Search Unity

What are your "must have" Asset Store assets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dbryson, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I guess its already been listed but I have to say In control this is amazing if you are doing anything with controllers, it works for most major controllers and you wont have to worry about axises on different OSES. If I have my PS4 controller and an xbox controller attached, I can simply start using my xbox controller and then without even unplugging anything switch to my ps4 controller and it will just work (if you use the "active device").

The only issue is the user would not be able to bind the keys in the launcher (since it makes over 200 of them).
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/14695

2. CarterG81

CarterG81

Interesting, I'd have to compare InControl to Rewired.

Rewired claims to be superior to InControl in many ways, and the top review compares the two (giving Rewired the win over InControl & cInput).

If you're interested,

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/21676

3. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Well maybe it is. Damn

4. Player7

Player7

omfg.. the number of times I've left Unity in play mode, gone to edit a script, saved, gone back to unity.. ooh S*** the stupid thing has locked up because it was left in play.

And Unity preference is pretty bleak, really they should just have an option to prevent the editor from compiling a new script change if you have left it in play mode or even paused. The feature seems to have gotten so unstable that really I dare not forget to just jump out of play mode now before going to IDE or when I tab back to Unity I quickly turn off play mode before it gets done compiling the new code updates.

Martin_H and CarterG81 like this.
  5. CarterG81

CarterG81

I feel for you man, :mad:

Martin_H likes this.
  6. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    tosiabunio likes this.
  7. IvyMoon

IvyMoon

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  8. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

If you're planning to build a location based game this is one of the best options you have, and probably the only one in the Unity asset store yet:

Go Map - 3D Map for AR Gaming

Features:
    • Standalone, Android, iOS;
    • Online 3D Map;
    • (new!) In-editor map builder;
    • Easy customization;
    • Buildings, Roads, Water, Green, Earth data;
    • GPS based motion (mobile);
    • Basic controls: camera orbit, pinch zoom;
    • Keyboard motion (editor).
    • Offline tiles;
    • Faster polygon construction;
    • 3D buildings style, with roof and sides textures;
    • Editable roads outline material and width;
    • New POI demo scene, add your prefabs to the map!;

GO Map is a realtime 3D map renderer for AR Gaming purposes.
    It's really easy to use and customize, just build it on your device and go outside to try!
    - Or use it inside editor, it works great too =) -

Map Materials:
    You can customize every element of the map inside the editor without touching a single line of code.
    If you want to override some particular element (church for example) just add a renderer inside the map class and give it a material, it's that simple.
    The demo scene is already set up and you can use it as a starting point.

Flat and 3D style: Demo scene included both for 3D flat style (low buildings) and full 3D with buildings height.

Buildings height and Roads width You can set manually the height and y position for every kind of polygon you want (buildings, water, green, etc) and width for road types.

Locations preset:
    There are some location presets inside the Location Manager class that you can toggle from the editor. If you want to use your own coordinates use the custom preset and set the values inside the demo coordinates property.

If you build for mobile platform (iOS or Android) the map will use your location if available.

9. neginfinity

neginfinity

https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms

10. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

11. weeeBox

weeeBox

12. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Boy, haven't seen this thread flair up in a while.

MV10 likes this.
  13. DudyBB

DudyBB

14. aer0ace

aer0ace

It probably started dying off once asset store authors thought it was a good idea to self promote on this thread.

15. Demigiant

Demigiant

I was thinking the same, that's pretty sad :| I mean, if your own asset is cool for you I understand (I like and use mine too), but don't write here just for promotion, talk about EVERY must-have assets you have. This is an informative thread.

FreeFly90, CarterG81 and Ryiah like this.
  16. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, and reviving the thread in the process.

17. Murgilod

Murgilod

Next Gen Soft Shadows is a pretty handy asset if you don't like how Unity's default shadows look (which you shouldn't, they're awful).

tango209 and CarterG81 like this.
  18. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Btw, I got Asset Hunter 2 to clean up my build and it worked just as advertised with no hic-ups.

VERY happy with my purchase!

CarterG81, SarfaraazAlladin and Ryiah like this.
  19. CarterG81

CarterG81

I'd like to add that Console Enhanced allows you to set options as to how Unity compiles during Play mode. Extremely useful!

20. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I'll quazi-necro to say that there are a few good assets I've found to be pretty useful, and one is Lunar Mobile Console which is pretty handy for mobile development, and Simple Waypoint System, Android Goodies Pro for doing native android stuff...

ummm...

Honorable mention to Benchy Profiler for helping me before the "Pro" profiler became not-so-pro and before I became "Plus" :p

Sprites And Bones from Banburry and further modified by PlayEmGames is great! and free! Might not be on asset store...

21. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Eh, it's an open ended thread.

MD_Reptile likes this.
  22. steelersfan252

steelersfan252

I dont use the asset store anymore, but anything reliable is a must

23. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

CarterG81 likes this.
  24. CarterG81

CarterG81

I see this view a lot. People will respond to some of my suggestions to "use the asset store" with disdain; as if that somehow means they aren't 'real developers'.

Ironic in my view, as IMO the only reason to use Unity is exclusively because of the Asset Store. To me, I raise an eyebrow to those who use Unity for any reason other than the Asset Store. I'd even go as far as to look into purchasing Assets for their source code, even when not using Unity.

It's interesting how different people perceive things.

25. SarfaraazAlladin

SarfaraazAlladin

Tbh, I don't really see the difference between using the asset store and hiring someone to do the work. (Other than the obvious fact that the work isn't exclusively in uour game, and that the asset store is hand over fist cheaper than contracting the work)

In that vain, I don't really buy artwork from the store anymore, unless I need some placeholders to progress. Scripts and editor extensions though are huge time savers when they are well made. Really, any asset in which you can swap out the artwork or audio is worth considering.

CarterG81, Socrates and Ryiah like this.
  26. Ryiah

Ryiah

Resources from the store are more general purpose too. Assets from the store may solve your problems but they'll often have plenty of baggage included that serves no purpose for you.

27. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I'll take "does too much and I have to gimp it" over "does too little and I have to rewrite it" :p

EDIT: one exception to that - native plugin assets... they tend to "overdo it" and you can't usually modularly enable/disable certain aspects of the plugin. This means if it does too much, your stuck with all the "extra stuff" in memory and whatnot...

SarfaraazAlladin and Ryiah like this.
  28. PixelReignTeam

PixelReignTeam

For 2D game devs out there, we created this 2D level editor :)
    http://u3d.as/KCi
    Saves a lot of time and generates optimized geometry so you can even use it for mobile games

29. zenGarden

zenGarden

There is no must have, it's all related to your game project, target platform, how you work.
    It's specific to your needs.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    GarBenjamin likes this.
  30. CarterG81

CarterG81

Console Enhanced is a must have for any project & Rewired is a must have for any desktop computer (PC/Mac/Linux) project.

These apply to all or nearly all projects, without very many exceptions.

SarfaraazAlladin likes this.
  31. TonyLi

TonyLi

This sentiment applies to assets that will be incorporated into your game. There's another category of assets -- editor productivity tools -- that are useful in any project. I always import uTomate into my projects to automate tasks, and I've started regularly importing Spotlight Inspector as a drop-in enhancement for the inspector view.

32. CarterG81

CarterG81

Why do you even use Unity? Or even C#/C++?

Why not just code in Assembly?

Assembly games run just fine.

elmar1028 likes this.
  33. zenGarden

zenGarden

Ahahha , people that never understand their choices is not all people choice and their way of doing things is not everyone's way of doing things :D

34. Murgilod

Murgilod

Ahahha. people coming into a helpful thread to say how the thread isn't REALLY helpful because they don't believe in its core conceit.

CarterG81 likes this.
  35. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Ya know - there is a way to avoid this - although it isn't much of a problem for me, usually I can return to unity no problem.

(EDITED MISINFORMATION OUT :p )

I'll try and write a plugin that quits playmode on import, maybe there would be demand for that on the asset store.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  36. Player7

Player7

Honestly I could live without it, when editing scripts and leaving Unity in playmode, I generally want the scripts to compile instantly (but maybe not take effect until stopping and playing again) anyway. There are times when you don't want it compiling and wrecking the play mode, but other times its fine. I'm just alot more aware of it now, and so if I do leave it in playmode and go write some script changes I just don't save, until I'm ready for it to compile in editor. I'm sure if unity could bothered to improve the default preferences and add in more useful fking options they would.

