Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official What assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Which assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

1. Art Packages - Mobile/Web

24.0%
  2. Art Packages - Desktop

35.2%
  3. Complete Projects - Mobile/Web

18.0%
  4. Complete Projects - Desktop

23.5%
  5. Scripts/Script Packages

44.6%
  6. Extensions

36.9%
  7. Shaders

28.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sonicviz

sonicviz

2. Ghidera

Ghidera

I've been looking and looking and haven't found anything like that. Well, there is the mobile low poly men and women packs in the asset store but they're just far too low poly for a FPS or FPRPG.

Where did you see these?

3. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Has been ages; honestly I cannot go and dig again trough all the assets; but you will find a couple of space characters and few fantasy ones, that has a certain degree of customization; otherwise just check other vendors on the forum; there are plenty :) Arteria is the first that pops in my mind.

What I miss here is Japanese/anime stuff....not much that can be used, if you want to make a remake of Super Robot Wars, or something with nice Japanese characters, a la Persona 4 for example. Mostly you see a lot of people focused on the stuff that sell....which means that the variety suffer :)

The few Japanese stuff is coming from Japanese or Asian sellers, and the release are quite diluted, which is a shame.

4. PM_games

PM_games

There is a fair amount of coding needed for players to give commands to units. I would love something that is more visual and simplifies the process. If there is something like that in the Unity store that I missed please let me know :D

5. iMob

iMob

Since yesterday i can´t see the vote count behind the stars in the asset store ( ***** (423) for example).
    I don´t know, if it is a temporary problem or if Unity decide to hide it now.
    I would like to see the count again. I can better estimate how popular a tool is, if i see this number.
    And for my own assets it is also nice to see, how many people do voting.

6. chingwa

chingwa

7. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I'd personally love to see more post-process FXs

There are already a few good solutions, but some competition would be good.

I'm talking about Bloom, Glare, Motion Blur, God Rays (directional rays), volumetric effects

8. Hard target

Hard target

Ai that learns the fighting tactics of those that play against it.And also randomly selects from them and stupid video game ai.I think that would be a great addon.

9. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

That's not what you really want. ;) Programmers can make AI smarter than any player, but that wouldn't be fun to play. Who wants to play a game in which it's impossible to win? AI is all about fun and that's not always same as smart. AI programmers are often ending up making their NPC's intentionally stupid just to give the player a chance to win. It's also about balancing and making the NPC's not too smart and not too stupid, so that player can win eventually, but only after a couple of tries. This is the hard part, you should keep AI balanced and at the same time make them look like they are giving their best to win! Let the player feel rewarded for his offerts, and let him feel he has learned some new fighting tactics. And that's how you make the game fun for the player :cool:

10. deiong

deiong

would absolutely love to see a monopoly game type board game kit :)

11. jerotas

jerotas

Here's what I want. I sent the following email to the Caitlyn and Kamio 9 days ago. No response so far, so I don't think I'll be getting one at all. Who agrees with the idea below?
    - - - -
    I think the algorithm for determining the 3 "most helpful reviews" isn't quite right. Here's why.

DF-GUI is showing 3 reviews all with only 6/6 helpful ratings. However if you show all ratings, there's one that 28/30 people found helpful. Obviously the *percentage* of people that found it helpful vs not helpful is lower, but there's a much higher number of people that found it helpful versus the 3 reviews that are shown by default. So I think that "helpful number" needs to factor in and not be just straight percentage, don't you? Invariably, when there are 20 helpful / not helpful votes on a single review, *someone* will vote not helpful and then the vastly more helpful comment gets lost. If it works this way, only semi-helpful reviews are shown as a rule.

Maybe as long as the helpful votes divided by total votes is over 80% (or some other number), just count the number of "helpful" votes and use that number alone, ranking usefulness by it?

99thmonkey likes this.
  12. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I think yes, you're right. Even a simple (helpful - notHelpful) formula would make more sense and work better than percentage. So, you have my support for the idea.

