Search Unity

Official What assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Which assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

1. Art Packages - Mobile/Web

24.0%
  2. Art Packages - Desktop

35.1%
  3. Complete Projects - Mobile/Web

18.0%
  4. Complete Projects - Desktop

23.5%
  5. Scripts/Script Packages

44.6%
  6. Extensions

36.9%
  7. Shaders

28.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

It doesn't work anymore with Unity 4 and above.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. IMDJHanna

IMDJHanna

One thing I would like to see is a section on Unity3D books. Unfortunately, my local book store does not carry any of them, so I will need to order a Unity3d book online. The problem is that I cannot tell much about a book, just by just its cover and the author's opinion of his/her own book. When I search online, I see a lot of books for sale for $40 or more, but no way to see the writing style, the topics covered in the book, how much of the book is devoted to each topics, or how well the author covers each topic. I cannot afford to buy several books, hoping to find one I like. The section I am thinking of would include both a PDF file that can be downloaded free, and links to purchase the book. The PDF file would contain the cover of the book on the first page, followed by the complete table contents, and then 5 to 10 pages from the book. The author of the book would choose which pages of the book to include in the PDF, and which links to use to order the book online. This section would both increase the sales of Unity3d books, and help beginners to get started, by helping the book that best fits their needs.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

amazon already offers this for free. Not PDF but you can read the free pages imbedded in a web reader on the web page.

4. Billy4184

Billy4184

Maybe it's just me but between all the excellent video tutorials, online documentation, forum answers and free projects to download and hack, I'm not lacking in material. I know how good it feels when you find a good textbook though.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. Andromeda frame

Andromeda frame

I'm preparing a pack of 20 antique cars in the style of late 1800's to around 1930. They are fully textured, animated (as in doors and trunk open, steering wheel turns with front wheels, windows roll up and down, gear shift moves with gear changes, working speedometers, head and taillights, engine sounds, horn, etc.)...they are ready to drive and highly detailed. Definitely geared toward the higher end desktop game developer.
    Also included are some commercial vehicles, a firetruck...
    They come with a fairly basic texture set as cars from that era were pretty much black...and I plan on updating soon after with a hotrod options pack.
    Also coming after that is a modular Victorian house/building/urban accessories pack.
    Is this something anyone would be remotely interested in?

ibyte and theANMATOR2b like this.
  6. pako

pako

More Accurate & Detailed Product Descriptions and Obligation to Respond to Support Requests

Yes, I know these are not product categories but these are what "I would like to see in the Asset Store" in a [META] kind of way.

Some minimum information should be provided by sellers according to product type. For instance in a GUI skin, it should be mentioned if it is High Definition or not. It could be argued that if it doesn't say that it's HD then it's not. But on the other hand it could also be argued that nowadays how could something not be high definition? Anyway this is just an example, and I'm sure it could be applied to other product categories, e.g. maybe a script or plugin should identify the load, or resource usage it demands to run. In other words, certain key parameters should be defined for each product category, according to its utility, so that all products descriptions have the necessary information in order to make a purchase decision.

In the Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement we agree that:

"For paid Products or in-app transactions, you must respond to customer support inquiries within three (3) working days, and within 24 hours to any support or Product concerns stated to be urgent by Google."

Now, I must say that I have purchased many-many assets from the Asset Store, and the general rule is that the support is excellent! However, there are some exceptions to the rule. I have purchased a handful of assets, for which there is absolutely no support. So, how can we provide support to our customers in a timely manner, in order to honor our Developer Distribution Agreement, if some Asset Store developers are not professional enough to support their products, and we depend on them? IMHO a time limit to respond to support requests should be imposed, and all products should be removed from the Asset Store for any developers that don't comply. Additionally, the affected products could be temporarily moved, for a certain time period, to a "Quarantine Area", clearly marked as "Discontinued Products - No Support Available", before they are permanently removed.

Socrates likes this.
  7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Interesting idea regarding support. One thought is to vet the asset and the asset developer properly before the purchase. Most assets have threads in the forums. If they don't, first clue - the support may be a little questionable.
    If they have forum threads - the comments by other developers is a good indicator to see if support is up to par or not. I noticed (a nice anomaly compared to the greater interweb) developers on here post when things are good and nice as often as when they are bad and crappy.
    Lastly - the comments on the asset page itself are very helpful.

I'm not disagreeing with your concept of asset developers should support there customers, but I think "You must respond in 3 days or less or Mother Google will lay waste to your villiage!" is a little heavy handed.

