a breaking change you’d like to discuss, use (something like) the following format to make it easy to spot at a glance.

Suggestion:
    Serialize System.Numerics.Vector<> instead of Vector3.

Reason:
    Better interoperability, Microsoft Support, Generic = Good.

Implication:
    Removal of Unity’s Vector2, Vector3 and Vector4.

Compromise:
    Implicit conversions between Microsoft’s and Unity’s Vectors.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  2. Baste

Baste

Suggestion:
    Removal of deprecated properties on MonoBehaviour. That being .rigidBody, .animation, ect.

Reason:
    Those are very natural names to use for things! The properties got deprecated in Unity 5, which launched 7 years ago, and ever since that, I can't write a DeactivateCollider script that has a
    public Collider collider;
    . Womp Womp.

Problem:
    These are required by the API auto-updater, in order to make scripts from before that time automatically update to work in modern Unity versions. I don't think I've tried to do that since perhaps Unity 2017, though, so this is a problem that I run into pretty much every week in order to fix a problem that I haven't run into for 5 years.

So maybe we can go "hey if you have a script from Unity 4 that you want to copy-paste into Unity 2022, it might not work. Try copy-pasting something from 2015 or later instead, or use Unity 2021"

mh114, Eclextic, spamove and 20 others like this.
  3. runner78

runner78

Unity Vector Structs have a native Counterpart, so it would first have to be clarified whether it would be possible to replace it completely.
    Another problem would be the Matrix methods/classes, Unity is left handed, System.Numberics right handed

4. M_R

M_R

fake nulls. everything else can and should be made backwards compatible. e.g.:

- API auto-update: have parallel assemblies with the deprecated stuff, that are only loaded when upgrading a project
    - Vector structs: add implicit conversions and mixed math operators

5. Iron-Warrior

Iron-Warrior

Reposting what I wrote from another thread, discussing whether there should be breaking changes or not between major engine versions:

I don't personally mind breaking changes between major editor versions (e.g., 2020 to 2021), since as it stands I typically treat upgrading as something that may cause breaking changes anyways and always allocate engineering time for it, treat it as a spike with unknowns, etc. Most of the teams I know that work on larger projects with Unity tend to stick to a single version for fairly long, with upgrading being a major event (one large team I'm familiar upgraded last year from from 5 to 2019).

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I have moved to DOTS so most of it is automatically gone for me. Honestly? No breaking changes are needed then.

apkdev and Ryiah like this.
  7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I say they get rid of C#

Eclextic, CaseyHofland and hippocoder like this.
  8. koirat

koirat

Why, and what to use instead ?

spamove likes this.
  9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

JS or Boo, for sure.

10. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

I think you’re forgetting the obvious choice:

ScrAtCh

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Oh now, now. That's a bit ambitious :p

AcidArrow likes this.
  12. koirat

koirat

OK, I thought he is serious about this, you know, performance etc...

13. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I would definitely have supported that DOTS (which is a whole new thing) use another language though.

But yeah, I wasn't serious...

OR WAS I!?

14. TheZombieKiller

TheZombieKiller

I think it's important to point out that System.Numerics.Vector<T> is not equivalent to a Vector3 (nor should it be), the equivalent is System.Numerics.Vector3.

Qbit86 and VolodymyrBS like this.
  15. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

We wrote a scratch importer for a hackweek in 2017 :D. It was able to import a scratch project and convert it into a Unity project. I believe the developer is still working on it https://www.facebook.com/RokCoder/posts/480995896925519?__cft__[0]=AZUMRlTWZlStoFZKz9xuBzHv6nbn8uZa28HL_0pJVb6G7W8ECvEdskT3M-qCH2ANa4sPtICmRN_pdQ1CLPG5AsFslhzOOoJx47lIuseYjc0QIIVgu1Q6oEXS8Dsus9ROiPjfothh6LX2iGx1Fw3GXePDO4E0F9EOau-UhxR8bab0bA&__tn__=,O,P-R

bb8_1, OldMage, Ryiah and 6 others like this.
  16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hahah! Well that's a welcome surprise.

karl_jones likes this.
  17. Rennan24

Rennan24

I would love to see Unity change the way Unity packages are referenced, Especially now with DOTS on the horizon, my library folders are always larger than 2gb because it has to duplicated the DOTS packages into the library folder even though there's already a copy in the cache folder. Would make so many of my Unity Projects much smaller since it could just be referenced from the cached folder. Although I assume this would break a lot of projects and might have other consequences that I'm not sure of?

