Search Unity

Official What assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Which assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

1. Art Packages - Mobile/Web

24.0%
  2. Art Packages - Desktop

35.1%
  3. Complete Projects - Mobile/Web

18.0%
  4. Complete Projects - Desktop

23.5%
  5. Scripts/Script Packages

44.6%
  6. Extensions

36.9%
  7. Shaders

28.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LaneFox

LaneFox

Can you clarify what it is you're looking for and at what price point?

2. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Click a button and it creates a AAA game for you. :D

3. dthurn

dthurn

Something I haven't been able to find on the asset store is a pack of 2D humanoid animations. There are dozens of different sets of retargetable 3D humanoid animation packs, but not really anything for 2D at all. I don't know a whole lot about Mecanim, but it seems like making 2D ones should be easier...

4. AtomsInTheVoid

AtomsInTheVoid

How about tools that help you navigate around your scene in a fast and unique way? /wink

vertexx and LaneFox like this.
  5. Grimbly

Grimbly

This is more a feature request for the asset store itself but it seemed the most appropriate place for it.

I would like to see the search functionality extended to include the option for removal of results similar to how Google handles it. An example, if I search for "Essent" it results in loads of items with "Essential" in the title, which is fine if that's what I wanted, but if I were looking for "Essent Database" items specifically then all of those "Essential" results are useless and require me to filter through them to find what I'm really after. Instead, it would be helpful to just search for "Essent -Essential" to remove all items that include "Essential" in the title and leave whatever remains.

Would be very helpful in many scenarios and I'm sure there are many other much more complex scenarios for filtering down the results that this could help with.

Just a thought :)

Runemark and johaswe like this.
  6. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Server authoritative input framework with client prediction and lag compensation just like the new DOTS multiplayer, but for Mirror.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    BetaMark likes this.
  7. Rowlan

Rowlan

I'd like to see Unity Reference Assets. I tried the Asian Garden today and while it looks very good it really lacks flair. I left it the way you get it from the store:

It lacks:

* wind and with it plants waving, lanterns waving
    * light of lanterns, the scene could easily be amped up by having a night version as well
    * much better water, water ripples, maybe fish in it
    * ambient sounds

In short: like all the other Snaps scenes this one lacks life. I don't mind this from asset developers but it would be really nice if Unity as asset provider would provide professional reference scenery.

Other than that more distinct Snaps like this please, especially varying by country.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Nyarlathothep likes this.
  8. Ed_Muel

Ed_Muel

I might be missing something, as it seems far too obvious, but how come I can't find any shotgun animations...

I can buy about 8000 different shotgun models, some of which are animated for fps, but not a single anim for tps shotguns... I was expecting a whole load of bad ass one handed reloads with a bit of flair, but so far I've come up blank.

JBR-games likes this.
  9. Rowlan

Rowlan

Is there really lack of lightsabers and do users need them?

Every time I see an update to the lightsabers asset I'm getting rather not amused:

lightsabers.png

Sorry, it's not the only one. It's the only one because it's illegal and Unity knows it, that guy definitely has no license from Disney / Lucas Arts. I already complained to Unity when the asset was called lightsabers. Does anyone have need for lightsabers? Because I'm a publisher now and if that's allowed on the Asset Store I could put my free ones on the Asset Store. Or everyone could just get them from github, but advertising as "the only asset" is kind of sad when it's common knowledge who the owner of the license is.

vertexx likes this.
  10. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Those are some great directions you created!

Anyways, just for the fun of it, I looked around to see what the copyrights were on lightsaber look a-likes. From what I could see, as long as the name is different and the handle is different then light or laser weapons in similar style to a lightsaber are not necessarily a copyright infringement. However, I think that is a line I would not want to cross. When dealing with big companies with such iconic images like that I'd rather keep my distance. I know other companies agree or we'd see a lot more lightsaber knock-off games. I'd think that maybe a fan-made free game might skirt Disney/Lucas Arts' attention but anything else is just putting a target on you.