13. jerotas

jerotas

Indeed, that would be even easier and better, good idea! We noticed the problem because even our asset has a 9/10 review that's better and more helpful than the ones that show up in that "3 most helpful" section.

14. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I'm looking for a realistic space skybox set in Earth orbit. Suppose you're making a space simulator using those groovy free NASA assets in the store... what would you use as a background?

I've just spent quite a bit of time searching, and while I find lots of fantasy-style space backgrounds (full of galaxies and bright blue gas and whatnot), I haven't found anything realistic. (If anybody knows of something I've missed, please do throw me a hint!)

15. randomperson42

randomperson42

The asset store should prompt or remind customers to rate and/or review the product after they have downloaded it. This helps potential customers decide what is good quality and what isn't, and it also helps the publishers of quality assets.

Also, as others have said, publishers should have the option to get email notifications of reviews for their products.

devandart, HemiMG and Graph like this.
  16. jdiperla

jdiperla

I would love to see art content. Particular a complete Indoor Toon package that would allow you to design indoor scenery by defining walls, windows, floors and doors while at the same time having furniture and objects to fill the scene. Each object can be styled by era, toon type, textures and materials so that you can have a variety of different toon indoor scenery. I have been looking for something that would allow us to make 3d style indoor toon settings particularly items that would match Reallusions Elements: Toon City and also one that mimics Maniac Mansion:Day of the Tentacle style. Turbosquids Toon Santa crib project comes close, but I am looking for more customization options...

17. xsolla

xsolla

Hi all, we are Xsolla and we provide localized payment optimization services to help your game sell globally. Our mission is to add value to game developers and publishers with advanced billing services in one cross-platform payment solution. It allows to almost double their revenues by publishing the game on different platforms (web and mobile) and reducing player acquisition costs.

We are already partnered and approved to be a part of the Asset Store with Unity. Read about our featured Unity partnership on Gamasutra and other sources (Unity blog, Yahoo, Inside Mobile Apps, and more). However, we have not completed the integration yet as we are looking for more feedback from Unity game developers to better understand their needs.

As game developers, what would you like to see in a payment platform for your Unity-based games? Which features and technologies are you missing or have in mind? Any suggestions, feedback, and advice will be duly noted and taken into much consideration as we take steps to integrate into the Unity Asset Store.

Thank you for your time and we hope to hear from all of you!

18. jerotas

jerotas

Are you a competitor to Unibill? Do you have any links about your features?

So far UniBill takes care of our needs, but there is no Facebook in-app-purchase available there...

19. xsolla

xsolla

We are not a competitor to Unibill as we don’t cover in-app purchases on iTunes and Google Play.

You can learn more about integration, our products, and our API at this page.
    You can also check out some of our interactive demos at Xsolla Demos or just obtain any information you were curious about Xsolla.

Thanks for the response and we'd love to hear from you with suggestions.

20. Gunhi

Gunhi

I submitted my asset a week ago and its status is still Pending review. So, how long does review progress actually take?

----- Pending Review 2014-05-15 ------

21. crafTDev

crafTDev

Well my stuff takes no more than 3 days, but I've been a publisher since the early months of the store before it became this big. But now if you are a new publisher the process might take a little longer and that's not including if it will be accepted or not.

22. TonyLi

TonyLi

It also depends on the complexity of the product, the amount of changes (if it's an update), and I suspect the current workload over there. I've had a submission take as long as 8 days, others just 2 days, for the same product.

23. axCed

axCed

As developers we need to know perfectly how our game is made, but Unity makes it hard to know where we are using assets and scripts.

We need a feature to know where our assets are used in the project. For now, we need to do this manually and it is very annoying, it takes a long time and it is easy to make mistakes.

For example, if we have a material in our resources folder, we should be able to "right click" and select "find" and get everywhere in the project, every prefabs, every scenes, etc where it is used.

