Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official What assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Which assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

1. Art Packages - Mobile/Web

24.0%
  2. Art Packages - Desktop

35.2%
  3. Complete Projects - Mobile/Web

18.0%
  4. Complete Projects - Desktop

23.5%
  5. Scripts/Script Packages

44.6%
  6. Extensions

36.9%
  7. Shaders

28.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Realistic; ideally something on par with Gaia terrain visual, but planet side.

2. sstrong

sstrong

You can import real moon terrain data with Landscape Builder - although you'll need to make up your own terrain textures - sorry, we don't have any nice close up photographs - but NASA does!

LandscapeBuilder_Moon1.png

Not sure if they have any Martian terrain data.

3. orb

orb

I think people are after both, but if you're preparing to make packs just continue with the style you've started. Some other artist could commit to more toonish things :)

4. Hideout-Studio

Hideout-Studio

Hi Caitlyn,
    Thanks for creating the poll, first of all! I think it's a great way to know what's the demand out there.

Here at Hideout we are developing character models, props and animations; and I guess that's included in the art packages; but if it's not too much of a bother would it be possible to be a little more detailed? So we can specifically know what the developers need?

Cheers!
    Hideout Team

5. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Well, when I say realistic, I do not mean "1:1 as in reality" :) I mean something that look like the moon, not accurate as the moon.

I need something that I can generate at runtime with little effort; usually perln noise and some quick algorithm does the job, but it is a lot of work when you want to change something. Which is why I am more than happy to pay for something that I don't want to work on, to focus on what I want to work on :)

6. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

On my list, there is a whole list of anime style items and characters, that would be very welcome for various projects.

the store has plenty of cartoonish character, but the only few anime ones are unity-chan and few others. These are hard to come; although it seems that something may change in the near future

Hideout-Studio likes this.
  7. sstrong

sstrong

Yeah, the actual moon isn't very exciting...

Sure, we can do that with Topography Perlin Layers in Landscape Builder. What sort of look would you like?

8. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

In the end, the moon is a big rock; with craters and such :) it can be made interesting by gameplay.

I am going for a simple look; good variation for the terrain, textures that are decently detailed for close up; nothing too fancy. I am using Space toolkit to generate the planet and working my way toward the subdivision of the terrain; is your application able to integrate with an existing toolkit? I already have my own assets to implement in the terrain topology, which is why I was asking for a one stop solution; to create a planet with tessellation and procedurally spawn them in the existing framework via code.

9. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

I'd be interested in more assets that are designed to work together without other dependencies.

If I download a camera effect script I don't want to change my shader as well.

10. Hideout-Studio

Hideout-Studio

Cool to hear that, darshie1976! Right now we are working on more realistic assets but we would love to try the Anime style in the future! But since you mention it, we are working on some animations which are a bit more stylized (anime inspired); so be sure to follow our uploads and maybe you will like them!

Here's a WIP of our character's Run Cycle so you can see for yourself:

Thank you so much!

Nyarlathothep and Malbers like this.
  11. Kondor0

Kondor0

Is this the place to post ideas about the store itself?

I was thinking it could be nice to have the option to follow specific publishers so you can get a notification every time they post new content.

Maziu, Teila, infinitypbr and 5 others like this.
  12. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

13. Kondor0

Kondor0

Malbers and theANMATOR2b like this.
  14. Kondor0

Kondor0

This Madness sale feels like a deja vu, it would be nice to have a sale with something new.

Malbers likes this.
  15. Malbers

Malbers

Kondor0 likes this.
  16. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

I m still missing a feeding frenzy clone :)

17. A_I_Scholar

A_I_Scholar

I would like better search tools for art. Its pretty annoying to type in fantasy character and get characters of all different art styles. It would be great to see art styles packaged separately. If I make a game with a minecraft art feel, it would be great to have a list of other items and objects that would fit into my environments art style without looking out of place.

Teila likes this.
  18. Mixall

Mixall

19. Everbrave

Everbrave

Hey guys, I have a question that has probably been answered before but I can't seem to find anything on it. I'm a 3D artist and I'm just about to graduate with a game art degree. I'm really interested in releasing art packages on the asset store and I'm primarily a character artist. My problem is that I'm just a modeler/sculptor/texture artist and I'm really lacking in rigging and animation skills.

Would people be interested in characters that don't come with animations? Is this even a thing? I'm also pretty new to Unity and I'm definitely not much of a programmer, so is there a way for users to use a non-rigged model to create animations within Unity? Or even use something like Mixamo to rig and animate the characters for prototyping or something?

I'd love to release characters instead of props (obviously with a reflected price point), but thus is my dilemma. Maybe I should find a set-up/animation artist to team up with?

