Search Unity

Official What assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Which assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

1. Art Packages - Mobile/Web

24.0%
  2. Art Packages - Desktop

35.1%
  3. Complete Projects - Mobile/Web

18.0%
  4. Complete Projects - Desktop

23.5%
  5. Scripts/Script Packages

44.6%
  6. Extensions

36.9%
  7. Shaders

28.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. docsavage

docsavage

Agree with all the others about the old store being better. The new store is much much slower and shows less info up front.

AwesomeNewbie and StevenPicard like this.
  2. docsavage

docsavage

After using unity for a few years now I've seen a fair few asset store devs provide poor or even no support for products that are not free. A common excuse being it's not their main job and they could be earning lots more elsewhere. This is no excuse for paid products. Free - yes. Paid - no. Just because someone can earn more somewhere else doesn't meean they are justified in taking peoples money and then throwing a tantrum when people expect something in return for their hard earned cash, i.e a working product. These lot what do this are really winding me up lately. They the ones giving Unity a bad name and as long as Unity let them get away with it then they are asking for any bad feedback.

As a possible solution and after some thought I'd also prefer a two to three tier system for assets.

The store should have a tier that is dedicated to assets that are proven well supported and also that the devs have commited to support. They'd have to contractually provide more committed support and product fixes/updates but in return would be part of the store people could buy from confidently. This would also be the only paid tier that would allow devs to sell assets that are DLL based, i.e without code. Doesn't mean they'd have to but would mean users not left with no way of fixing bugs if the devs disappear as unity could have copies of the scripts and are allowed to expose the code if the devs break contract.

There should be a level for devs to submit assets that are either in alpha/beta or limited support. Customers know they may not get the same level of support but they at least have access to the code as no dll paid versions allowed here. This is more a sold as seen part of the store.

A third tier for free assets and demo versions of assets the devs have no commitment to support. This would be great for people who want to support new tools/devs without being under the impression they will get something in return for their money. Includes scripts or dlls. Doesn't matter as not paid for. A great opportunity for open source stuff as well.

Just my thoughts.

3. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I agree.

I really like this idea. It's not likely to get implemented but I could see its benefits.

4. docsavage

docsavage

Thanks. Maybe if the store devs like the idea unity ma consider it. Either way something needs to be done about devs providing poor support for paid products. Understand if devs have genuine reasons but would be good for some failsafes in place.

FabDynamic and Aetherial87 like this.
  5. Lesnikus5

Lesnikus5

It looks a little better: there are tilts when running and animation of the legs when rotating in place. But everything else does not look good.

Adding these things yourself is very simple. Another thing is important: fine tuning and attention to little thing, small imperceptible movements. It is difficult for me to make a complete list (something I tried to present in the previous message), because I am not an animator. The beauty of the animation in the GameKit Controller collapses as soon as I try to do something not standard or pay attention to the little things. But watch the video Advanced Locomotion System for UE4, how realistic the movements of the character look, no matter how the author tries to abruptly stop the run or something else. This is what I would like to see in Unity.

See how the character moves his legs from place to place, rotating in place (1:06); how the animations of falling and landing mix up depending on the distance to the floor (1:27). From these little things is made good animation. But the authors of assets for Unity are missing them.

6. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

The Advanced Locomotion System for UE4 is definetly the best I've ever seen and I would pay the price instantly if that was available in the Unity asset store.

Lesnikus5 likes this.
  7. magique

magique

It's nice, but not essential in my opinion. I think the Unity Assets offer far more additional features. Why not just talk with the authors and request similar features. I chat with the authors regularly and they are all very interested in improving their assets and adding requested features.

8. Waterlane

Waterlane

OK - Here's one for you - a wind asset with a setting that can also be looped...

Resin likes this.
  9. Gladyon

Gladyon

What I would like to see on the AssetStore is a specific category for optimized assets.
    Maybe with sub-categories for:
    - GC
    - CPU
    - Memory
    - GPU

Of course, these assets would have to be reviewed by a Unity team in order to guarantee that their are indeed optimized enough to be in that category.

AwesomeNewbie likes this.
  10. Waterlane

Waterlane

'apology if this has been said - but an asset to let characters be directed (position/moved/anim' triggered/etc) around a scene... [can anybody suggest any good existing tools for this?]

11. Rowlan

Rowlan

What do you mean? Via user input or AI? If user input, fyi Unity is working on a new standard asset character controller:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/new-standard-asset-characters-third-person.526612/

If AI, just check the navmesh tutorials from Unity.