Rowlan likes this.
  11. Rowlan

Rowlan

Exactly. I don't see a point of anyone making money of the IP of Disney / Lucas Arts. It's fairly easy to create this and you can have them for free with my tutorial. Here's how it looks like in standard pipeline:

So if there's need for an asset like that I don't mind putting it for free on the Asset Store. After all Unity's own Legal Team should know best. Obviously it is allowed ... that much about "Now you can be proud of the only asset ..."

12. vertexx

vertexx

For what it's worth..I'd like to see a tool/asset that can split and most importantly detach triangles from an object.
    These new split and detached tri's could then have colliders/ rigid bod's attached to them (manually would be ok).
    Why?...To generate the required outcomes for "destructible prefabs" used in explosions etc.
    At the moment a guy "Alan Baylis" has some mesh editors etc in the Asset store which "might" do the job...However there seems to be no way to contact the chap !!Any clues? Steven Picard..you seem to be amongst the more knowledgeable folk here...anything you can help with this request? Thanks !!!

13. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I had purchased an asset that did just what you're asking for called "Fracturing and Destruction" but, unfortunately, it was deprecated (even though it works fine in 2019.4 LTS.) However, I did come across this one called "Procedural Mesh Exploder" (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/particles-effects/procedural-mesh-exploder-176319) I haven't purchased it but the price definitely looks good at $4.99. Hopefully this will fit your needs. There are a couple others on the store but they are far more pricier (over $100.)

vertexx likes this.
  14. JBR-games

JBR-games

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/advanced-tools-mega-pack-43671#description

for what ever reason they did not remove the complete pack that includes the fracturing & destruction asset.

StevenPicard likes this.
  15. vertexx

vertexx

Many thanks, Steven...And for the record..Alan Baylis is alive and communicating! I'm much too impatient!!

EDIT: Also thanks, JBR-games. That looks very cool indeed. Lots of tools there . The fracturing tool looks very nice but I think I might wait and see if it (ever) goes on sale.
    3dsMax used to have a neat modifier that would explode a mesh in a very similar way to Advanced Tools Mega Pack, but it was discontinued after, I think Max5. One can still fracture a mesh in Max using the "detach" function, choosing triangles and the exporting as a FBX file..but it's tri's only and a bit of a bother. With the Explode/bomb modifier in Max5 and below..one could stop a frame and actually save the mesh. Now it's done with the particle modifier and no mesh available....Anyway I'll see what happens..Might get my old max5 back and running..
    Thanks to all!!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  16. JBR-games

JBR-games

q
    Blender has an add-on that can also fracture objects.

17. vertexx

vertexx

Thanks, JBR-games,
    I'll use Max until I find a Unity tool that will be ok.
    Funnily enough I'm starting to regain/re-learn all that Max stuff I'd nearly forgotten about!!
    So a win-win or whatever they say these days.
    Pity one cannot "try" a Unity tool just to see if it's ok!!
    Some of them look ok but these have a large price and I hate to ask for refunds.
    The many cheaper tools I have, certainly shove around a lot of triangles..and I guess if the mesh was more complex/finer then the fractures would be/look more realistic. Maybe using some form of trans. maps which can be triggered on collision might be better? One can use bitmaps which can be any shape and hopefully give a more "organic looking" explosion?
    Has anyone tried that or seen that sort of thing.or have I been smoking too much again :)

18. jiraphatK

jiraphatK

FFMPEG plugin for unity

19. dbuitgames

dbuitgames

20. Rowlan

Rowlan

I noticed there's a new demo scene for HDRP with VFX graphs of butterflies, falling leaves and dustmotes. I had to try in a different environment and have to say: More of that please! These give life to the environment.