With console enhanced doesn't really do much for me (cosmetically I just put it in unity default style, and even then I didn't like some the minor differences.. every other style change kinda looked ugly), and apart from that one option "compile on stop" which didn't work for me anyway as Unity still compiled regardless.. so its either broken in 5.6 or yeh not much use.

"I'll try and write a plugin that quits playmode on import"
    No point it takes like half second to declick the play button myself and do it, besides maybe I want to see the scene running while unity is compiling script updates.. maybe I want to see a bunch of console errors the moment it finishes compiling as everything breaks... maybe I like that interaction and error feedback.. these quirks are features of Unity :D

37. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Well, then you wouldn't be looking a for a way to get rid of it :p

I suppose it wouldn't be universally needed, but hey, who knows, maybe a few people might find it kind of handy. I almost always end playmode before I go editing scripts, or if I don't, I usually don't get any crash, and just quit playmode upon returning to unity, but like others have said, some users get crashes when they do that! (I hope besides you! haha)

38. CarterG81

CarterG81

The sad thing in this strange perspective is that this is some kind of opinion, when it is not.

Assets like Console Enhanced Pro are empirically superior in every way to the default console. Inspector extensions are just plain superior to the default. Most assets which improve the Editor are useful for any & all projects and are just plain better.

So it's not an opinion that it's better. It's a fact. An irrefutable one. Especially considering most of these assets are "The same thing as default, but with more features." And in this context? More is definitely better.

Empirically Better.

Why empirically? Because those who have observed or experienced these assets know they are better. Those who claim it's just opinion because they don't have any experience with these assets? They base their claim on some theory that it's just a different way to handle the same thing, not a clearly superior system. Using t he asset would change their mind.

39. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Just updated my list of essentials.

As before, Grab Yer Assets is the first to be imported. Thereafter I use it to import the others in batch.

Advanced Builder 1.5.4
    Advanced FPS Counter 1.3.3.1
    Advanced Multi-Scene 0.54f1
    Anti-Cheat Toolkit 1.5.5
    Asset Hunter 2.1.3
    Cinema Pro Cams 1.4.3.2
    Core Gamekit 3.2.6.9
    Distance Tool 1.0
    Draconus Icon Manager 1.3.6
    DOTween Pro 0.9.650
    Easy Save 2.7.1p2
    Find Pro 1.5
    Find Replace Tags Layers 1.42
    Grab Yer Assets 3.17
    i2 Localization 2.6.10f1
    Mad Level Manager 2.3.6
    Maintainer 1.3.0.2
    Master Audio 4.0.9
    Mesh Baker 3.19.3
    Mesh LOD 2.7
    Monitor Components 1.02
    Obsfucator 1.24.2
    P.A.T.C.H. Patching System 2.1.2
    Package Uninstaller 1.2
    QHierarchy 3.4
    Rainbow Folders 0.7.1
    Reports4Unity 1.0.4
    SceneMate 1.2
    Script Inspector 3.0.17
    SRDebugger 1.6
    Tag & Layer Manager 1.01
    Text Mesh Pro 1.0.55.52.0b5
    uIntelliSense 1.7
    Unity Package Asset Index 0.9.9.2a
    zz Ruler 2.0

40. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Universal Sound FX is probably the only one guaranteed to get into every project of mine, besides assets I've created.

41. teknic

teknic

A few indispensable assets not mentioned in this thread:

Unity Post Processing Stack - critical for visual quality and achieving specific art direction.

Amplify Shader Editor (ASE) - just out of beta. An amazing visual shader editor. I was using ShaderForge, but ASE has more built in solutions and generates very clean shaderlab code.

Gaia, GeNa, for terrain/environment work - Unity's terrain system is incredibly limited, but these systems integrate nicely with Unity's built-in workflow/assets. CTS from the same author also looks promising.

Rocky Meadow Assets - a free package containing a small collection of rocks and vegetation. great for prototyping.

+1 for the ProCore tools. ProBuilder, ProGrids, QuickBrush, and QuickEdit are fantastic.

Dungeon Level Kit. This was a free level 11 download a while back. The assets are well made and great for prototyping both 1st and 3rd person dungeon levels.

ManufacturaK4 - high quality assets made by professionals.

SECTR and related addons. High quality seamless level loading and management system.

Instant Screenshot - free utility which can capture super hi res screenshots in the editor - great for portfolios and marketing images

Edy's Vehicle Physics - great vehicle system

+1 for Rewired. Straightforward setup, easy to configure and use.