8. pako

pako

@theANMATOR2b when I'm about to purchase an asset I always look at the comments, especially the most recent ones. If an asset doesn't have any, or enough, comments, I search for alternative assets. However, I only visit an asset's forum if I need support, especially if a support e-mail is not available. I have purchased many assets from the store, and I always vet them before purchasing. Here is an example of an asset that I purchased, based on the comments, and the fact that it was recently updated (about 4 months before my purchase):

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/680

The product has a support forum, but the developer doesn't respond any more. The support website is down now, but it was live when I bought the product, and there's no support e-mail either. I left a comment in the product page:
    "Seems to work but not enough documentation, and absolutely no support!", where I clearly stated that the app seems to be abandoned. Nevertheless, there was no reply from the publisher, and people kept buying it! Then they'd post support questions in the forum, and of course the publisher wouldn't reply there either.

So, when I purchased this product, the comments were encouraging, and there was a support forum, which you consider a good indication that an app is supported, but it's not, not in this particular case anyway. Result: more people are purchasing this asset, and are left without support, even with my negative comment present. And I ask, shouldn't Unity be concerned about such situations?

Also, we must consider the fact that whenever we are purchasing an asset from the store, we are in fact "teaming up" with the developer of that asset. At least that's how I feel about it, and luckily the rule is that this "team" arrangement works very-very well, because most developers are proud and passionate about their products, and show exceptional professionalism when it comes to support their products. So, I'm pretty sure that if I needed some support in order to comply with Google's 3 day limit, I'd mostly find it. Now, if you feel that not complying with the 3 day limit is good practice, and that we should consider it as something we can ignore, well, here we are definitely in disagreement. No one forced us to accept that agreement, but we did, so I really cannot see the reasoning why complying with something we voluntarily agreed with "is a little heavy handed". So, if we must comply with this, shouldn't our "asset store team members" comply too? Currently, they mostly do, as a result of excellent professionalism, but what about the very few that are not concerned about their professionalism, or even about their clients? Would you like to be one of their next victims? or would you prefer that Unity should be more concerned about the quality standards of the products in the asset store?

9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I see your point and concur. I believe most asset dev's are very supportive and, like you, they think of it as a partnership, within the Unity community - asset store mold.

Keep in mind though - assets are nothing more than plug-ins for a software application. How many plug-ins have we bought over the years, used them for a couple years, then support disappears completely. Reactor anybody? 3dsolve?
    That is the exception not the norm, but it does happen, and it happens on the asset store also.
    Also advancements in the dedicated software application sometimes makes the asset obsolete. Mecanim comes to mind but there is probably better examples than that.

I can give good examples as to why a 3 day hardline is a bit heavy handed. I create an asset, people buy it, I get called to active duty, I'm deployed for 6 months, I have a week long business trip, I go on vacation, the asset gets dropped offline because I have not supported it within 3 days.
    But if the asset developer was dedicated to the dev's who bought his asset - he would inform them - hey I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks, don't have any problems while I'm gone. :)

Seems like a 5 year old asset could be put into a category, not on hold or dropped from the asset store, but maybe in a different category "unsupported" after a certain time frame of no support.

Seems like there is an opportunity here, to see assets that are no longer supported or outdated - to create a new asset in place of the old one. As long as the asset has been abandoned by the original developer - in the unsupported category.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/680

http://u3d.as/content/stu-assets/terrain-mesh-blending-tool/30h

pako likes this.
  10. pako

pako

OK, now we are on the same page. An "Unsupported" category would be great!

Only just one more extra thought: We are a community indeed, so "hey, I'm going on vacation, don't have any problems while I'm gone" is fine. After all, team members/partners need to have a vacation. However, there are a few cases where a publisher is neither on vacation, nor on active duty, but still does not respond to support requests. I've seen other buyers leave bad reviews, and only then, they'd get the cliche reply from publisher "hey I didn't get your mail". I've been around for a while, and I haven't seen an e-mail get lost since the 90's... There's this one publisher that I recently purchased from. He does not respond to my e-mails, and I see that he continues updating his published assets (so not in vacation). The assets of these kind of publishers should go in the "Unsupported" category too. We have to think of professionalism too! I mean, if a publisher's assets end up in the "Unsupported" category because he does not have the professional courtesy to respond to e-mails, it would be a good way to give advanced warning to unsuspecting buyers.

Bottom of the line: An "Unsupported" category (or even tag) would be good for the community.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'd like to see some sort of better protection for asset authors, every single month now I'm personally getting multiple chargebacks on my assets, so some 'asshat' uses stolen credit cards to purchase my assets, then the chargebacks and I've lost both the income and the assets, as the 'asshat' has essentially just bought / stolen as much as he / she could.

Not sure what that would entail, but I'm so sick of losing money and having my assets stolen ?

Accident and chingwa like this.
  12. Socrates

Socrates

I couldn't ask for specific products I'd like to see on the Asset Store because anything I wanted in detail would probably be too specific to really make any money.

