Search Unity

Official What assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Which assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

1. Art Packages - Mobile/Web

24.0%
  2. Art Packages - Desktop

35.1%
  3. Complete Projects - Mobile/Web

18.0%
  4. Complete Projects - Desktop

23.5%
  5. Scripts/Script Packages

44.6%
  6. Extensions

36.9%
  7. Shaders

28.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. crunchyoverseas

crunchyoverseas

I find it interesting you don't feel your original response was exactly that, you didn't like the idea so instead of just moving on you tried to attack it. Curious....

2. Redz0ne

Redz0ne

In my original post I suggested you use the review section as a means to reach out to the developers and give your honest opinion on what that package is worth... I did elaborate that if all you wanted to do was cut them down that it may not be prudent to do so... But my initial point in this lamentable exchange was that if you feel that the developers were not giving you your money's worth, it's up to *you* to engage with them and not hold the Asset-store team responsible for failing to enact "more stringent quality checks on assets valued at higher than a certain price."

Just take what you can from this exchange and move on. This isn't about scoring points, it's about doing what can be done to give suggestions to the asset-store team on what they can do to improve the service.

If you still feel a seller isn't up to snuff, then talk to them. But at the end of the day it isn't the asset-store team's responsibility to enforce anything more than what they're already enforcing (and really, they have some pretty stringent QA checks already... Trust me, I know.)

There is one thing that I do want to end with, however... And that is that I'm going to suggest that in your lifetime if you find yourself in need of a job that you try to find a job where you do customer service in a profesisonal setting. I think that would give you a healthy understanding of why the attitude you've been showing here isn't going to help you get what you hope to see... Because when you offer this kind of attitude, you're going to be getting more brick walls than you will open doors. Sure, you can easily, EASILY argue that because a seller is selling something that they have an obligation towards supporting it... And in that sense I will somewhat agree with you... But there's a reason the saying "More flies with honey" is a saying. Kindness and a willingness to go half-way goes a LONG way to lubricating the wheels of customer service and support... And it's a bit off-putting because if this attitude is what you've been giving sellers on the store, then it makes sense to me (both as a veteran of the call-center era and as a seller) why you may not have been getting much satisfaction from your purchases.

We are people too. Just sayin'.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  3. orb

orb

Get a room, you two!

On topic: What I'd like in the store is deeper sub-categories. Well, sub-sub-categories and possibly sub-sub-sub-categories :)

You can always split them up further even at the deepest current level, but perhaps genre should be a tag instead of a category under each. Any keyword that is repeated within greater categories is a candidate for a tag.

4. crunchyoverseas

crunchyoverseas

Hilarious...I've been in customer service for 8 years...really 12 in other jobs. I'm known for single-handedly turning around the night shift and bringing complaints down to none from notoriously fussy faculty and private university students.

You might hit up the forum and see what other people are saying about that particular asset, and maybe what I said would make more sense.

But I do get what your saying...I'm human like everyone and therefore not always perfect at describing what I'm trying to say and of course I should have separated the two thoughts. One, I still feel, is appropriate for this thread but it bled into something that, like you say, would be better served on that particular assets forum.

I'm not a grudge guy, bygones be bygones and all of that is my style...And I is people as well :)

5. crunchyoverseas

crunchyoverseas

Also, what I mean by Hilarious, is I find it amusing two customer service guys got in a low-key flame war...not trying to be snarky (not sure how that came off).:confused:

6. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

compwagon likes this.
  7. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Another idea id like to see is "pay with asset store credit", active den has it.

Saad_Khawaja and GibTreaty like this.
  8. Supergeek

Supergeek

Better search options.

GarBenjamin, Gatto_matto and Socrates like this.
  9. aaronhm77

aaronhm77

I would like to see more RTS assets in the asset store.

it has been disappointing and surprising to me that the asset store has so few.

thankz

aaronhm77

10. Zarganth

Zarganth

What I'd like to see on Unity Asset Store is costumes and armor.

It has environment, tools, weapons, people, scripting and audio assets but I can't find a single costume/armor asset. Not one.

If you ask me it's the thing that's the most needed. In fact I humbly ask that such assets be created (Preferably in blender and/or fbx files).

I don't know if this post should be here or not. If not then I apologise.

Requested costumes:
    • Futuristic
      • Casual clothes
      • Party clothes.
      • Formal clothes.
      • Armoured suits.
    • Modern
      • Casual clothes
      • Party clothes
      • Formal clothes
    • Historical/Fantasy (Different cultures: English, Japanese, Chinese, Korean to name a few)
      • Clothes for Villagers.
      • Clothes for Nobility.
      • Clothes for Royalty.
      • Clothes/Armors for Melee and Ranged Fighters.
      • Clothes/Armors for Magic Characters.
      • Clothes/Armors for Stealth Characters.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    ChrisSch and aaronhm77 like this.
  11. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

@Zarganth I would like to see same. best I have found is this asset which does have the fantasy armors. Only on my wish list at the moment so can't say how good it is.