Eclextic, OldMage and Harry-Wells like this.
  18. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

@Rennan24 that’s the goal: suggesting breaking changes to make Unity better.

I can't say I've had any trouble like this: my packages are neatly referenced. Try seeing if your cache is in order https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/upm-cache.html

It could also be that the huge memory load is DOTS specific: it's still in preview after all, and it is my understanding that it takes a lot of data to initialize systems and run all that parallel-magic they're doing - but I'm no expert on the technology by any means.

19. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

Alright, enough is enough: null checks in Unity just pranked me again after some sensitive code where I need to keep references in a dictionary, even if a Component gets destroyed (which turns into the whole null-check fiasco making everything harder than it needs to be).

Can we please:
    1. Add a flag in assembly definitions like "use native == operator" that, you guessed it, doesn't do Unity's custom null check?
    2. Show a deprecation message on the custom == operator when this flag is disabled?

This is something Unity had needed to address years ago. Now we're still here. Adding this to assembly definitions is probably the most painless path forward (you know, not immediately nuking every asset on the asset store) but this is a problem that keeps getting bigger, especially after the addition of nullable reference types in C#.

---
    For anyone who has no idea what I'm talking about, check this post for an introduction to this weird phenomenon.

---
    Why is it still a problem?

Unity isn't even consistent in its own checks, and it can turn easy problems into hard ones. Consider this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class Test : MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    3.     public new Rigidbody rigidbody = null;
    5.     [ContextMenu("Equals")]
    6.     private void Testing()
    7.     {
    8.         Debug.Log($"reference equals: {ReferenceEquals(rigidbody, null)}"); // False : reference is not null
    10.         var joint = GetComponent<Joint>();
    11.         Debug.Log($"joint reference equals: {ReferenceEquals(joint.connectedBody, null)}"); // True : reference is null
    12.     }
    13. }
    So if I need a reference to a Rigidbody from a Joint, I now need to store that reference myself because Unity makes a distinction between Rigidbodies stored in MonoBehaviours and Rigidbodies stored in Joints. It is incredibly frustrating to have to walk up to my team and explain to them why feature x is gonna take me the rest of the day when the reason is this superfluous.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    Eclextic, spamove, visose and 2 others like this.
  20. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

One breaking change idea that comes to mind:
    Splitting physics layers from rendering layers.

stonstad, Eclextic, OldMage and 5 others like this.
  21. Kamyker

Kamyker

+11111111 it's not even breaking change.

stonstad and dannyalgorithmic like this.
  22. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Well, for projects that change the layers at runtime by assigning to values, it would be breaking if you just split them up.
    But naturally one could leave the old layer as "legacy" and use new names for the separated ones.

23. tonygiang

tonygiang

Number 1: This may enrage a lot of folks, but I'd say all the API methods that return an array such as
    GetComponentsInChildren
    all need to return
    Span<T>
    instead. The return type alone indicates there is an unnecessary allocation for the array itself to hold the results. This kind of methods are all over the API. It may take folks some time to adjust, but this change will be both a performance boost and forces devs to learn to minimize array allocations.

