Search Unity

Official What assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Which assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

1. Art Packages - Mobile/Web

24.0%
  2. Art Packages - Desktop

35.1%
  3. Complete Projects - Mobile/Web

18.0%
  4. Complete Projects - Desktop

23.5%
  5. Scripts/Script Packages

44.6%
  6. Extensions

36.9%
  7. Shaders

28.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

i hope back button can bring me to my searching list instead of directly to the main page

2. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

You speak the truth! Loading the asset list takes so long sometimes I can go get myself a coffee, come back and it *may* finally be ready. Start your game up and stop it, then go back to the asset list and have it reload all over again. As a developer I'm baffled how they managed to get it so slow. I have no idea how they managed that.

Also, in Unity, when looking at my asset list through the new store the deprecated assets don't show up (ones I actually payed for and own) so I always have to go back to the old one (which also appears to have more sorting options, as well.)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    IsDon and JBR-games like this.
  3. Kaspars_FGL

Kaspars_FGL

I would like to see an option, to remove plus/pro automatic discount on my assets. Does anyone know, how I can do that?

I have over 80 packs on asset store (in different account) and in one day, all of them had plus/pro sign and -20% price for the users. What's the point of that? I have seen a big decline in my monthly income, since that (also since new page was introduced).

As a seller, I get NOTHING in return. Unity gets the same 30%, additional to that, the pro/plus subscription money. I would have no issues with that, if the pro/plus discount would be taken from the 30%unity cut. So they I get the same 70%. But NO!

At this point, on every 10$, I get around 5$ and from the 5$, I need to pay tax (I am from Europe). So I am left with 3$! Artists are getting ripped off buy unity. Look at unreal engine, not only they take only 12% now, they also gave artists money back, for the overpay of %.

ALSO, support is horrible. I remember, that back in the day, it took like 2-3 days to get You pack up and running on store. Now, It could take a month, to get it through. Get more workers on support, for god sake.

VirtusH likes this.
  4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Contact the Asset Store. It's an opt-in program. You signed up to opt in. You can opt out.

5. Kaspars_FGL

Kaspars_FGL

Will do, thanks!

I advice everyone, to do that, so they understand, that it's not cool to rip off artists.

6. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Adobe XD integration or convert to UI is missing?

7. magique

magique

What I would like to see is character models that provide blend shapes so that they can be used with something like SALSA for talking characters that can move their eyes and blink. In addition, I would like to see character models that also have hair that has some ability to animate so it might look like it's reacting to movement or the wind. These are both features we see in published games even going back to PS2, GameCube, etc. Maybe further back then that even.

Now, I know that systems like DAZ, iClone, MCS, and UMA allow this, but they are often limited by the number of outfits you own. I have lots of characters from the store and absolutely none of them provide this sort of feature except for those specifically designed for UMA, MCS, etc. I would love to have more options from character designers that publish their assets that are not for those systems.

8. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Besides the fact that the asset store is down today (godspeed, folks), I want the ability to be able to export my asset order list to a CSV/Excel file. This is actually a trivial thing to code up, as I've done it on countless sites I've built over the years. I'd like to see the following columns for reporting purposes:

• Title of asset(s) in purchase
    • Original list price
    • Purchase price (minus any discountes, etc)
    • Purchase date
    • Link(s) to the asset or order for that purchase.

This would be extremely helpful for tax purposes. Having to download each invoice individually is a real pain. Heck, I'll even provide you with the source code to do it. It's literally just a matter of altering the response header and rendering an HTML table to the response output.

Edit: added one more column

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  9. JBR-games

JBR-games

That would be nice... But i doubt that thwy will do anything helpful like that.. They cant even seem to make the new store have basic functionality.. Like zoom on mobile.

10. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Having a working asset store!

11. tawdry

tawdry

The new store is awful I auto switch to old store when i open it up.Took me a while to find the toggle at first.

12. thestringer

thestringer

yes old store for me too, just better at finding what I want not told what to buy like the new store.

13. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

i bought quite a lot of plugins, i hope there is someway to easier search my plugins and import them to my new project.

NeatWolf and Supergeek like this.
  14. Supergeek

Supergeek

Agreed there; I have purchased literally dozens of assets. I'd like a way to organize them that isn't dog-slow. The Asset Store is as slow as molasses, and I'm on gigabit fiber.

StevenPicard likes this.
  15. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Ditto.