12. Zarganth

Zarganth

@Tortyfoo That's a good one but it's limited in it's character creation ability.

What I want is an asset full of the above mentioned clothes/costumes/armour that I can put onto makehuman/blender models so they aren't in the nude anymore. It will allow greater leeway in customisation.

I know a better option would be a program that takes a nude model and automatically resizes and puts the above mentioned clothes on them after the user selects the outfit needed. But I'd settle for clothes I can manually manipulate and put on my characters in blender.

(Plus I don't want just armor. I also need other clothes. Specifically the ones mentioned in the Historical/Fantasy section of my previous comment.)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  13. TonyLi

TonyLi

The list of UMA outfits is small but growing.

Not on the Asset Store, but Arteria 3D has OBM (One Base Male/Female) characters that may be exactly what you're looking for.

14. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Would like to see more character controllers, or a whole system of them that you can just swap out easily.. like for different types of games.

Also for 2d space games, there's a number of `main player ships` but not really much in the way of `enemy` or `alien` ships.

15. aaronhm77

aaronhm77

i think unity wants its members to work and use our imaginations and limits what is put on the asset store so that we members do not become spoiled rotten brats which would ruin unities purpose, which i believe is so that people, especially young people, can LEARN how to make games from SCRATCH and not just copy and paste assets and games all ready made.:cool:

16. Saad_Khawaja

Saad_Khawaja

I think "Pay with Asset Store Credits" is a must. Can't believe it's not possible at the moment - had to purchase an asset the other day and found out.

randomperson42 likes this.
  17. Sanguine Jackal

Sanguine Jackal

I'm considering making this, though I wouldn't be able to rig anything. Would people still seriously be interested in this, do you think? I tried to look in the asset store and... there wasn't much in the way of clothing.

18. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

2D art. Props, tilesets and characters.

If every person making 3d models to sell would also render out the images they'd get two products to sell instead of one. If you are already making models and animating them why not go ahead and render out the animations? Keep the frame count reasonable... maybe 12 frames per animation max unless the animation is super complex. Developers can always skip frames if they want. I would very much like to see 2D objects (collectibles, powerups, etc), static tiles, animated tiles and animated characters. Render them out at 256x256 or even 512x512 minimim compression png and we can scale them down as needed.

In fact, asset developers could get multiple 2D packs. Straight side view (platformer style), straight top down view, angled (isometric) top down view and even pseudo 3D style kinda FPS style.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    GibTreaty likes this.
  19. ConnorC

ConnorC

I am amazed no one has created a MOBA (LoL/DotA) style starter kit.

I would pay good money to get a kit like this and with the size of the MOBA scene/community I wouldn't be surprised if others would to.

It would have to include things like:
    Auto attacking.
    Abilities (Locking them off based on your level)
    Levelling + Gold from minions
    A way to select your hero
    Editable states for heroes
    A way to buy items to improve stats
    and some basic networking.

Its a big job but if we can get a fighting kit and a card game kit I am shocked no ones made a MOBA kit

White_Mouse likes this.
  20. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

I'm surprised I've never seen any first person ready animations. There are quite a lot of animations on the store now but I've never seen on the asset store or anywhere else for that matter first person ready ones.

(Just using normal animations in first person, of course, always looks weird and proper fps ones need to actually move really awkward to keep the hands in the right position oriented towards the body)

21. Roni92

Roni92

Proper anti aliasing, bloom, dof etc ? Good post effects are really needed I think. There are some posfx packs, I know but noone of them have aa for example.

shkar-noori likes this.
  22. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

+10 for better AA, natively or through the Asset Store

23. DubisGamer

DubisGamer

I need a north american b-25 mitchell

Attached Files:

24. Mafutta

Mafutta

More modular kits would be great. Its nice to have the ability to customize the assets (even if you are not a graphic designer) Modular kits allow for this but I feel for the most part the kits offered are very limited and needs more 'building blocks'. The theme of each kit is important and consistency in the look and feel and function too. Ie standard scales, easy snapping together of modular components in a Sci Fi Level Kit and so on. I am looking for better quality desktop graphics and models for a space game for example and have found quite a few but more choice is always good. Artists should consider the whole world and add props accordingly . MSGDI does it the right way and has a huge and compatible selection of assets. Price could be lower perhaps for all assets yes or offer discounts if you buy Set 2 of 10 etc.

25. Mafutta

Mafutta

But Why not. Cheaper Quality Assets deserves to beat Expensive Older Assets!