Number 2: For the love of RNG mechanic coders, stop making UnityEngine.Random.Range max-inclusive! Seriously, how many probability bugs are hidden in shipped Unity games out there that devs never notice because they just assume Unity's RNG is max-exclusive like everything else that deals with randomization only to find a nasty surprise when they read the documentation? Having a max-inclusive RNG will very slightly bias the probability that correlates to the highest value range. This "breaking" change may very well fix probability bugs that most people don't realize that they are making. Hell, one of my colleagues at my old job certainly made this erroneous assumption.

dannyalgorithmic likes this.
  24. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

How does Span tell that there's memory alocation to someone who isn't as deep into the topic to realize that something that clearly is a form of search method and returns an array of varying length, also is a memory alocation?
    Furthermore worrying about memory alocation for the GetComponents methods really sounds like premature optimization. That simply is nothing you call every frame because when you shuffle around your transform tree so often that you cannot cache it, that itself will more likely be the bottleneck.
    The methods are convenience methods (since you could traverse the tree yourself and use given memory if you wanted). Therefore trivial useability has priority.

For methods that are being called often like physics queries and could not be worked around, there are Non-Alloc methods and I read somewhere they plan to make those the default.

If Unity were to put more effort into providing ways to avoid mem alocs, then I rather wish it were for strings. It's a huge hassle to even display a timer as text without mem allocs. For some certain games you might have a fair number of often changing, generated strings to display.
    Of course that is not a Unity specific issue but rather a general problem of C#'s built in string type.

The rng thing is interesting to know. Good that I can never remember whats inclusive and what isn't anyways and thus look it up every time, haha.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  25. tonygiang

tonygiang

"Array is a reference type" and "reference types are allocated on the heap" were 2 of the first things I was taught when I first learned C# (in the Swinburne University of Technology anyway). If it's still being taught the same way I was, this should be a widespread knowledge.

Do not presume which stage of development the other person is in when you say "premature optimization". Do you know for 100% certainty that everybody making this type of optimization is in fact in the early stage of development?

The non-alloc methods don't eliminate memory allocations entirely. They ask for a pre-allocated array and shift the burden of allocating that array to you. Either you do it or Unity does it, you can't escape memory allocation just for the results by using these methods.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  26. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Of course. And?
    It's still logical that when the array you get the reference to, can have any different size, there has to have been an alocation.
    Could you explain please what exactly span<> would solve?

Of course and this is pretty much fundamental to any programming language. You want an output? Then you need a place where to store it.

Am not presuming anything about stage of development.

But I'd like to see a usecase for those methods where they are actually hard to avoid and are the bottleneck due to mem alloc.

27. tonygiang

tonygiang

If you need an explanation of what exactly Span<T> would solve, you should read up on what it even is.

The fact that you need a place to store the results does not necessitate, require or mandate that said place must be the heap.

No game engine should wait until a part of it becomes a widespread bottleneck before it is forced to improve.

28. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Ah you are implying to use it together with stackalloc (that's not inherently implied since Spans often are used on heap-allocated data).
    Hmm, would solve the heap alloc issue, but it's a bit risky. What if someone uses it multiple times in one method when they actually have a huge tree? Could exceed the stack rather quickly...

29. tonygiang

tonygiang

I'm not sure if there is any difference in Unity's implementation of Mono runtime, but the max size of a .NET stack on a 32-bit platform would be 1MB. That would be room for 1024 * 1024 * 8 / 32 = 262144 references. This as far as I have experienced is an unrealistic number of transforms in a scene in any Unity project, let alone a particular tree under that scene.

30. runner78

runner78

Span is a view in allocated memory (heap or stack) and don't own the memory.

You can't use a stackalloc with managed types, C# doesn't allow it. and components are managed types.
    You can also not return a stack allocated Span.
    So, the array need to allocated on the heap.

JoNax97, LuGus-Jan, Saniell and 2 others like this.
  31. Baste

Baste

It's max-inclusive for floats, and max-exclusive for ints.

I don't think there's a sane way to make max-exclusive for floats, since then you'd have to find the closest possible float-value to the max, which is probably a hard problem for computers and just straight up not defined for real numbers. I have no idea why you'd think there is a distribution problem.