More vfx to provide volume to the scenes could be

* fireflies and other insects
    * pollen
    * flocking birds and fish
    * crawling spiders
    * bushes rolling around
    * sand swirls
    etc

It would be great to have more of this like Unity has for the Particle Pack.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  21. Polysquid

Polysquid

Realistically, how many people buy HDRP packages? We have been struggling with idea: should we still continue making the standard pipeline packages or switch to HDRP only? I know and see, that people buy HDRP packs, but is it really the future? And are people making games with them? Sorry if the question sounds dumb, but we really need some real answers from real buyers!

P.S We are now working on CS GO type of maps and still trying to figure out, witch rout we want to go...

JoseConcha, ron-bohn and Runemark like this.
  22. vertexx

vertexx

Possibly a "real buyer"...Keep away from it as much as possible. It's a real nuisance and causes too much work to fix.Not compatible with anything else and not worth the trouble. If you have the time..which I have.. then it can be quite beautiful but at a huge expense of mucking around and then redoing all other asetts/materials/lights and not using certain updates.
    In the end it's the game that matters. The so-called increase in visuals is mostly overlooked... except by the artist!

Polysquid likes this.
  23. Rowlan

Rowlan

People should analyze what they want to do and then decide on the pipeline. I wouldn't touch HDRP for production for open world yet, however it did shape up recently quite good, performs well, but has sometimes severe bugs which even crash the Unity Editor. Then again, if a game is like 2 years away, things are different. I don't have a pro license for Unity, but guess there are certain closer channels to interact with the team.

Regarding your question: As customer I prefer to buy Standard packages and then upgrade myself to HDRP. But publishers tend to provide HDRP packages additionally. It's just a process you have to go through.

In short: It's easy to upgrade materials to SRP than the other way around.

Back to game creation: And then there's other features like VFX that you don't get to have in Standard. For lit particles you need a dedicated asset in Standard.

Regarding performance I'd personally stick with Standard. Compare above HDRP video with this, it's the Standard Pipeline version I've been toying around with yesterday, the publisher provided all 3 of the SRPs:

ivy 01.jpg
    ivy 05.jpg
    The visual cost isn't that high (for my personal taste) compared to the performance boost you get.

That's Open World. But when you go with e. g. Open Source Pinball Simulator you'd want to go HDRP, here are some very early ingame pics:

pb1.jpg
    pb2.png

The visual quality is remarkable. And Raytracing is ideal for this. I wouldn't touch Standard for that.

It's all an architectural decision.

Runemark and Polysquid like this.
  24. Polysquid

Polysquid

wow, did not expect such a good and in-depth answers! The pinball example really gets the idea cross...
    To sum up, I guess I will just make the new stuff non-hdrp and offer to convert it, if anyone wants :D
    I got the same opinion, while doing them. Things just broke for no reason and some buyers got a broken versions, that I needed to fix,but on my end all was good...

25. Rowlan

Rowlan

In case Unity does an Encore to the sale, it would be really nice to see some of these:

* gim.studio
    * AR Lek
    * Jose (Dogzerx) Díaz
    * Kamenker Mihail

And few others, don't hesitate to recommend. As a long term user I'd like to experiment with something new, however not at full price. I go full price after I could test myself how an artist's work is. That "Refund Policy" doesn't work on models.

StevenPicard likes this.
  26. vertexx

vertexx

Yes ! Got to say that Jose (Dogzerx) Diaz could teach those $399 folk some good lessons!
    Brilliantly priced and fantastically made, On Sale? YES PLEASE !!
    Thanks, Rowlan, for pointing out some good links!

StevenPicard likes this.
  27. tbrunet1909

tbrunet1909

Audio assets?