24. mkgame

mkgame

Art packages for desktop is a gap in the asset store. Searched for modern military vehicles, just some tanks, 1-2 transporter. Modern soldiers with different kind of weapons are missing or they are too expensive. Im a programmer, mostly, don't have the time to make 3D models.

In game music (scifi, techno, guitar, horror for a modern RTS) is the another gap in the asset store, there i have to use another expensive shops.

Pathfinding solution for an RTS is a gap, we have to reinvent the wheel again and again...(even in Unity pro) Arons pathfinding is really the best one in the shop, but it has no ready RTS solutions. We miss the support of different size of units, moving without hanging in a obstacles, local avoidance is missing now in Arons pathfinding (help him, this was the only one with a serious local avoidance solution), formation is missing.

Game ready pathfinding is a real blocker for Unity games/game prototyping! (and now, fast prototyping is impossible for RTS games in Unity free without Arons local avoidance)

25. Mark-Currie

Mark-Currie

You'd something like "Find References in Scene" but more comprehensive, yeah?

26. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Absolutely agree with this, some more Desktop-targeted 3d art assets, maybe even PBR-ready, would be fantastic. Recent games like The Forest have proved that Unity can be just as competitive visually as other engines on desktop, there's definitely demand for high quality 3d assets.

27. TonyLi

TonyLi

+1 for more desktop-targeted art!

28. Redz0ne

Redz0ne

... Bitcoin?

(to buy with and be paid in if you're a publisher.)

29. Smartline-Games

Smartline-Games

Hello, I'd like to see a sale on the asset store which is for the models section.

That would be very nice, or atleast just A catogory of them; for example Props, Environments, Characters etc.

30. Ankit-Priyarup

Ankit-Priyarup

There should be WYSIWYG like applications in unity for 3d model creation say I want to create an interior design of house and I don't know 3d modeling.

31. TonyLi

TonyLi

What about ProBuilder or GameDraw?

32. Ankit-Priyarup

Ankit-Priyarup

They are still quite complex, I mean for me coz I do programming mainly. I was talking about something as simple as the mixamo fuse.

33. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

I've already given the suggestion for more desktop-targeted art, but in particular, any "next-gen" gun model (4K PBR-ready textures, 10k poly budget, rigged) would be awesome. Also, like some other packs do, if you included a few LODs in the pack, you probably wouldn't lose much/any of the low-end mobile market, whilst improving the game-readiness of the pack for desktop users!

34. Ankit-Priyarup

Ankit-Priyarup

And also there is something called 2D CHARACTER HIGH QUALITY SPRITES SHEETS which lacks on the asset store. An WYSIWYG application which can create 2d characters spritesheets in seconds just drag and drop things like beards, caps, etc and also it will animate it automatically via bone animation or something like that.

35. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

How about asset reviewed by real programmer to separated the spaghetti code from neat code?

How many script kiddy without any prior serious experience on any title publish asset that are simply a joke in term of efficiency and performance.

Some assets are pretty close to a scam and it is a shame no one are pulling them out from the store.

Like a poster previously mention make a pro section and a hobbyist section before people loose their hard earn money on badly made assets.

Also how many assets in there have a decent help manual? Very few indeed and before being accept in the store they should have a decent help manual since every software normally came with one.

We lost close to 700$ in assets that we thought would be good even some with good review.

Seem like the trend these days is let's dumb down everything and make a quick buck out of it.

Graph and Socrates like this.
  36. Qwolf

Qwolf

Agreed! I would love to make very cheap and well documented assets (As I am still learning), but I run short on ideas.
    If someone has ideas for script based assets, I would definitely like to know!

37. randomperson42

randomperson42

+1

Qwolf likes this.
  38. Redz0ne

Redz0ne

Well, that would depend on what you'd need and what you'd be aiming for.

For instance, would you want normals, spec/gloss and the usual?