26. OctoMan

OctoMan

@Zarganth
    I like the idea about the clothes and armor, but the problem will always be the size.

Every model has its own chest and hip size, women have different breastsizes. Some are tiny some are fat in their propotions. I would work on an asset pack for the store, but i wouldn't know where to start and how to finish this, if you don't know how people would use them except for maybe remoddeling / tweaking in blender or stuff.

Next problem is when you tweak to much you might get problems with the UV Coordinates in other words maybe stretchy textures. So you or whoever uses the clothes would need to fix those as well.

Next thing is you need to rigg and animate the clothes. So only people with rigging and animation knowledge will be able to use those for characters.

Do you really think there is a market where people get stuff without being able to use it instandly?

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

I grew up with racing games, and the arrangements of its elements on the race screen had delighted me. So therefore, these references attached are used when creating different racing UI based on racing games from the 90's.

For instance, Daytona USA (Arcade, Sega, 1994). The RPM/Speed/Gear gauges are placed overhead, so they won't be looking down, and keep the eyes on the road at all times. This was also seen on San Francisco Rush: Xtreme Racing (Arcade, Atari, 1997)

Another reference is from Virtua Racing (Arcade/Genesis/32X, Sega, 1992), notice that this first game published by AM2, in which it was originally be meant a prototype, has the analog Tachometer on the upper left. The speedometer is digital and the gear indicator is hidden on Automatic. It was originally present on Super Monaco GP (Arcade, Sega, 1988)

The last image is from Beetle Adventure Racing (Nintendo 64, Electronic Arts, 1999). Magnified close-ups of tachometers came in NFS III: Hot Pursuit (PC/PSX, 1998), and again for NFS High Stakes (PSX, 1999).

Digital tachometers were common in Formula cars prior to 1999, like in this Indy 500 footage:

When the revs increase, the bar fills in green, yellow, red gradients. another feature is that the track map rotates in relation to the car's location, Where the player's car is a determined icon flashing, the leader car is of a bigger icon, and the other cars are ordinary dots on the map.

Also, from the defunct Cruisin' franchise, this one comes from Cruisin USA (Arcade, Midway, 1994) If you look down. The speedometer is digital all the time on the bottom left, and the revs at the adjacent side as a 90-degree filling gradient, unique with a digital gear indicator and it's h-pattern that has the same function, and the type of transmission underneath it. Another featurette is the radar that replaces the track map. This was noticed in Off-road Challenge (Arcade, Midway, 1997)

These should come also as adjusted to fit the player's POV.

Let me know if you need a better clarification of what I'm saying.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2014
  28. Jaqal

Jaqal

More high quality animated models. Can never have enough. Specifically dinosaurs......more dinosaurs!

JamesArndt likes this.
  29. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

30. Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

Looking for a Kit that allows the creation of a Skyrim-Like game, but without all its annyoing hardcoded limits. fligh, of course, should be there :p

31. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I just got an email from steam that said a game in my wishlist went on sale. I guess that.

32. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

I do believe there should be a mobile game in-app patcher solution.

I think its a must have for all mobile devs!

33. Cizfroz

Cizfroz

Well... I want to see Faster in browsing AssetStore. Until current version, browsing on AssetStore is so slow. But, FireFox did it very-very fast.

34. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

How about UI packages integrated with Unity's new UI system? Would people be interested in those?
    For example making the whole gameplay and just finding and downloading a UI package with graphics that fit your game so you don't have to worry about the whole UI.
    What types of UI would you look for? For example: Cartoony, sci-fi, RPG style, casual gaming, robotic, simplistic?

35. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

I would look for simple sci-fi, since it can fit almost any games really well.

Rodiaz89 likes this.
  36. Miya7

Miya7

Well Without the models there is no point! :rolleyes:

37. dilbertian

dilbertian

The Asset store is great but starting to show some sag in performance and capability with its success and the ever amassing number of products.

Here are some recommendations for improvements:

1. Load the home page MUCH quicker - either through optimization and/or caching. It is currently taking 30 seconds to load which is about 29.75 seconds too long. I am on FiOS with Gigabit internal LAN. My speedtest.net is 58/64 Mbps and average latency is 8ms (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4033009356). My PC is running at 4.4Ghz with 64GB RAM and SSD.

2. Add more "well thought out" hierarchically organized "hard" categories for browsing - e.g. under UI add NGUI, Unity UI, Unity GUI (legacy), etc. I don't want to search "Unity UI" and see NGUI or legacy Unity GUI items showing up on the results page.

3. Products should have a broad number of specific attributes to drive searching - where it currently appears driven by product description or title.

4. Add/keep a history of my searches, so that I can go back later and review/refine them should I get interrupted and try and resume my search efforts later.