28. Rowlan

Rowlan

What exactly? For music you have lots of free music on the asset store. For sounds there's the free Soniss library or eg this post here on the forum. And for ambient sounds you have FMOD for Unity which has recently become free for indies and it's being used by professionals.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  29. duck_from_outer_space

duck_from_outer_space

What about procedural sound generation run-time libraries? I.E. Procedural soundscapes, ambiance generator for menus...
    I am now starting to build an ambiance generator for menus. It's going to be my first product. Do you think there is any market for that?
    Why aren't there more products in this category? Is it because they consume significant CPU time at run-time? Is there a high technical barrier to entry for plugin developers? (I am just starting to learn about synth programming, really i'm mostly ignorant... a linux programmer by day job). I think I can crack part of the problem of high CPU usage by a lot of brute force profiling and optimization...
    Or are the products missing because artists create final audio assets outside unity? I wonder if its a big risk to include a non-deterministic ambiance generator in the game? What if it has a bug and "blows the players eardrums"...
    What kind of customers would be interested in such a thing? Is a hardcoded one hour long track not enough? You could have seek points inside this track. You would start at different points in it, you would not event notice its looping...

Thanks...

30. Polysquid

Polysquid

Hey, again a question about render pipelines...
    We just realised a new cool package, called:
    Skyscraper Construction Yard: HERE

Some people already got it and wrote some feedback, that Standard version would be a welcome addition to the package.
    Question: What is the correct way, to add two pipeline packages into one? Adding zip? Adding .unitypackage or what? If I am not wrong, you cannot add multiple packages to one pack on asset store?

Thanks in advance! ;)

31. Rowlan

Rowlan

Lordenfel has e. g. 3 unitypackage files in their asset, a single one for every render pipeline. Another option would be to have another asset and an upgrade fee of 0 cost. Another option is to just have a unitypackage with the shader.

Runemark likes this.
  32. Polysquid

Polysquid

Yeah, we went the .unitypack way... It seems to be less hassle to do it that way
    But I like the upgrade to different version too!

33. Rowlan

Rowlan

But that involves Unity, ie is management work. However, I noticed several other publishers have the same issues and questions and everyone makes it differently. Maybe @AndrewAssetStore can share some information about what's the best / preferred solution?

34. Polysquid

Polysquid

I would love to just upload URP package and Standard package and just publish it that way...
    User can buy our assets and just check the one that he needs

35. Polysquid

Polysquid

Wanted to revisit this thread to say, that we no longer do URP or HDRP packs, due to the fact, that has already been stated here: they are unstable!

We had tons of strange artefacts, not the best visual effects and overall performance issues with the packs, so we decided to switch back to standard and man, it felt so good lol

36. nasos_333

nasos_333

The upgrade has the problem that anyone can buy the first asset, skip download and then upgrade to the rest, and request a mandatory refund from Unity, keeping the assets without pay.

I just mention in my description that i have URP and HDRP versions available for download, on PM request.

37. zalimdaner

zalimdaner

2d Fighting Game Characters like Street fighter or Mortal Kombat

38. XilenceX

XilenceX

39. Rowlan

Rowlan

It would be super awesome if Unity would provide some kind of Micro Assets that everyone can plug into their game for toying around.

Example: I recently extracted the hover racer from Unity's own Hover Racer tutorial and re-used it in a scene I didn't intend to at first. But it turned out to be fun:

After extraction and fixing some errors that naturally happen over the course of Unity versions it now is just a matter of installing the unitypackage and dragging the asset into the scene, hit play and drive around. Independent of the environment.

Same could be with some playable characters, cars, helicopters, jets, etc. Doesn't need to be something fancy. Definitely no complete projects. Just something to drag in and get more value out of other assets. Just for prototyping fun.

LilGames, dirkjacobasch and Polysquid like this.
  40. Rich_A

Rich_A

Some kind of anti-piracy asset utilizing the Steam or Epic APIs would be great. This remains a major problem on PC with 50-75% piracy rates. The client should require a non-spoofed connection to the Steam storefront and validation of ownership in order to unlock/enable functionality.