Also... how would it be rigged? Would it animate? (the hammer moving, the chamber being cocked, the safety being toggled on and off?) Also, what if you're hoping for an "iron sights" approach with an FPS? You'd need to have the bits that are closer to the player's perspective be higher detailed than the rest.

Don't get me wrong, it's a stellar idea but there are a lot of questions that would need to be answered.

Also, keep in mind that the names would have to be changed (and possibly some other details) to avoid infringement... There's a reason why it's not a "Desert Eagle" or a "Remington" and it's a "Desert Falcon" and "Rhymington." (gun companies tend to have very big legal teams and infringing on their trademarks would have a cease and desist sent to you or the Unity team pretty quickly.) So, maybe look around and compare. There may already be current/next-gen quality firearms there but named differently...

39. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Rigged like in any current FPS, such as BF4, CoD etc. with a detachable magazine, chamber able to be cocked. Currently I don't think there are many (if any) PBR-ready desktop/nextgen targeted firearm assets on the store.

40. Redz0ne

Redz0ne

Probably because Unity 5 hasn't been released yet... Until it's released there's no real way to confirm that they would work properly with a preview of a PBR shader/texture set in the current setup.

EDIT: That said, I do think that it's a good idea... So, I'm not trying to talk trash (far from it.) And from what I can gather it's not that hard to make a PBR shader compliant asset... I'm just questioning whether it's fair to ask that of asset-store vendors when there's really no way to ensure that they're compatable with Unity at this point in time (this is with my current understanding... If there's a way to get it with Unity4 or older, I'd love to learn. I am quite interested in PBR as well since it seems to be a much easier way to handle realism than before.)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  41. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

As a Unity Developer looking to push the quality of my work and everything I do, I would love to see better post-processing tools... I was looking at this earlier:

And maybe in Unity 5, you guys should seriously consider integrating this into Pro. It looks easy to control and the quality is top notch.

42. JesOb

JesOb

Add Particle System section for Particle Systems not for ParticleFX.
    Add Unity WebPlayer demo previews right inside AssetStore images section

Redz0ne likes this.
  43. Redz0ne

Redz0ne

That and/or embedded YouTube videos in the picture section would be really nice.

randomperson42 likes this.
  44. crunchyoverseas

crunchyoverseas

I like scripts and assets that cut down on development time. Behavior Designer is a good example. What I would really like is something like Planetary Terrain V2 but in a more "professionally developed by a team" version and less, cool idea put together by a hobbyist way it is now.

Maybe stricter QA standards on assets that cost over a certain dollar value.

45. Redz0ne

Redz0ne

That's what the review section is for. That said, if all you have to say are just negative s#it-posts then that might not be the best idea.

If you feel an asset isn't as good as it could be, why not try to reach out to the creator and offer some solid critiquing (not just yelling/criticism though... constructive, helpful and with the intent to help improve it.) The thing about the asset store itself is that it allows people to contribute what they can. And the best part is is that a package can be easily updated and improved upon without having to worry about screwing over previous customers that may have bought it before the update.

(edit) And another bonus... Everything on the asset-store is cumulative. So, say someone were to release one new asset a month... In a year that's 12 assets... In two years that 24, in three that's 36, etc... And none of it is immune from being able to be improved upon even after release. Heck, I have some asset packs that I've bought that have been added to since I bought them and that's seriously increased the value.

So, if you truly feel a particular asset is less than it could be, why not try and reach out to give the developers a chance to get some feedback on how to improve it? If you can help them improve it, you win by getting access to the improved assets, new customers win by getting an asset that's even better and previous customers win by being able to gain access to these new updates without having to reinvest in a whole new package (much like how some software companies do it... I'm looking at you, Autodesk...)

46. crunchyoverseas

crunchyoverseas

Well, no reason to get your nipples in a twist...