5. When I execute a search, provide additional dynamic yet "intelligent" recommendations for filtering my result set - e.g. like Amazon does it - with ability to limit high level filter set by area/grouping and then ability to refine results by various dynamic content specific "intelligent" filter options.

I hope you find my recommendations helpful.

-Tim

38. greenLantern101

greenLantern101

Yes, I have just noticed that also, it would be much appreciated if the home page loaded quicker, and if all the pages in general loaded much quicker.

39. Jacksendary

Jacksendary

I would love to see GUI that is optimized for the new GUI system, I feel like there's only old GUI/GUISkins availble atm... I know I could use assets from there but for the most they never seem to work well with the new system. I Would also really love to see Creative Common Licensed Assets.

Also I find it crazy how many is asking for scripts but I guess that's because I'm a programmer and find 3D modeling to be dark magic :p - Would love to hear what sort of scripts people would like to see on assets store tho, maybe I could earn a cup of coffee that way

40. Scanlab

Scanlab

The problem with clothing is that it needs to be fitted and that is something which has to be done only after you've chosen the character you wish to use in your game. Clothing is like a property and it's fit belongs solely to the one wearing it.

Maybe it is doable, but the end result will look too generic like with all other character generator packages with featureless body types.

It is something I considered doing for my store, but decided to abandon, at least for now with lack of time to custom fit things. Perhaps in the future.

41. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

I'd like to see an equivalent to Unity's bounds for colliders / mesh but instead of an AABB make an object-oriented bounding box (OOBB) implementation. I've hit some times I need a bounds that rotates but I don't need physics collisions just the bounds. This gets into math territory I'm dodgy at so I'd love to see someone else's implementation.

42. richardn66

richardn66

Hi

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I think it would be nice (as an avid Asset purchaser) if the following features/capabilities were added to the store (we to me it would :) -

1. When searching being able to re-order the search results (there is no re-ordering options like you get when clicking on a Store group/node - i.e. 'SORT BY RELEVANCE / POPULARITY / NAME / PRICE / RATING / RELEASE DATE' - sorry copied it from site; i'm not shouting :)
    2. Filter by price range (min - max)
    3. Add hash tags which are marked again the asset for my account only. This will be able to help me find assets based on how i perceive them as opposed to where they are positioned in the hierarchy system.
    4. Receive notifications when an asset has it's price reduced. There are times that the developer will do this outside of the Store's own deals. Would also be good to be able to decide whether you want to have alerts (for price reductions) for all assets or those that you have added to your Wish List.

If this is in the wrong place please let me know.

Cheers

Richard

TLMultimedia likes this.
  43. Bvel

Bvel

Since a lot of the requests here aren't very recent, it would be great if anyone wanting more art assets could post what they're looking for at the moment.

Thanks

44. greenLantern101

greenLantern101

I would like some rigged mechanim models for quad-legged or 6-legged insects/spiders/horses/animals, etc. I would also like to see some more 3d robots mechanim, also some should be weaponized.

45. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

One thing I'd like to see either in unity or as an asset is a general project `optimizer` .... there are so many ways to improve performance in a project and it would be good to have some tool that analyzes the project and comes up with a list of suggestions and then buttons to click or checkboxes or something to perform the optimizations automatically. This could include script optimization, automatically converting to pool of object, automatic texture atlasing, texture compression, batch improvement, etc.

Socrates and theANMATOR2b like this.
  46. Yann

Yann

Someone please make us a beautiful, efficient and versatile shadow-catcher shader that would work perfectly in Unity 4 and 5... this is so much needed in so many projects !

47. orb

orb

I see my meta-wishes get implemented in the store, so here's a couple more :)

I wish there was a requirement to list dimensions of all 2D art - size of characters, whether it's individual frames or sheets. When the asset is in sheet form, it's hard to tell the size because it's shrunk down in the previews.

The other thing I miss is an e-mail when something on my wish list is on sale.

Socrates and theANMATOR2b like this.
  48. Billy4184

Billy4184

I think it would be great to have place for people to vote for what they are looking for at a given time, this thread is only really useful for pointing out general deficiencies in the asset store market range, no one's coming in here with what they need for their next game. Or make available some slightly less exact but still extremely useful data, such as people being able to list what type of game they are making at the moment.

For example, I have no idea whether there really are enough people making a space game to warrant putting together an ship asset pack that might take a week or two of full time work. Making a thread or a poll is pretty useless for this kind of thing. Since Unity no doubt have a lot of useful data on their customers I think it would be great if they could find a way to more closely connect asset developers with game developers.

Edit: even just making this poll relevant for only the previous month or so would be a great help, no doubt a lot of what people voted for way back when has already been more than sufficiently catered for.

Regards, William

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    chrisall76 likes this.
  49. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

50. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b