I can't spam my business consultant with hundreds of purchases, that could easily triple her work... and her salary XD

I would also love to see

• Subscribe to Publisher button
    • Block/hide toxic users/publishers
    • Hide assets I already own (at least, put a mark on them! I know it's heavy on your servers, but still...)
    • History of pricing (some publishers are shamelessly abusing price drops - there's a "cooldown" time in the terms of use)
    • Average response time
    • Split asset ratings from publisher ratings
    • Hover buttons on assets, to provide immediate feedback, Google/Steam style e.g.:"I'm not interested/Too costly/only on sale/must have/review again this asset"
    • 1 account per person, no fake accounts with fake reviews, either good or bad. Real names in clear, also in the thumbs ups/thumbs down reactions to a review.
    • Account verification for users
    • Weighted rating according to the user rating (Google Maps style)
    • Badges for reviewers (this could backfire, but still...)
    • A store that also works with people owning thousands of assets (it simply breaks or is still unusable)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    blackant, Aetherial87, Rowlan and 2 others like this.
  16. sunrisebacon

sunrisebacon

Please add a field to asset packs that the author must fill out to specify if the pack is compatible with the new SRP or not. Then add a way to filter by that in the store.

At the moment basically nothing with shaders in the store is compatible to SRP and once SRP comes out of preview it will be super hard to figure out which assets are compatible and which not.

Aetherial87 and ScourgeGames like this.
  17. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

And add a field for compatible platforms ( tested on )

ScourgeGames and StevenPicard like this.
  18. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Yes. On my main personal account, I have almost 600 assets purchased and it's getting unruly and hard to manage.

If given the opportunity, I'd sit in a focus group to give them my free time to provide good feedback that they can use to create a much better experience. This is "low hanging fruit" stuff that could be simple to roll out with incremental enhancements.

IsDon, NeatWolf and StevenPicard like this.
  19. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I have over 1,000 so I can understand your pain.The real issue is, it should not be difficult to return even 1,000 records from a database. There's gotta be something being done wrong\not being done to cause so much slowness. In fact, I can't use Unity until it's done loading (which takes quite a long time) because it locks it up. Even if I have only a few results it's still slow and typing in and performing searches is very difficult due to whatever processing it thinks it needs to do. I just don't know how that code got approved and why it hasn't been fixed by now.

NeatWolf, Rowlan and ScourgeGames like this.
  20. sstrong

sstrong

Some of the challenge is how asset publishers need to bundle SRP assets. The current method is to add an SRP folder and include LWRP and HDRP assets which users unpack. Although this isn't great, it (mostly) works. However, uploading different packages which are then tested (by Unity) in HDRP and LWRP isn't so straight forward. We can tick the LWRP and/or HDRP boxes but then we'd need to provide separate builds. Fine if you want to do big bang releases but not so great if you want to provide more regular updates for customers.

Also, with each preview of SRP, something else breaks. My guess is the API is still in a constant state of flux. Package Manager may help for future releases but only if publishers abandon all previous Unity versions. It is pretty difficult to keep everyone happy, but I'm sure most publishers try.

Several publishers are now adding comments to their asset store pages about support for LWRP and HDRP.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  21. CooperativeYogi

CooperativeYogi

Types of assets? I just wish the asset store was reliably faster. It's painfully slow. So much so that it's one of the few modern websites I regularly have to close out tabs because they can't/won't return their content. Maybe at times it works, but I'm not talking about those time. Perhaps the video stuff needs to be hosted elsewhere, or someone really needs to troubleshoot the why the load is bogging down. Or maybe the assets need a 3rd party marketplace website for vendors' stuff, if unity.com finds it outside their core mission. Or maybe they need mirrors for the actual asset downloads, as opposed to update requests from the unity programs and marketplace browsing. All I can say is, it's a truly frustrating experience. (Link is to google search of the issue... results going back years...) Otherwise, the content is great. The range of content is great. And the program is great.

NeatWolf and sunrisebacon like this.
  22. Waterlane

Waterlane

A way to group purchase assets to make them easier to find - maybe the option to add tags to them?
    Also to have their file size shown, to give an idea how long the download might take.
    (I'm thinking of when they are display under 'my assets'.

23. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

This is supposed to be a "What new assets would you (as asset consumers) want to see?" The point is to help asset developers know what customers want. Somehow it's morphed into complaints about the asset store itself (of which I have a few myself — #1 being no gifting).

So, in the spirit of the original intent, here's what I would love to see: a Unity plugin that wraps the PocketSphinx speech recognition library. This would let us make NPCs you can actually talk to, with your voice, without having to pay utterance for a cloud-based service like Watson. I'd easily pay $50 for that, if the recognition quality is decent.