What I would really like to see is more improvements in the Asset Store itself and how Unity is handling packages. For one, I really dislike that I can end up with a whole crop of assets to "Update" when there have been no real changes, the asset developer just wanted to put their product back at the top of the category lease for "Release Date".

I would also really like the ability to mark assets in my collection as "never update this again".

Actually, I would love it if the Asset Store usage within Unity itself would simply record the last time I updated a product, then let me move the resulting unitypackage or rename it however I wish. Then when I update a package, I could take a look at what was downloaded and decide myself how to organize it. As it is, I have run into a number of products where the author has changed the file name or directory path of the unitypackage and I have ended up with multiple copies of that asset effectively hidden and ignored.

Of course, the usual requests for much better search filtering, such as being able to limit searches based on category or release date.

13. Train

Train

At the moment we are working on a Toon Jump & Run and i ask myself, do you need toon animate textures for your toon game or not, when you want to see at the moment 2 different animation, so you can look here. I would like to create for example 10 water toon textures with animation for for example $10. Or to expensive?
    A preview from 2 animate textures: here

Do you need water toon animate textures?

14. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Please change the "Downloads" within the Unity Asset store window (i.e. via Unity) back to a darker background and add back in the Text that tells me that there is a new updated to the asset. I really miss that functionality.

elias_t, Parallaxe and ibyte like this.
  15. ibyte

ibyte

With Level 11 can we have input to indicate which assets would be most desired to be in the program? If not you have my permission to mine my wish list for ideas!

16. jpthek9

jpthek9

One thing that's been lacking in Unity is deterministic, well, anything. Especially navigation. Many RTS and tower defense games need determinism for multiplayer but neither Unity's nor any other navigation assets I've found are cross-platform deterministic. I'm sure the authors of a deterministic pathfinding/navigation package would have many eager developers pawing at their front doors.

17. Catacomber

Catacomber

I'd like to see all my old asset providers update so their assets run flawlessly on Unity 5. That's all I care about right now and it doesn't seem to be happening fast enough. I used to have a few updates every day--since I have a lot of graphics from the asset store--and now nothing at all in the past few days and a lot of my assets don't work that well on Unity 5 anymore.

I do like Level 11 but it doesn't do much for me when a lot of my old assets don't function that well anymore.

I bought five spider packs from various people --solid asset providers with lots of stars and good traffic records--because I need a ^^spider for a quest and all those spiders when they should be on the ground attacking me are trying to climb to the skies. And then they fall and then try again to climb to the skies. Don't know why but this never happened before Unity 5.

Socrates likes this.
  18. Parallaxe

Parallaxe

3 wishes:

This!

And this!

Plus a flag on the asset which indicates, if the respective asset supports Unity5. Currently it is "trial and error", which is painful and cumbersome if you are dealing with a large number of assets.

ChrisSch and 99thmonkey like this.
  19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Price changes should not be classed as updates, this is unfair to asset authors who have legitimate updates to their assets, rather than those 'dubious' asset authors who change their store price almost every 2nd day to stay on top of the new release lists, the complete projects section being the most obvious example of this...

ChrisSch, Socrates, orb and 1 other person like this.
  20. ibyte

ibyte

It would be really nice if your asset store listing reflected installed packages per project and what the currently installed vs available versions were.

Both Unity and Asset store authors could potentially make more money if the asset store interface was improved.

21. ibyte

ibyte

Yes these type of assets would be very handy for WWI sims for example

22. orb

orb

I'd like to see the mythical Level 11 subscriptions made available ;)

Socrates likes this.
  23. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Agreed. I hope it becomes available before the march offers end. Been checking back regularly and still no sign of it or even a potential release date.

ibyte likes this.
  24. ibyte

ibyte

Sorry you folks are having issues with that. Worked for me right away :|

iByte

25. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

26. led2012

led2012

Does anyone needs more low poly -ish asset packs? I'm adding more stuff before this gets released :D

btw if this post is not allowed on this thread, notify me I'll take it down :p

DesertRaven and randomperson42 like this.
  27. randomperson42

randomperson42

Very nice! I would go ahead and put those on the store.

led2012 likes this.
  28. matthijsaja

matthijsaja

if you download or buy something from the asset store(like models),are you completly free to edit and use it for commercial purposes ?

29. chingwa

chingwa

You are free to use/edit it in a game or project and sell that game or project for commercial purposes.
    You are NOT free to resell the modified asset for commercial purposes.