20. TonyLi

TonyLi

You should rig the model, but as long as it's humanoid customers can retarget their own animations to it. I don't think you have to include animation with your characters. You might be able to use an auto-rigger like Mixamo's.

21. Everbrave

Everbrave

Wow, thank you for the quick reply. I know that Mixamo doesn't allow you to redistribute the characters you rig through their site, but I use Maya and their Human IK rig setup is really easy. I can easily get that far. It's really animation that kills me. It's a relief that it's at least possible to put my characters up without animations.

Really I guess I'm wondering now if anyone would buy a character that wasn't animated? Would I be wasting my time?

22. TonyLi

TonyLi

I prefer to apply separate, high quality animations (such as Kubold's animsets) to rigged humanoid models. A lot of the higher quality models don't come with animation, such as this biker and Morph3D's models. But other customers might feel differently, so take this as just one person's opinion.

23. Malbers

Malbers

If you want sales, they need to be rigged, but if you want more sales include 10 animations, or make a video using your character and mixamo's animations, and give the link to the animations site for download,
    but if you want even moooore sales include a character controller script (make a web demo and post it) :) plus included in the video, that way costumers will see how your character behaves. (also you can use the standard assets animations and 3rd person character controller to demostrate how your model works with it)

Hope that helps

theANMATOR2b and TonyLi like this.
  24. Billy4184

Billy4184

I would suggest testing out all your characters in Unity with a character controller of some kind, that way you can be familiar with how your product will be used. From what I know, it goes a long way with Unity customers to be able to help them out with a problem in the implementation of your product, even if it isn't strictly an issue with the product itself.

theANMATOR2b and TonyLi like this.
  25. TonyLi

TonyLi

This is really good advice for any asset. Make sure your product is easy for customers to use. For rigged models, I don't think it would cost anything but time, since you can run your character through Unity's free Locomotion Starter Kit.

26. Billy4184

Billy4184

So when are UT to make a monthly version of this thread/poll, so we can be sure we're not accidentally looking at some quaint pre-mobile-explosion snapshot of history?

27. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

As a buyer before I was a publisher, I would not have purchased anything that wasn't animated. I had access to Mixamos animations, but in the end more is better. Of course I ended up getting the mixamo ones because the ones that came with the characters I bought were so terrible....so I guess it goes both ways! :D

I'd hook up with an animator and make something work out.

28. TonyLi

TonyLi

Good suggestion! @Everbrave - Check if @theANMATOR2b is available.

29. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Without Rigging - No - you will be selling to people who want out of the box solutions instead of halfway done content.
    Without Animatoins 50/50 - I'd say you might loose some customers if there isn't at least examples of your characters working inside Unity with a character controller.
    No - not non-rigged 3D animations.

This isn't a bad option, but more likely - if you want to participate in indie development, instead of sub-specializing in only character art, it might be better for you to expand your knowledge/skill to include rigging and animating. This way you will have more options in the future, and be able to provide complete solutions to individuals and teams.

30. Everbrave

Everbrave

Tons of useful information. Thanks everyone. I'll definitely be rigging my animations and I guess a playable demo of the animated characters isn't against Mixamo's terms as long as the animations aren't packaged in with the asset. I guess I was always under the assumption that animations were unique to each rig and it was nearly impossible to use animations done on a different rig. I have lots to learn in the animation department. I've taken some animation classes already but have a few more before I graduate. Maybe I'll start off with some simple animations and just learn as I go.

Thanks again!

Malbers likes this.
  31. Killbix

Killbix

32. Taalja

Taalja

Until I develop 3D art skills of my own, I'm keeping an eye out for customizable characters that match the aesthetic I'm aiming for (kind of a simple-but-elegant Eastern toon stylization, similar to chibi but much less exaggerated if possible, with a more or less modern theme). Although a full UMA-like system would be amazing, some of the character sets already available would be a great fit if I knew how to add more options. For instance, if I could get this kit's selection in this, this, or this art style, and perhaps a color-picking tool, I'd probably be covered for human characters. I should probably be looking for an edit-animated-models plugin instead, but I don't even know how to search for something so technical.:oops:

33. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Consider the UMA system - and while developing your 3D skills - consider creating new character styles in the aesthetic you desire that work with the UMA system. .

34. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

You're joking right?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2016
    Buhlaine likes this.
  35. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

@Nadgamer Please read over our Unity Developer Network Rules and note that we do not allow for posting anything related to sharing pirated content.

I've removed the links to the website posted.