StevenPicard likes this.
  24. Jeremy-Borton

Jeremy-Borton

I'd really like to see high quality 3d models that are fully rigged. I hate purchasing a model with animations and then having to contact the developer to tweak or create more animations because the rig's not included. I've found other 3d market places that have fully rigged models of outstanding quality, and so I'll be purchasing them instead... Include the rig, and let us make the animations instead so that we feel the animations are unique to our game and style!

sunrisebacon likes this.
  25. zerotech15

zerotech15

Guys check out the statistics, it might help you understand your audience better.

Products in categories Systems, Utilities, Integration and GUI turn out to be the most popular on Unity AssetStore.

26. Waterlane

Waterlane

How about some way to keep depreciated assets alive. i.e. If an asset developer stops updating an asset, it could be very frustrating for a anyone using it in their project, preventing them from moving up to new Unity releases.

Perhaps there could be a way for Unity to 'keep these assets alive' (ensure compatibility with new Unity versions). Perhaps this could be an added benefit for Unity Subscribers.
    'just a thought.

27. zerotech15

zerotech15

Do you have any idea how much effort and money it would take for Unity? :D
    Although maybe devs should sign something in case their asset is deprecated and they take no action, the asset becomes open source.

Willbkool_FPCS and Aetherial87 like this.
  28. Waterlane

Waterlane

Where there's a will.... For example - maybe it's only the top 10 purchased + depreciated assets. If part of the Pro subscription, Unity would get paid twice (once when the assets were bought and again through subscription). It's not something I'm really wanting - but it would be cool to have some way to keep assets alive for future Unity releases. That would also be good to Unity, allowing developers to stay with updates.
    - 'but yeh' - time and money.

29. pako

pako

I think it's a matter of policy, so the issue can be solved or minimized by updating the policy regarding the asset store developers' responsibilities, as well as the consequences for non-compliance with these responsibilities..

I believe that it's not correct for anyone, Unity or anyone else, to force a developer to support a product the he/she has decided to deprecate it. Deprecating a product typically means it has reached the end of its lifecycle, no further support, end of story.

HOWEVER, having said that, I must also emphasize that Unity's rules for the Asset Store developers are so weak that product "lifecycle" and the consequent deprecation lose its meaning, and hence the problem. Typically, Asset Store deprecation is in reality just a simple developer's decision after seeing that the particular asset is not profitable at all or any more, rather than a well thought out, and planned software development decision.

I would expect to see an announcement on the product page that "this product will be deprecated in, say, 12-18 months, or up until Unity version x.y.z". This is the least that Unity could do to minimize the problem. Over the years, I have been the victim of many such "sudden" deprecations, i.e. purchased an asset and saw it being deprecated after 1-2 months!

Taking this a bit further, I believe that Unity should also consider Asset Store quality, not just quantity (categories, features, etc). I mean, I've seen articles referring to low quality games made with "Unity Asset Store flops"! To address "quality" Unity should address the issues of the support provided, since it's now becoming more common to see unresponsive asset developers, the actual quality of the asset (maybe create a steam-like feature like Greenlight or curators), and last but not least "controlled deprecation".

Anyway, this is my opinion. Many members will have different opinion to this, especially those who do publish low quality assets, and of course they are entitled to their opinions, as much as I am entitled to mine.

Waterlane likes this.
  30. zerotech15

zerotech15

You don't take into account that the publisher's efforts are completely free for Unity. Unity's own employees dedicated to supporting some assets might cost Unity $5k/mo because these dudes are high-skilled and very well experienced. How many deprecated assets supposedly generating above $10k/mo have you seen on AssetStore? I've seen none. Everything that is insanely profitable is getting regular updates from their publishers regardless.

31. zerotech15

zerotech15

Just for making our picture clear:
    - 60,670 products ever published on AssetStore.
    - 49,474 products currently published.
    - 8,254 products deprecated.
    - 2,942 products disabled.

32. pako

pako

Interesting info! I don't really know what the "Disabled" ones are, but never mind...

@nmindiedev we've seen your opinion but it would be also helpful, in order to form a more full picture, if you let us know about how many assets you've purchased from the Asset Store, and how many of these have been deprecated, and how that deprecation affected you. Also, have you published any assets yourself, and if so, have you deprecated any of them?

33. zerotech15

zerotech15

My assets:
    Collect Me 8 - Gems, Shaders, Easy Game Collectibles
    EYE Blink Effect (FPS / VR) - Human eye blink shader.
    None of them are deprecated so far.