Unless you want Random.Range(floatA, floatB) to return a random floating point value between floatA and floatB - 1, which, uh, why? To be consistent with the int-version?

Luxxuor, DragonCoder and Harry-Wells like this.
  32. LuGus-Jan

LuGus-Jan

But heap allocations aren't inherently bad... It's the moment you let go of the reference that it becomes problematic for time-sensitive operations. Imo Span won't solve your issue, partially because your available stack memory is severely limited in size (ranging between 1MB to 8MB depending on the platform). Even if you were technically possible to store such a result on the stack, it might introduce a whole lot more issues if someone tries to query a large scene to get all transforms which might quickly exceed such a threshold.

33. HyperionSniper

HyperionSniper

A large number of other RNGs just have functions that drop the integer portion with a bit operation. You could then multiply this [0, 1) number by 'n' and add 'm' to get a number in [m, m+n). This has been the case in pretty much all of the RNGs I've used, so in my experience Unity is a weird exception.

34. tonygiang

tonygiang

The people implementing the .NET class library must be insane then: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.random.nextdouble

Have you read the IEEE 754 standard for 32-bit floating point number? If you have, the idea of randomizing a max-exlusive float won't seem so insane to you. I will summarize the important part here: bit 31 stores the sign, bit 30-23 stores the exponent, bit 22-0 stores the fraction. Randomizing a min-inclusive, max-exclusive floating point is literally just randomizing the 0s and 1s in bit 22-0 and zeroing out the remaining bits.

I think there is a distribution problem because as I explained: Literally every other random distribution function in every library in every language I know of is max-exclusive. It is not unreasonable to assume that Unity's Random.Range has the same behavior since this is pretty much industry norm. It makes sense, right? Let's say something in your game has a 25% probability of happening and you check it by a roll < 0.25 comparison, you're not actually creating a 25% probability if you're using Unity's Random.Range. You're creating a 0.25 / (1 + E) probability with E being the Epsilon number, meaning it's very slightly lower than a 25% probability (The actual probability is ((2^23) / 4)) / ((2^23) + 1) or 24.999997019768116501794278407779%) . It's so much of an industry norm that one of my colleagues didn't believe me when I first told him that Unity's Random.Range is in fact max-inclusive. I had to show him Unity's documentation to prove it to him and convinced him to use a different RNG for his project due to the obvious probability bias.

I'm willing to bet good money that there are at least 10 shipped Unity games out there that contains this hidden probability bug. And that's not to blame their devs. It's not their fault that Unity's RNG is non-standard.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Here's the thing - expect nonstandard by default in an engine that serves extremely performance limited devices and has code from before standards were made, since the engine is really old in parts.

For things like Random, if it's important, developers absolutely will code their own in any language, so that's a thing that isn't really meant to be fixed. It's a helper library at best. For DOTS you've got Unity mathematics, and this isn't exactly standards driven either, but it is deterministic and adheres to standards where possible.

I'd say the same for HDRP as well. DOTS and HDRP kind of do their best to play properly (are considered the new-unity), but still will have cases where things fall on the side of performance or approximation.

DragonCoder and Harry-Wells like this.
  36. tonygiang

tonygiang

You'd be surprised how much developers DON'T code their own when it comes to industry standards that have just been taken for granted.

37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It clearly was not important to those developers. But I ask you: is it Unity's actual job to force 'standards' on people? A lot of those standards are things people don't want, for a start.

Another problem: standards evolve constantly.

38. koirat

koirat

I don't see a point in implementing your own random number generator for games.
    With probably only one exception, when you are doing multiplayer based on lockstep.

39. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Honestly it isn't that much to ask from developers who are experienced enough to know the in and outs of supposed standards, to just look into the documentation to clarify this randomness "issue".

