Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your goals with Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frosted, Sep 30, 2019.

?

What are your goals with Unity?

1. Having fun

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. Building a game I really want to play

25 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. I currently make a living using Unity as a professional tool

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. Self expression, creativity, a break from work/school

15 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Starting my own dev studio one day!

22 vote(s)
    48.9%
  6. Stop asking such hard questions! I donno wtf I am doing!

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. frosted

frosted

I'm just curious what kinds of goals you guys have working with Unity. So, I made a poll.

Vote now! You can pick more than one.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

"I currently make a living using Unity as a professional tool" is not exactly a goal :)

3. frosted

frosted

Sure it is, your goal is to "keep making an income" - I just wanted to separate that from "hoping to make an income at some point later"

Ony and angrypenguin like this.
  4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So if I'm living using Unity as a professional tool, but I want other things, I shouldn't pick it then?

5. frosted

frosted

You should pick it if you would like to continue making an income w/ Unity.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

I use it to make stupid prototypes people will ridicule me for. Its a blast.

7. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

My "company" mantra is "Doing cool things to help people." I am using Unity to design virtual reality rehabilitation programs. I think it is really cool and has many advantages to help people including making rehabilitation exercises more fun (and distracting), providing 3D biomechanical motion analysis using inexpensive off the shelf VR equipment, and allowing the creation of treatments not possible without VR.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't have a goal with Unity, but Unity is welcome to help me achieve my existing goals. At least that's how I word it mentally :D

9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

My goal is to have a big enough studio so that I can stop using Unity.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think most studios use Unity now in some capacity or other regardless of scale :D

11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The studio can use Unity as long as I don't have to :)

Billy4184 and angrypenguin like this.
  12. kdgalla

kdgalla

I'm trying to make a little 15-minute freeware game that I'll upload to itch.io. I'm hoping at least 10 people download it and maybe one random person leaves a comment along the lines of "This has a lot of potential but needs a lot of work". After that I'm going to brag about my amazing, successful indie game at parties.

Actually, I'd consider my game a huge success if random people I don't know start doing fan-art of my characters. That's how I'd know that I really struck a chord. Bonus points if people make bizarre alterations that I don't understand, like re-imagining my characters as My-Little Pony characters or something.

Ryiah and Deleted User like this.
  13. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Really my goals "with Unity" are just to get me towards existing goals more quickly. Tools should help achieve goals, not set them. ;)

zombiegorilla, Ryiah and Deleted User like this.
  14. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

"Build a game I really want to play" sounds a bit ego and selfish.
    I would say "Build games which everyone love to play".
    And build apps which bring some help on people life and industries.
    Finally, become the most innovative Unity Asset Store publisher.

These are my 3 goals with Unity.;)

frosted and Deleted User like this.
  15. Laumania

Laumania

Basically I want to have fun, but current I'm actually working on a "real game" that could have some potential - which just makes it even more fun!

All started by my kids asking me to find such a game...which I couldn't.... which turned into a "hold my beer" situation, and now I'm building this game and making videos about it on YouTube :)
    (All in spare time/weekends, fulltime job takes all the daytime hours :))

16. MikaMakesGames

MikaMakesGames

I voted for "self expression" and "starting own studio one day". I'm currently using it as an outlet for creativity, and I have been casually for two years or so (on and off). The big dream is to one day make a living creating small games, apps, anything.. as long as I get to be somewhat free on the artistic side.

17. iamthwee

iamthwee

Voted having fun, though since I got my macbook the hard disk has filled up so no chance of using unity anymore until I build my ultimate windows box.

18. Ryiah

Ryiah

External USB 3.0 flash drives are awesome. I have a few budget ADATA drives that run at 100MB/sec. You might be able to store your projects on them too since benchmarks indicate Unity doesn't really care about the performance of the storage drive.

19. iamthwee

iamthwee

I already got a 256GB SD card but I doubt I even have enough space for unity program let alone project files. AFAIK, the unity program needs to be installed on the main harddrive right?

Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 20.50.24.png

20. Ryiah

Ryiah

I have no idea but I do know you can install it manually from the links in the release notes and then point the hub at it.

21. iamthwee

iamthwee

Interesting, but TBH I'd love to know what the hell is taking up so much space.

I have flutter and xcode and android studio. I'm pretty certain, the flutter / xcode cache files are clogging it up.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Deleted User likes this.
  22. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

These days a 120gig HDD just isn't very big. Particularly for software development, as you need to have loads of libraries and such installed.

Android Studio can suck up gigs easily as well. Running emulators requires system images, and some of those are multiple gigs alone.

iamthwee and Deleted User like this.
  23. iamthwee

iamthwee

Yeah I wish apple told me BTW your macbook "PRO" has a soldered 128 SSD which is barely enough and soldered 8GB ram (chuckle) and a crappy i5 processor (chuckle) before I bought it - oh and by the way, it "only" costs an extra £200 to have a 250SSD instead of a 128SSD (which again is barely enough) oh yeah and if your SSD fails you'll need to book it in for repair where we are likely to charge for a full motherboard replacement as well, because the SSD is soldered onto the board so you're not going to be able to do that yourself)

It is primarily for app dev, so I can get around making do with xcode, android studio and affinity photo/designer.
    But installing any more apps forget about it. (and before anyone says I need mac for iOS testing)

Well I found dev cleaner which has cleared some space so I guess that was useful (40GB space left now)

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/devcleaner-for-xcode/id1388020431?mt=12

I'm definitely looking at building a small windows box fully kitted out for everything else.

You may resume topic thread discussion now...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019