Runemark likes this.
  41. Rowlan

Rowlan

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  42. unitedone3D

unitedone3D

Hi there! Suggestion: If anyone could make HDRP to Built-In Retroconverter that would be great (HDRP is (understandably and) slowly replacing (still using) Built-In old users who do not use HDRP. We still see Assets made in Built-In, but there numbers are shrinking as new people use Unity 2020 and onward, and most of them, switch to HDRP because it is great; and don't go back to Built-In (is 'done' for many). But some older users are still using Built-In (like me) and we won't change to HDRP (if we can do just as good in Built-In...only later maybe when HDRP Raytrace has Unreal 5 Real-Time Global Illumination technology with no baking, then we might; until, then I think certain older users are 'sticking' with Built-In; or decided it was worth it to move to HDRP); but some did not. As such, for them, the Asset Store's Art Assets are starting to be more and more in HDRP format-made; and Built-In is disappearing (not yet of course...but it's like it seems there 'is a switch' happening with each new Unity version; which is that HDRP, is the future; Built-In is (at some point?) obsolete and unsupported/no more art assets made).

If someone could make a Conversion Script or something, it's probably impossible to 'convert back HDRP' to Built-In, but it's a suggestion - there are (older) Unity users who (still matter, even using old tech) would like to buy HDRP art assets...but it's painful to convert this all manually one thing at a time; if it could be automatize somehow/auto retro-conversion sort of; this way we could continue buying HDRP assets - and use older Built-In pipeline/tech. Because if it continues, than no more built-in, at some point; everything madein HDRP art assets; thus, the few left using Built In won't buy HDRP assets (unless Really worth it/the trouble to 'change' everything back to make it work with Built-In)..and, I could understand someone would say : ''Well that's fine...they are in small number..no matter anymore, they are small and disappearing...'get with the program - download HDRP/switch to HDRP''....I could do that, switch to HDRP, but I am using Built-In from before/back then (and yes accept that my choice 'condemned (my choice)' of not being able to get HDRP assets in the future; cause incompatibility with old Built-In). My choice of using old technology, stops me from being able to be 'up to date/get HDRP assets'; but I have reasons to continue old tech instead of (switching to) new one.

- Switch to HDRP (no solution)/remake everything for Built-In (manually/long), no other choice (your choice to use old).

Or

- Make Automatic ''HDRP -> Built-In'' Retroconversion script/asset (and will pay for it to obtain this, extremely useful).
    It does not have to be 'perfect', somethings may not even convert all that well, but just 60-70% retroconverted is great.

Thank you very much.

Runemark likes this.
  43. DerDicke

DerDicke

Don't know if people use HDRP. Last time I looked, it couldn't even render terrain.
    My impression is that people start using URP more and more to have more control over rendering. BTW personally I think for the majority of projects Standard is perfect. I mean, if you don't have the time and funding to make your own rendering. But would be interesting to have intel from the ground.

44. Rowlan

Rowlan

As a start you could use the Better Lit Shader, it works in all 3 pipelines and has lots of useful features:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/better-lit-shader-189232

firstuser likes this.
  45. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

Why will no one make art assets with small rocks that actually have polygons on all sides?
    Seriously, this is frustratingly stupid. I need small debris rocks for when a large rock gets blasted into tiny bits. This is something you see extremely commonly in video games, and yet nobody is selling assets for fully-modeled rocks, let alone ones that could in any way match the style and color of rocks I'm using. I can only get rocks where the bottom has no polys, or giant set-piece rocks.

WHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYY?

46. DerDicke

DerDicke

Interesting, just searched in Asset Store for rocks out of curiosity and got a ton (no pun intended):
    https://assetstore.unity.com/?q=rocks&orderBy=1

What's wrong with them?

47. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Good question. This few polys doesn't matter.

48. Meceka

Meceka

If they are scanned from nature, one reason could be that they just don't have an access to the bottom side.

49. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

As I said previously, most of them don't have polygons on the bottom. Such rocks you could only place on the ground; you can't have them tumbling through the air like pieces of broken rubble because the player will see right through the open geometry.
    Also, the overwhelming majority of them are shaped to be large set-pieces, and wouldn't look right as rubble.

By the time I get past both of these I find myself facing the issue of finding rocks that match the art style I am going for, and the options become very thin.

StevenPicard likes this.
  50. DerDicke

DerDicke

Ok. Never thought of them being not closed.