Harry-Wells likes this.
  40. Qbit86

Qbit86

It's not the case at least for C++ — it has the right bound inclusive [1]. The issue with conventional approach of [leftInclusive, rightExclusive) is that rightExclusive wouldn't belong to the integer type when we want to generate numbers over the entire type domain. While there is no such problem with rightInclusive = std::numeric_limits<IntType>::max() [2]

[1] https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/numeric/random/uniform_int_distribution
    [2] https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/numeric/random/uniform_int_distribution/uniform_int_distribution

Harry-Wells and DragonCoder like this.
  41. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

Here's another one: remove UI Text in favor of TextMeshPro already.

Going further: fix TMP's naming conventions.
    TMPro.TMP_Dropdown
    is just ugly on all accounts. If you're gonna use an abbreviation then do Tmp (no more than 2 caps in identifier abbreviations), if not then do TextMeshPro. And you don't need to have
    TMP_
    in front of the type you're declaring if that type is part of a namespace that already establishes its relation. My preference goes out to
    TextMeshPro.Dropdown

Or hey, you know what would be really great?!
    UI.Dropdown
    . Just integrate it and "remove" TextMeshPro instead. Just partition some part of the UI repo off to the tmp team.

I know it's never gonna happen but I'll still try, writing code with tmp is a pleasure but visually it still hurts.

42. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

From what it seems it's still only Stephen who works on TMP, at least he's the only one responding to the forum posts. But on the other hand they could really use another hand to get SRP support out.

43. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

What would SRP support include? Do you mean like Font Shader Graphs?

44. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It only needs a signed distance shader of sorts, I think it can be done in the regular shader graph. At least I'm not aware of any issues. It is only a bunch of quads with UVs and a material of your choice applied.

It's basically a fancy cutout shader.

45. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

Just having SRP support itself would enable SRP Batcher. This is useful for my case that I have font weights built as different TMP assets. Right now with Dynamic Batching it’s very easy to break batching among the same material if the rendering order is altered slightly.

46. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

True, but my impression from reading related forum posts was that the work has started a year ago and is still not ready to release (v3.2.0). I tried it myself in one of my UI and found several issues. I reported this back to the forum thread, and has not heard a response. As I only see Stephen interacting with others, so I assume they had a lot to work on and need extra capacity from others.

47. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well it should be supported fine, right now. Please post in that part of the forum with your specific needs and it'll likely get solved.

48. oscarAbraham

oscarAbraham

Here's one: Stop keeping the value of non-public fields that aren't marked with [SerializeField] after domain reload.

That behavior is not very well known by a lot of users, and it's easy to forget once you know about it. It's not too hard to go around it (just mark the field with [System.NonSerialized]), but it's easy to miss a field, specially because only fields that are supported by Unity's serialization system are affected.

Here are some reasons to remove this behavior:
    • In a world where we want to improve iteration time on script changes, this is some work that could be eliminated.
    • It causes weird inconsistencies. Fields supported by Unity keep their values and other fields don't. Likewise, fields that would be expected to be null are initialized with an instance while other fields are kept null.
    • Removing it would mean less breaking changes if Unity adds support for other serialized types. Imagine they add serialization support for Dictionaries; it could make a lot of Dictionary fields that are expected to be initially null to be an empty dictionary instead in some cases.
    • It has no practical use. In the vast majority of code, one still has to handle the case where those fields are not deserialized by Unity. That's because it doesn't happen outside the editor, it doesn't happen for Objects in the Scene after entering Play Mode when Scene Reloading is not disabled, and it doesn't happen when restoring the Scene after exiting Play Mode (that results in disabling Scene Reloading causing more inconsistencies).
    I really think this change could be made without causing much trouble. The only practical use for this that I can imagine is support for Domain Reload in the middle of Play Mode when a script changes. But changing scripts in the middle of Play Mode isn't really supported anyway, because a lot of private fields that aren't handled by Unity can't be restored. Lots of Unity's own systems don't support it. That's another breaking change I'd make: Remove the option of reloading scripts in the middle of Play Mode. Or at least don't make it the default option in the settings.

49. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

How did I not realize that's a thing, after several years of Unity? ._.'

Eclextic and CaseyHofland like this.