ChrisSch and BigDaz like this.
  30. Dalemeric

Dalemeric

I would like to see more high-def modular spaceship creation packs

31. DoubleFine

DoubleFine

Is there anyone looking for a AI package that can deploy a complicated AI in less than one minute?

ibyte likes this.
  32. DoubleFine

DoubleFine

Is there anyone looking for a package that contains all the common combat units with weapon system, e.g. jet fighter, bomber, different tanks, shield field and etc

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    ibyte likes this.
  33. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

You mean something like the A* Pathfinding Project? Or something more like behaviour routines instead of just a mere pathfinding solution?

34. chingwa

chingwa

The emails often go out before the store updates are finalized. I'd give it a few hours before jumping to any negative conclusions.

randomperson42 likes this.
  35. DoubleFine

DoubleFine

More advanced than A* Pathfinding, also can be deployed in one minute, doesn't need any scripting skill

36. Andromeda frame

Andromeda frame

I actually have that on my slate...i am a few weeks away from releasing my first asset pack which will be vintage early 1900's style vehicles...hi-poly only..textured, animated, etc...
    I have Victorian era architecture coming, and i really want to get a modular star ship pack happening..
    I am available for custom work if you need it...pm me...

37. Kondor0

Kondor0

More sci fi icons would be nice. Most icons seem made for fantasy games.

Also sci fi character portraits.

38. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

Hair, optimized for performance.

39. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

The package uploader should be able to run in the background. Holy crap you cant upload something unless it has focus its annoying as hell.

chingwa and Deleted User like this.
  40. efonsecab

efonsecab

I think it would be a good idea to include more interactive tutorials, I saw a couple when I was first learning Unity and they are really helpful.

41. TLMultimedia

TLMultimedia

What KIND of sci-fi icons? Cartoon style? Semi-realistic? Plain vector? (genuine question)
    I'd probably make an icon set but one issue is deciding what is being represented and how to make it generic enough to fit with 3D model/etc assets by other asset providers without being incongruous.

The other issue is putting the effort in to doing that and then its a blanket icons-GUI category so getting it in front of customers looking for it isn't an easy prospect.

The textures/icon-GUI category could really use subdivided categories. If you are looking for icons then you can't browse easily because you have to wade through icons for all genre types.

I can imagine its not easy making the database 'catch all' but one solution would be to have multiple categories for assets.
    I'd like to be able to set my assets as having 2 categories. Then you could have "icons/GUI" and 'sci-fi". I wouldn't put my space skyboxes in the textures/sci-fi category because it doesn't actually fit as well as textures/skies.

I don't know if a second main category or a secondary category would be possible to implement with the asset store made the way it is but it certainly would help organise/searching for some asset types.

42. drt_gamearound

drt_gamearound

43. Recon03

Recon03

not trying to bash you but I would fix spelling mistakes on your video. different, is spelled wrong. The asset looks good other wise best of luck!

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  44. drt_gamearound

drt_gamearound

Thanks for your support. I will check the video.

45. Kondor0

Kondor0

Personally I would like something semi-realistic but I think there's market for all types. I say this because currently there's three serious project with the same icons from Kalamona: StarDrive 2, Shallow Space and Nomad Fleet.

I think I'll hire a freelancer for my icons but the asset store could use more alternatives.

46. Jerome-P

Jerome-P

What I would like to see on the Asset Store is a requirement for the asset producers that would require them to state:

1) Unity 5 ready?
    2) PBR ready? (if it is about models)
    3) Obeys Unity's scale? (so that user don't get doors that are 20 metres high just because the asset producer did not care about it).

That would make the Unity Asset Store a lot more professional.

DesertRaven likes this.
  47. Karamasha

Karamasha

Texturing tools would be nice

DesertRaven likes this.
  48. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

I'd like to see more and current standard assets to give beginners and artists a better starting point. So far the standard assets that come with Unity 5 aren't even up to date with Unity 5.
    1. How about some more free PBS materials/ textures for terrain, walls, wood, metals, etc. ?
    2. I'd like to see a better water system, like 3 different materials with the PBS shaders for - River water (with flow), - sitting water (smaller waves or no waves) ocean water. Basically evolve water 4 to 5.
    3. Some better controllers for PC, first and 3rd person, with a basic attractive male or female character, easily customizable with own character model.
    4. A basic day and night system.

Jerome-P likes this.
  49. Jerome-P

Jerome-P

@DesertRaven I have heard that Allegorithmic are going to release an Indy version for Substance Database 2.0.

DesertRaven likes this.
  50. Jerome-P

Jerome-P

Yeah, I would like a really well done 3rd person framework as well, but I think it requires more work than Unity is going to invest. I am currently using Third Person Controller from the Asset Store. Perhaps www.kubold.com is going to jump in for some animations, but I doubt that he will do that. Seems to be a strange guy. Great animations but never replied to my mails.

drt_gamearound and DesertRaven like this.