Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

What are your plans for 2012?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thunderent, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Here we are in 2012,the last year of our lives,the year of the apocalypse :D

So what will you make in 2012?Maybe start on the next MMO that will ruin WoW(as always),assemble a team to make the next RPG better than Skyrim or write your own game engine?

For me,there are many things to do this year.First one,learn programming(at least getting better at it),going commercial(publish my stuff in the Asset Store),and learning hand-painted textures.There are many guys here that are so talented at it,it makes me jealous.
    Game related,with the release of Unity 3.5(free version for me,unless I win at the lottery :D),I'm thinking of starting my own game project.I don't have any ideas yet.

What about you Unity users?

2. ivanzu

ivanzu

Improve my texturing skills,finish the watermill scene,learn programming and to do some small freelancing jobs.

3. Acumen

Acumen

- Release Droppin' Bombs
    - Release BirdTurds
    - Release UniBot
    - Release Crazy Kernels
    - Talk charlescharleston into sending me my well deserved million
    - Finally work on one of my tiny tiny own games and release that too (just gotta find and convince a programmer for that)
    - Keep my devblog updated - 1 entry per week at least

4. ivanzu

ivanzu

LOL

5. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Best situation Finish adam the vampire slayer become rich hire too teams to make a rts and a fps buy a kombi van make it the best(vtec engine etc) travel around australia return to relese said rts and fps then become richer start a revenutionary isp with my riches.... it could happen :)

Good situation finish adam the vampire slayer it goes well enough to buy a macbook pro, Unity pro,
    Ios pro and android pro, from there ill make loads of model packs hopefully making a living were ill begin making a fps

what will proboly happen Adam The Vampire Slayer will flop for a unknown reson, i will still be broke i will learn c# and make the software for my isp idear relise its to hard give up, go back to being a looser :(

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  6. LordJulian

LordJulian

Make Deus Ex 4 in Unity.

Well, someone has to dream of it.

7. n0mad

n0mad

- Release Kinetic Damage
    - Take some F***ing vacation at last :eek:
    - ... but being unable to take some because of inevitable customer support AAAAARGH

8. HolBol

HolBol

Finish the stuff I started. Yay!
    Also, click my brain into A-Level mode.

9. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Well, my plans are on the air, but one common path among all possibilities is simple: release more and more games.

Hopefully, I'll release at least 7 games across the entire year.

My first one (Chicken Panic) is already pending approval and depending on its success, depends how I will approach future titles.

I forsee myself more aggresively using Ads and IAP instead of pure paid releases, though.

10. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

***K you Acumen, we agreed I get a million when you guys are rich :D

and what im doing.

By febuary:
    -Release !s-collect
    -Release POH! update
    -Finalize my other game concept
    -raise 200euro from freelance (or im not going on holiday :L)

By April:
    -Finish racing game
    -Start/finish another game in the pipeline
    -Be a BAJILLIONAIRE.
    By august:
    -Visit my canadian friends @molecube as planned for some experience
    -Have my own iOS basic and unity licenses along with a nice second hand iMac
    -Be a CKADKDADILLIONAIRE.

11. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Is that when you are the proud owner of many bahing goats?

Edit:
    bahing goats... *scrible scrible new game concept scrible*

12. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Actually I was thinking, dig a large whole down under my house and find diamond :) its easy enough in minecraft.

13. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

What if you hit lava or zombies first?! :(

14. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Collect a bucket of lava, use it to drop it on there heads. Simples :) ill take a bucket of water just incase.

15. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

So...everybody wants to become rich this year...hmm,that's an interesting fact :D
    It doesn't matter,the END comes anyways...

16. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

May as well be high in the leaderboards before the game is over!!!

17. ivanzu

ivanzu

END will come when hippo gets mad :).

18. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Who wouldn't want to get rich? :) And no. the end will come when hippo releases a game hes working on. *SPOILER ALERT*

19. janpec

janpec

I hope that END will be postponed , becouse i would really like to finish game first.

20. ivanzu

ivanzu

Its already released..NOOOOOOOO!If you mean on other game then YEESSS!

I would want to play it before I die.

21. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Nope :) No one noes of this :3 I dont think anyway.

22. ivanzu

ivanzu

If anyone sees something big,gray and round on night sky don't be afraid its just moon.

23. Farfarer

Farfarer

Finish my first game. The engine stuff's pretty much done now, I just need to do that artwork and puzzles.

24. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

For 2012 I'm planning to get away from planning so much and actually finish something ;)

I'm also moving away from writing code and trying out some visual script editors. Plus I'm caving in and trying a third party 2D solution instead of trying to roll my own. And then my general aim is to create and sell a small game by the time my birthday rolls around in May.

25. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

I will be the only one here who gets rich.I will win the lottery on 14 April 2012 at 3 PM...I have it on my scheldule.I have everything planned for this year :D

Now seriously,I learned to lower my expectations every year,because most of the time I end up doing nothing...I've had 3 game projects so far,and none of them has seen the daylight,mainly because I'm a dreamer...(I'm dreaming about stuff instead of DOING them...),I get bored and lack of motivation.
    I hope this year is going to be different.

26. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Everybody is a dreamer. You have to force yourself to do stuff even when you are bored. Else it's not a job, its just a hobbie.

27. n0mad

n0mad

Don't deceive your dreams, realize them ;)

Most of it consisting in forbidding the 3 axes of evil :
    - laziness
    - "I can do that tomorrow"
    - overpolishing

28. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

It's more of a hobbie for me.I'm under 18 and I've never earned anything from game dev/modelling/scripting yet...I'm making games for fun,and because I want a game dev career later on...
    Everytime I think of a new project,I finish 50% of it...and then I get another idea for a new project...and so on.This year I want it to be different.