I currently have 104 assets, 30% of them or so are free ones. I mostly buy 3d models so deprecation is not really affecting me much :D

34. zerotech15

zerotech15

I think disabled are mostly those that were unpublished by the developer. Here is some data on them:
    94% of disabled assets received less than 5 reviews.
    79% of disabled assets have no rating at all.
    Their publishing date is ranging from the very 2010 up until 2018.

An example of a disabled product.

35. pako

pako

OK, I see. For the records I have 171 assets, mostly purchased, and 35 of these have been deprecated (with no warning)...

The issue here is that when I purchase an asset I do it because it will save me some, or in many cases a lot, of work/time by not having to implement and maintain the particular asset myself. Needless to say, I expect a certain level of professionalism from the asset developers, and unfortunately, I have noticed that in many cases there is no professionalism at all, which to my mind translates to unreliability. I have seen even 5 star assets with good reviews to have non-existent support, and/or get deprecated with no warning.

You are both an asset consumer and producer, but have been lucky enough to not have been victimized by a suddenly deprecated asset. Imagine what it would feel like, if you needed to use in a new project an asset you owned, and found out that it's been deprecated... well if it's all C# you could attempt to maintain it yourself, but if it includes some dll's then "tough luck", and I got at least 5-6 of these, which also happen to be some of the most expensive ones.

So, you are saying that it would be very expensive for Unity to maintain the deprecated assets, and also backup that claim with the various stats you present. I'm not saying you are wrong there! I'm saying that Unity is not responsible for maintaining the deprecated assets! But Unity is responsible for keeping the quality of the Asset Store to a satisfactory level. As I said in my post above, part of the quality of the Asset Store is giving warning well in advance of the assets that will be deprecated, in order that informed purchasing as well as development decisions are made, i.e. many developers would not buy assets that are to be deprecated, or will not be supported after a certain Unity version.

I will make an exaggerated example in support of my point: Imagine what would happen if Microsoft suddenly deprecated Word, or Excel, or any of its products, without any warning given well in advance! i.e. imagine purchasing one of their products, only to find that 2-3 months later it's been deprecated... Wouldn't you have rather spent your money on a different but similar product? So, why should the Asset Store products be different from that? Do they represent products of insignificant value/quality? Well, some of the Asset Store products that I've purchased and which have been suddenly deprecated have costed me more than the Microsoft products that I've purchased...

The bottom line is: "Does Unity care about the quality of the products in the Asset Store?" I'm sorry to say that I haven't seen any significant steps in that direction...

36. Waterlane

Waterlane

'just to be clear on my view. I'm not wanting any additional pressure to be put on dev's and can relate to the work that goes into creating any asset. I'm just giving a simple idea to the original question. I also agree it's a small case - with most assets I've purchase being kept alive and having new features added. :)

37. zerotech15

zerotech15

The prices for that kind of assets should definitely be above $100 then.

38. Rowlan

Rowlan

I'd like to see a flag on assets I already own. Globally, not just when I click on the details.

And regarding advertising it would be really nice to see when a sale starts and when it ends. I've read from several people now thinking that the recent best-of sale was still going on this week instead of ending by year's end simply because there are several other sales which are still going on this week.

Aetherial87 likes this.
  39. devPatrick

devPatrick

I'm also in the market for such an asset. With the likes of Google charging $0.018 - $0.024 per minute for speech recognition, I imagine such an would be relatively easy money for someone with the time, patience, and know how to make it. On face value, the work load doesn't appear to be too bad either. CMU Sphinx does all of the heavy lifting with PocketSphinx (C++ libraries for speech recognition) and also provides SWIG (a compiler that generates the wrapper/glue code that would allow us to interface with it using C# or java).

JoeStrout likes this.
  40. DerDicke

DerDicke

I would like some quality control on art assets. Currently there is none. In detail:

1.) Scale for 3D assets. 95% of meshes are off scale. Usually it is the "I don't care, because I sell in all stores" 0.01 scale issue. Can be handled by myself, but takes time and unnecessary work. But sometimes the scale is off by 5 or so. This really takes time, because you don't know the error beforehand. So you have to figure it out. Why is that? Almost all assets are used in a human sized world. So you know their size exactly. Why is it allowed to sell these assets?

2.) Snap settings for level geometry. Every Environment Asset sold on Asset Store should have information on how the snap settings should be to work with the package, e.g. 1 Meter. This should be mandatory. If the asset doesn't support snap settings, it should be clearly stated and information must be provided on how to make levels using the asset or even better, asset should not be allowed on Asset Store.