12. Waterlane

Waterlane

Cheers - thanks for the thread. I've actually commented on that back in May last year...
    Rather than a 3rd Person camera controller or AI driven, I'm mean more setting up character sequences for things like cut scenes. A good tool for being able to plan out their motions and animations in scene, with the ability to add on triggers of some sort.

13. DerDicke

DerDicke

A level design tool. I know there are lots, but all video demonstrations show ugly 1x1 Meter prefabs (like MultiStory Dungeons from 2010 or so) somehow stick together. Good enough for sloppy mobile games, but not for anything made with love.

I mean, first thing you are interested in is if your Dungeon art package that you bought for 70 bucks on Asset Store works with the tool or not.
    So I would like to see videos on how to integrate several art assets with the tool. I fear in the end you will end up creating your own prefabs (stair, room, tunnel) by yourself and just use vanilla Unity snap settings to combine them to a level.

Anything easing the task of combining all stuff needed for making characters is also welcome. If it works around the many limitations you encounter when doing real game developing in Unity (Animation re-targeting, ragdoll, back from ragdoll, navmesh, collision, [you name it]) it's even better. Not even mentioning AI.

14. RASKALOF

RASKALOF

Can UNITY already made Mobile app for publishers pleeeeeease? Its 10 years of unity, i hope...and there is no comfortable way to track customers comments and reviews and feedback etc. Why so bad, dear unity? Is it so hard to create app for publisher to always hold hand on pulse of your assets?

Runemark and dirkjacobasch like this.
  15. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

I had the same thought. :)

It should be easy to made a mobile app for publisher.
    - Display packages
    - Display sales
    - Display revenue
    - Display Vouchers
    - Display publisher info

Done

Runemark likes this.
  16. RASKALOF

RASKALOF

And also there should be alert system if someone commented your asset, and if someone write pm in unity connect, this is usefull things as i think

FabDynamic and dirkjacobasch like this.
  17. Adam_Starcaster

Adam_Starcaster

SPECIFIC SECTIONS FOR LWRP AND HDRP

18. Inter-Illusion

Inter-Illusion

@dirkjacobasch

A while ago I wanted the same, so I created an app to show all my sales, reviews and also to search the store and see more data about the assets.
    After Unity moved to the new store, the part in the app that searches the store and allows you to see the assets, is no longer functional (I have to fix that, but haven't had time).

However, If you are using Android, the widget that shows in your home screen all your sales, reviews, etc, its working just fine and according to google play stats, there are around 50+ publishers that have been using it.

The widget, also shows a notification whenever you get a new sale, a new rating or someone writes a new review.

Here is the link to the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.InterIllusion.AssetStoreExplorer
    and here is forum post about it: https://forum.unity.com/threads/pub...e-explorer-and-deals-web.471650/#post-3079231

Again, it is pretty old and only the widget part works correctly, but it has been so helpful to me (I just look at my home screen and all my sales are there)

Hope it helps,
    Frank

19. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

20. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

A fast button to Unity Essentials content in the main web page and asset store as there was in the old version.
    I make a feedback thread.

21. Murgilod

Murgilod

For the love of god, please, let us download and install previous versions of assets.

Grizmu, softrare, TeagansDad and 8 others like this.
  22. Rowlan

Rowlan

I was asked by the Unity Support to post on the forum about a missing UAS feature, so here it goes:

I have several assets which are now sold as a single combined asset. In short: Instead of downloading and install every single one of them separately you'd only have to download and install the combined one. I asked the support to get access to the combined one, since I have all parts of that combined one.

The answer:

In general that missing feature would be really nice on the UAS. Also in relation to if I'd have only e. g. parts of the combined asset, I'd get the collection with the proper upgrade price instead of having to purchase the combined asset new.

TeagansDad, Aetherial87 and Waterlane like this.
  23. LilGames

LilGames

I WANT TO "FOLLOW" ASSET PUBLISHERS!

Yes, all-caps. ;D
    I've submitted this idea to Unity before. I don't understand why there is not simple option to "follow" or "heart" a publisher and receive notifications when they add a new asset. This would help good publishers get more sales. We can't be expected to remember all store publishers we like and be constantly checking their pages.

24. Rowlan

Rowlan

The old asset store had the feature to show if an asset was gifted by the publisher, e. g.:

gift.png
    Can this please be introduced in v2 as well so that readers can have a correct view about 5 star reviews?

Thank you!

Pvt_Hudson, GRASBOCK and LilGames like this.
  25. MadAngler66

MadAngler66

I would like assets to have their license be obvious at first look. By that I mean whether asset is for commercial use or not. Free is what? I would assume free for commercial use, but some unity demo assets muddle this. So add third category - Non Commercial. Non Commercial, Free and price tag would be clear.