29. tyoc213

tyoc213

* Learn Unity.
    * Do some demo-games in short time... I will like to win the Pro versión... but I don't even have an idea to implement (at less a simple idea of my own :S).
    * Learn shaders and other required things (which I don't know what they are right now).
    * Read open source engines.
    * Conquest world or some like that aka GL HF.
    * Do some really nice games, and usage of the engine :D.
    * Start my company and have an area 51 that is dedicated to do games (I'm a normal employee at some consultory).
    * And sure play a lot, learn a lot, have fun a lot, see where I get after I switch 50%>+ or even 80% to doing games (the anterior year dedicated to learn/devel games was like 5 hours in all the year).

And sure like people said before, be more about facts than dreams, be more organized and objective.

30. jtadeo1

jtadeo1

My goal is to get a simple 4 person multiplayer game running. Then be able to create my own game assets with Blender. I know it's a long road and hope that by this time next year I'll have at least the first part in place. I'm also hoping some of the groundwork I did last year will get me some new gigs using Unity.

31. kweiko

kweiko

Nah I'd say
    "Else it's not a job, it's not even a hobbie, it's just a dream."

@Thunderent, I'd recommend you team up with someone who has the opposite skills, and who's good with the whip ;) Someone who's pushing you to "just do it" all the time, those persons are invaluable =)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  32. TehWut

TehWut

This.

33. mehware

mehware

Android.

34. kweiko

kweiko

yeah but don't focus on the first part of the first sentence. Judging from the rest of that snippet, he actually wants to get things done, he just don't get it done (aka the common case).

This.

35. kweiko

kweiko

My plans for 2012!
    - Actually follow my rule of FINISHING one game each season (small casual games), unless I...
    - Assemble the golden team to found a studio (initially e-based)
    - Release Army of One: W-URM#1
    - Release [Untitled Game] which I'm currently working on
    - Update my dev blog and portfolio with stuff I've already done but never seem to record and showcase (I've just found about a great screen recorder so that problem should be solved soon!)
    - Participate in Dare to Be Digital =D
    - Graduate from my MSc in games tech.

- Get some money out of any or all of that! Enough to keep doing what I love doing atleast ;)

36. kweiko

kweiko

*interested programmer* What game? =)
    Plz PM so we don't spam this thread :p

37. Somedays

Somedays

Hopefully my first game on the Android, Backyard Zombies. does really well and makes me tons of money so I can move out to California with my friends and make our SmashGames company serious with developing apps for both iPhone and Android. I aim to make atleast 2 more games during spring this year at school and then a huge project during summer! (Yes I have very high hopes and big aspirations but hey there's no other way to do it :D)

38. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I think I'll sort of go out and get laid sort of thing. I mean, 2011 was spent hooked up to my pc! Oh and release at least 3 games.

39. jin76

jin76

take over the world !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o and release robot universe

40. TehWut

TehWut

finish one game. Anything. even the most pathetic excuse for a game. I never finish anything, so I never have anything to show for my countless weeks worth of sweat and blood. This year will be different! Also, I will get back into shape! I miss my former athletic self! looks like I'll have to do that, my project, and make good grades consistently. Oh well :D

41. windexglow

windexglow

Work on game as a hobby for next few months, USMC boot camp april 23rd. That's probably the end of any serious coding until I'm done with education training.

42. JRavey

JRavey

Release the three finished games I have in my queue. They are done and playable, but I don't think they are polished enough for my tastes. I was suckered into helping an online game system with SmartFox and I would like to see that reach a few thousand CCU. Probably wishful thinking.

43. coffinsnail

coffinsnail

For me its very simple.

Learn C#
    Due as much tutorial work in Unity as i can, learn as much about blender i can. And hopefully by the end of 2012 i will have my lil sandbox to play in.

Basically my game making dream is huge, but i am thinking small. I want to build one game area not to large that i can plant my RPG Chars into with respawning mobs to work on the charectures themselfs. I have always believed that what makes a MMORPG succesful is not the amount of quests you offer (they are time filler) but how much you can do with your charecture. So my first goal is charectures and how they work. From my lil sandbox i might be able to intice enough talent to join a team, or i might raise the intrest of a company already looking for a idea. Who knows.

But if all goes as planned i might have a small beta area for people to tool around in, and possible even have some PVP in. (Still have to find out if that is possible with unity free)

44. Acumen

Acumen

Adding to list:

- don't get overly emtionally attached to projects you worked on for free pretty much the entire time and just finish the job instead
    - do less free work you can get emotionally attached to

45. dragonstar

dragonstar

i am working in two more games a 3 person shooter and space shooter and fixing the little bugs they have left on my first game

46. login4donald

login4donald

This year, I'd like to create a game worth buying and not scarp projects or waste time, and become a better modeler/3d artist.

47. techmage

techmage

world domination

48. disturbing

disturbing

Leading HourBlast Games in releasing Dueling Blades!

49. rab236

rab236

I'm going to finish the GDD for a game that I'm in the pre-production stages of and then get to work on it with my team. It will probably take a while to finish (it's a somewhat big project and we're a small team), so I won't set the release deadline for too soon (probably not before 2013).

50. jjsuperspy

jjsuperspy

im possibly actually going to start developing my third person action, adventure game inspired by the uncharted or infamous titles and have some what of a story thats like inception or something along the lines of that :)