-Edited to add hyperlink

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  36. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'd love a feature where we could pick what part of the asset to download. For example, there are lots of packs on the Asset Store. If someone makes a pack of 80+ materials, if they are 4K, they can easily get up to 500 MB. This is a lot of SSD space, and takes a long time to download even with my 50mbs internet. That's part of the reason why I upgraded to 50 from 25; I just got tired of waiting to download assets during my very limited development time. Many people have to live with <10MBS internet, so such a package might take half a day to download. If we could pick what part of the asset to download, that would be great.

infinitypbr likes this.
  37. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

As a publisher who makes lots of updates to packs that are 1-3Gigs in size, I concur. I recently mentioned the "collaborate" system could be a good starting point. If I update a script to fix a single bug, it makes no sense that I should upload 3 gigs of data, ad anyone who wants the fix download the same. Esp if that bug needs fixing in every package.

DroidifyDevs likes this.
  38. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Well...500MB on my 5Mbs line takes about 15-20 minutes to download usually. If that's taking more than a few minutes to download on a 25Mbs line, you might want to have that looked at. (Uploading, on the other hand, is much slower; if I had to upload a couple of GBs, it would indeed take half a day.)

--Eric

39. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Usually internet is sold in megaBITS per second. So if you have 5mbs internet, that's 5/8 MBytes per second. For a 2GB asset, it would take about an hour to download. But what if you only need the materials from that package, so you need only 300MB of a 2GB package? Well that's less than 10 minutes, if such a feature existed. While for people like me, good internet doesn't make this feature a necessity, many other people might not have the same luxury.

And as @sfbaystudios pointed out, uploading is even worse. Since I have Verizon FiOs (fiber-optic), my upload = my download, but cable and DSL have much slower uploads. It would just be a nice touch from Unity to offer such an option; it probably isn't that hard to implement as we can already pick what to install once we download the package.

40. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yes, that's why I wrote 5 Mbs (as opposed to 5MBs); I'm aware of how speeds work, which is why your download times seemed way off. Also I'm the one who pointed out that uploading was worse. ;)

Not sure you understood my post, since I wasn't disagreeing.

--Eric

DroidifyDevs likes this.
  41. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Sorry, I understood your post entirely, I might have given the wrong impression. I refer to anything over 2 minutes as a long time, especially if my total development time for the day less than an hour :(

42. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

For my largest packages, I only upload when I'm asleep, as it also means I can't use that version of unity anymore and can't keep working.

DroidifyDevs likes this.
  43. orb

orb

Stick it in feedback. Get votes. I'll reallocate votes to it if need be.

44. DerekBenson

DerekBenson

Hola. I'm an artist with 22 years experience in games. I want to make things for the asset store.

Titles I've made: Earthworm Jim, Everquest 1 and 2, Splatterhouse. I've done games for mobile, pc and console.

I can make environments, characters, effects, UI. Cover art too, I suppose. I just don't know where to start.

I'd greatly appreciate any information on this topic. Thanks very much.

45. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

My suggestion: Do what you enjoy most, that can also be done quickly. Browse the store for similar things, and see how you can be better, more valuable to an indie game developer or a studio looking to prototype.

Art isn't the easiest thing to sell on the Asset Store, I've learned. So it may be smart to start with things that can be done quickly, so your time investment is minimal. Once you've got some cash rolling in, even a bit, you'll know the market more and know what you should and shouldn't spend your resources on.

TonyLi likes this.
  46. DerekBenson

DerekBenson

Thank you. I'll try it; I'm making the art anyway.

Good lord, that link in your sig, is that your stuff? Holy cow!

Maziu and infinitypbr like this.
  47. orb

orb

@DerekBenson: Make some stuff in every style you're good at. Compare sales, focus on the popular one and churn out sets of assets. Total sales don't matter as much as relative numbers for that first period. It's a fickle market, though, so trends change.

Maziu and theANMATOR2b like this.
  48. Rowlan

Rowlan

There are 2 things I'd like to see on the asset store:

For one I'd like to see more assets on sale than the 1 item that's on a 24 hour sale.

And then there is the question: What would anyone do with Halloween assets that are on sale 1 week before Halloween? These may be good for a game in next year, but hardly for this year's Halloween. The time to create and release a game within 1 week is just too short. So in other words: If you intend to do a Christmas sale with Christmas items, you should do it in the coming weeks and not at Christmas.

SarfaraazAlladin and LarryIRL like this.
  49. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

There are other assets on sale, all the time.
    There is a thread on here somewhere called "assets on secret sale" or something similar.
    It lists assets that have been reduced in price by the providers.

LarryIRL and Rowlan like this.
  50. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

theANMATOR2b and Rowlan like this.