LilGames likes this.
  26. chingwa

chingwa

@MadAngler66 All assets are for commercial use unless expressly saying otherwise (such as the Unity assets you mentioned). Paid / Free doesn't matter. But yes I agree, if there is some special license it needs to be made explicitly clear.

27. MadAngler66

MadAngler66

I just dont like custom licenses hiding in the description while asset is flagged free. License field on every asset would work nice.

LilGames and chingwa like this.
  28. LaneFox

LaneFox

Everything falls under the Asset Store EULA. There are a minuscule number of assets using custom licenses because they are Asset Store Partner Assets and not standards Publisher Assets, so this is almost entirely a non-issue.

The only type of custom license that is allowed inside normal Assets is MIT, which gives you full rights to content.

29. dbchest

dbchest

according to the poll, scripts/script packages are the most in-demand asset type and is closely followed by artwork for desktop. Could some of you guys elaborate on your individual demands; I would really like to gain a better understanding of what is needed by the community currently.

30. LilGames

LilGames

I agree with LaneFox. Look at this example and read the full description: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/unity-chan-model-18705

And while these examples may be "miniscule", clarity through redundancy is better than confusion through obscurity.

FabDynamic likes this.
  31. Dotti_H

Dotti_H

Maybe I'm a bit late, but maybe this helps too: I recently created a whole showcase video for my sports themed model pack with Unity 2018.3 Cinemachine and Timeline. Both of them are available from the Package manager (Preview). Timeline lets you orchestrate everything in the scene including animations, lights, particles, audio, and you can even drag Unity Recorder track into it so it will capture a video when you enter Play mode. Combine this with Cinemachine's virtual camera system, dolly tracks, and other cam effects. I think is enough to create cutscenes with. Here is the link to the Timeline tutorial section: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/TimelineSection.html

Waterlane likes this.
  32. Waterlane

Waterlane

@Dotti_H - thanks very much - I wasn't aware the recorder could be added to the Timeline as well - that's very interesting...

33. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

I am highly interested in long race or landscape tracks. 20 Km - 50 Km?
    Should be possible with the new Terrain Tile system, or with tiled FBX?

Remember the NFS HotPursuit 2 tracks? They was great, or what?

I like to pay up to 100$ for 1 of those maps. If not Asset Store drop me a message :)

There are nice tracks in the Store, but they are to short for these days in my opinion.

34. Rickmc3280

Rickmc3280

I would like to see some scripts for drawing lines/polylines (i've already bought some stuff for splines) but I would like some assets/scripts for drawing lines, rendering them, writing them to files that can then be imported or exported (on that note, importing drawings from cad software). I suppose the dxf format stuff could/would work too, but maybe a well thought out consolidated 3D Line work module (All Runtime btw).

Would like a formal request area within unity to pay "certified" unity coders to develop simple scripts also.

35. TonyLi

TonyLi

You can post job offers on https://connect.unity.com/

36. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

37. Rickmc3280

Rickmc3280

First time that I've heard of this, while I am not fond of their UI and levels of access... interesting to say the least.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  38. Rasly233

Rasly233

I would realy like to have a gore filter, because it feels like i am buing nightmares on this shop for free.

39. ScottHerz

ScottHerz

To be able to install assets where I want them in my project up front.

Also, how about fixing the HTML 5 video bug when using the store in Unity. It's been broken for at least a year! Can you imagine if Apple's App Store just stopped showing media like that?

40. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

I'd like to be able to block some artists. Many artists have dozens if not hundreds of models for sale, and I'd like to be able to block the ones whose style or polycount is not what I am looking for.

Also, ability to hide products, so if I don't ever want to see it again, I can just hide it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  41. AwesomeNewbie

AwesomeNewbie

Yes, that would be awesome!

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

I would like to see an option to download assets in a external HDD, keeping in root HDD is impossible

43. TonyLi

TonyLi

nasos_333 likes this.
  44. nasos_333

nasos_333

45. haomin1

haomin1

Unity Technologies

Thank you for your report, this is a feature missing on the new store and we will add that.

Rowlan likes this.
  46. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

Also in old store could see which packages a package can be upgraded from, this is also very useful

47. haomin1

haomin1

Unity Technologies

Do you mean upgrade discount?

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

The notes that said from which packages can upgrade from and for how much, under the subimitted with xxx versions note

49. haomin1

haomin1

Unity Technologies

This is fixed on the new store today.

Rowlan likes this.
  50. haomin1

haomin1

Unity Technologies

Can you give me an example?

nasos_333 likes this.