3.) Humanoid skeleton. There is no humanoid skeleton. It is humanoid after I converted it by myself. But then the trouble begins. Animations from Animation packages might work or not. The animation error might be tolerable or not. All in all, the chance to use a character exactly as intended is 5%. There is a 50% chance to get around the animation issues by changing game design (meaning: hoping this specific character will never use a specific animation or hiding odd foot animation by putting barrels in front). So if I have roughly 45% chance for every character not to work at all in reasonable quality, what can you do? Mixamo? They are able to deliver. But are limited.
    Unity has a humanoid skeleton. Just use this standard and do only allow non-humanoid rigs for good reasons. Make sure animation packages work on your humanoid standard. Just like UE4. It's possible.
    Animation is the biggest construction site in Unity. Bringing all of it together is a pita. Instead of focusing on new fancy marketing features, just force your standards and make it usable in real games.

4.) Overall QA. For example, I recently imported an art package. Every mesh had only one transparent material, so depending on view angle, rendering errors occurred. How can this be sold on Asset Store? For money?

41. kuzai

kuzai

What I would like in the asset store is an In Game Poser Mode like such.

I want to make character creator games and that's the easy part, the hard part is how to put in an in game poser mode for users to pose and make scenes of the characters they create, I'm willing to buy it too even if it's $100 or more.

fyi it doesn't have to be this fancy just decent.

42. Lesnikus5

Lesnikus5

I would like to see a normal character controller quality. Everything that is in Asset Store looks ugly. Terribly not natural blending of animations, lack of stop transitions between run and idle states, aanimation of legs when a character rotates around its axis or is missing, or legs do not naturally slide along the floor, the character goes in the walls, etc. In general, I would like to see something like Advanced Locomotion System, which is available for UE4: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/advanced-locomotion-system-v1

43. DerDicke

DerDicke

Wow! That is just great.
    Obviously an issue for many people, video has over a 100k views. I would kill for that.

44. magique

magique

Which controllers have you tried in asset store? The one you posted is good, but I think there are a couple of really nice ones in the asset store that do most of what you showed and more in other areas. Such as Opsive's and Motion Controller.

Aetherial87 likes this.
  45. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Definitely a great looking system.

46. Lesnikus5

Lesnikus5

I will not say that I tried everything. But most of the assets that have demos, I tried.

Since you mentioned Motion Controller, specially now launched its demo- http://www.ootii.com/Unity/MotionController/WebGL/index.html.
    In the videos, it really looks good, but if you play, then at the initial scene of "Terrain", you immediately feel a very large inertia of control: the character must complete the end of each animation, impossible to take small steps. The character takes a big stride, even if we want to move a centimeter.

Imagine that such a character you need to walk on the edge of a cliff or on islands floating in lava. Frequent death of the character due to non-responsive control, and not the player’s fault, it will be scary to anger.

In other scenes, there is no animation of transitions between movement and stop, and the controls are more responsive, because you do not need to wait until the animation of the transition between walking and standing ends. But try to quickly stop after the sprint, it does not look natural.

There are many other disadvantages:
    -If you lean against the wall and continue to go forward, the character will continue to play the walking animation, standing still.
    -There are no body leaning while running and turning at the same time.
    -During the rotation, standing still, the character does not even move his legs (in all scenes except the first, in which player can not rotate in place). Even if the animation were, I am sure it would look like jerking the doll’s legs suspended from a rope, that is, the movements of the legs and the speed of rotation of the body would not coincide.

This is only a small part of the shortcomings. Any asset has a similar list of drawbacks, even the most famous ones: Opsive, Invector and others. If there is a controller of a sufficiently high level of quality, point me to it. But I did not find.

Yes. I wrote to the author the question of whether he plans to port his system to Unity, but there was no answer. Probably not planning.

47. magique

magique

48. SoundToolKit

SoundToolKit

We're actually considering creation of such plugin based on our own speech recognition system and not PocketSphinx. The main advantage would be that it would be local and not cloud-based (speech recognition module integrated and shipped with plugin) albeit the target pricing would be more between 200-500$

49. christougher

christougher

On mobile browser I can't seem to find a way to check asset store notifications, even if I click desktop site. Actual desktop browser has the bell notification button just fine. I have to revert to old store just to check the notifications...

50. DerDicke

DerDicke

I would like to see the new Asset Store not having issues with Privacy Badger.
    Currently no images are loaded when privacy badger is enabled. Privacy Badger works perfectly in the old store. Tested in Firefox.