I like the asset and think it is well done, for only having one person working on it...but they are working on other stuff so it's not being updated anymore...another problem, people leaving assets behind and you don't know if the item has support or not anymore. That is my main concern, unless you do your research you don't really know if it's a professional asset or a hobby asset. There could be a means of QA at the asset store. Nothing wrong with hobby stuff, I'm a hobbyist so I'm okay with it. But if a customer paid a hundred bucks for spaghetti code...a customer would rightly be pissed.

So this isn't a "negative review sh!t post" or whatever, its a call for better QA at the asset store, especially for anything priced over $100. That's all. Or a way of marking it as a pro asset with support by a software script "company" (more likely group) as opposed to a hobby asset which has a "may or may not be supported" tag.

chelnok likes this.
  47. Redz0ne

Redz0ne

Where'd you get the impression that I was getting my "nipples in a twist?"

Well, if it works and it's not causing problems with the code, is it really the Asset-store's job to reject something that may not have been done in the most efficient or optimized way? In programming as well as many other things there are a thousand ways to get something done and it's not really the Asset-store's responsibility to enforce that code is made to a rather particular standard. Besides, if you know that it's unoptimized, you are (afaik) allowed to modify it or clean it up yourself. That and if you have the chops to see a package is needing work, why not fix it yourself?[/QUOTE]

Support, while nice, isn't a requirement (afaik) for selling on the asset store. Anything that the developer does that goes over and beyond the required help file (to ensure you know how to use it properly) is a value-added bonus. Sure, it's awesome when you find a seller that is giving after-market support but it's not required.

I get the feeling that this conversation ought to be moved to a more appropriate thread rather than cluttering up this one though... So, I'm going to end it here.

48. jerotas

jerotas

You are correct, and that's stated in the terms actually. Of course, letting your plugin become abandonware won't help your reviews very much, which means you won't get as many sales. Mostly reviews for all the top plugins speak highly of support, and if that isn't there - well, people feel much less compelled to actually rate your product. So it's generally a lose-lose to not support and improve your product.

49. crunchyoverseas

crunchyoverseas

Yeah, how dare I clutter up this discussion of improvements for the asset store with ideas for improvements for the asset store. I guess this is a thread where you don't suggest any improvements you just state what is current the case (no requirement).

Maybe, you'll understand it if I phrase it this way. Some people would like to know if an asset they are going to buy is currently being supported by the developer. Unity could have a one sentence or word that indicate this is a supported or unsupported asset. Unity doesn't currently do that, so including that would be, OMG, something I would like to see in the Asset store. Does that make sense? Maybe you'd like to argue I'm not using the correct font for this discussion now...

50. Redz0ne

Redz0ne

Which further reinforces my opinion that if a seller is to succeed then support and customer-engagement is a good idea. All that being said, however, it does bear mentioning that in a good many cases where there are assets up there are some negative reviews that come across and sit there dragging the score down which could be solved by reading the description or help file. I have a package up and aside from the more recent comments a good deal of the negative press I was getting was when people weren't reading the instructions. So, in a sense it's a double-edged sword here... Sometimes you'll get a developer that goes over and above what's expected of them and they will still sink (I could say something paranoid about deliberate vote-bombing to reflect the competitivity of the market... But as true as that may or may not be, it's still paranoia.) Heck, I've got a package up on the asset store and though I know that I'm due for an update and revision, I had to deal with people downvoting it for issues that would have never happened had they read the manual or even the description of the item on the asset store itself. And the sad thing is, i've noticed that users aren't usually inclined very often to re-rate, especially the one-star voters. So, that doesn't help my paranoia nor does it help encourage me. (that said, I live with depression... So, take what I just said with a grain of salt.)

Still... The Unity devs only offer the platform... It's up to the people on that platform to offer support if they should choose to do so. And you're right, if they fail to do so and something becomes abandonware then it is justifiable for it to start slipping. That's market dynamics in a nutshell.

For starters, cut out the passive-aggressive attitude. It's not going to win you any awards.

Second off, if you want it to be stated then reach out to the developers as opposed to the Asset-store team.

Condescending isn't going to get you what you want so just drop it already.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014