Search Unity

Discussion What assets on the asset store are sus?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted User, Mar 21, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

As the name implies. If you have definitely seen an asset from another area, what was it, and where did you see it? Last part is important as we need proof that it was pirated. Let's try to keep things classy on this thread.:)

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Why do we need a thread for this? Just use the report feature on the store page.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ryiah: The report button is there for the owner of the work to contact Unity. You'll just be ignored if you don't own it.

That statement is on page 2.

6. Murgilod

Murgilod

And it's wrong. That's for an entirely different process, as seen here:
    https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/...infringement-for-an-asset-on-the-Asset-Store-

In fact, if you click on the report button, you'll see that that isn't stated anywhere.
    upload_2023-3-21_11-43-55.png

To make matters worse, just over a month ago, we had a thread where people were just assuming an asset was stolen and advocating reporting it because it looked suspicious.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/can-this-asset-be-used-in-commercial-game.1399606/

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's possible I'm misremembering but I made that statement based off of my own experience trying to report one.

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

I've used this to report assets that were reselling sound effects and assets that outright no longer worked.

Ryiah likes this.
  9. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Nope.
    If you come across a problematic asset report it. There are more productive uses of time if you want to actually create a game.

neginfinity and Ryiah like this.
  10. milox777

milox777

A much bigger issue are assets that get abandoned/deprecated. Or publishers doing the bait and switch where you buy something on sale or in a bundle, then they deprecate it and release a "new" version and you have to buy it again. Or high quality 3D models/packs getting buried under all the stylized cartoony packs which I'm personally not interested in, believe it or not there are still people that use Unity for 3D instead of that other engine that also starts with "U". I believe discoverability on the Asset Store should be improved, especially search - maybe even a natural language GPT search?

That said, I'd generally be more careful when buying stuff like music, sfx or animations as they can be easily stolen and not easy to find out unless you own and known all the audio packs out there. 3D/2D graphics or scripts are searchable on the open internet so they can be found out. Do your research of the publisher when in doubt. Either way I doubt stolen assets on the Store is common in any substantial way - just a few bad apples. Vast majority of publishers are great hardworking folk that help us make games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.