Search Unity

What backend solution should i go for coop?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by ShadowZie, Dec 2, 2021.

1. ShadowZie

ShadowZie

Hey I am building with mirror a little coop game for VR

and I want to do coop and use a relay to connect t the players together

I can use the steam relay but my problem is that the oculus relay still not ready so I need to use my own relay

I was thinking to get a VPS for around 11$ and playfab I don't really understand how much it costs and if it will be more than the VPS

what backend solution should I go with?

2. e_Zinc

e_Zinc

I've done a lot of research on this topic, and I've previously developed one VR prototype in Unity and 2 VR games in UE4. The best solution at the moment in Unity is Mirror, hands down. We've had to retroactively add multiplayer to our 1.2 year old game, and it's worked out amazingly for the past ~7 months.

It's also got the benefit of no costs if you're using Steam/Oculus relays. Photon's good, but it's definitely got a cost associated with CCUs. If Steam's gonna take a fat 30% cut, you might as well take advantage of its services.

It has a lot of community support, so there's a higher probability somebody's already made a discord comment or post about a problem you have. There are transport layers you can just download for Steam, Epic, and Oculus. There's also been a VR game shipped already for Oculus called Population One.

I took a look at Unity's built-in Netcode solution and it looks pretty good so far. I think they're selling their own relay/lobby services instead of supporting Steam/Epic/Oculus, but I could be wrong.