Search Unity

What Are You Working On

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by cupsster, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Janpec: I guess I was asking if the speed that you show them to use is the same as the speed that you create them.. "as you turn them out" (of the mould). Fast production on quality goods.

2. janpec

janpec

Oh ye i show them when its done and yes thats my speed. About 2 hours for that candle, and usually 3 hours for prop model.
    Hm dont know if thats really fast, i have seen much faster:D

3. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Fast enough...

4. drewradley

drewradley

@Little Angel

Thanks for the link! I'll take a look at it and see what I can learn/use. I have been working on a way to get the bumpers to add more force to the ball but thus far my efforts haven't been very successful. Is there a way to override the limit of "1" on the bounce in a physics material? That would certainly be the easiest. Otherwise I'll need to probably add a little torque to the ball or maybe just a little extra force to it. I've tried both of those with no measure of success but I'll go back to them and try again. I plan on having the camera adjustable by the player. I'd thought about a sprite for the ball but decided against it since I want to learn physics and collisions. And since it is a learning project for me I am not too worried about a few very minor glitches in the physics but maybe with the help of that link I can solve them all.

It's totally time for you to get a promotion from Little to Helpful Angel. :)

5. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

Hello!!! This is my first post on these forums.
    I would like to intreduce myself! name is Micah as stated in my profile.
    i have 3 years worth of practice with 3ds max and photoshop and a years worth with programing (which isn't very good).
    I would now like to make games and have decided to use unity and its tools to do so.
    here is a character that i have created to start off and creat a simple android game.
    the texture is hand painted and will be made into 256 x 256 for ingame.

6. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Thanks! First I'm going to make a low poly version, then I can work on making the edges smoother.

Here are some different views:

Criticism welcome! :)

Does any one know how it would add the indents show in this picture? (I'm using Blender)

Thank you so much!

7. Farfarer

Farfarer

Micah : Awesome texturing :D I'd scale the massive zip pull on his back down a little, though. As cool as it is, it actually obscures the zip that it opens, which means it's not too clear at first glance what it actually is.

8. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

yer I should have put abit of info on.
    puting it simple the zip on the back clips off and is used as a weapon, thus its size. I also wanted to make it feel like a cape not just a zip.

9. ivanzu

ivanzu

Use loop cut tool then select every other face and press extrude then cancel that by right clicking(in my case) then go to pivots and set individual origins and press shrink/fatten button and just play with it until you get wanted results.

SELECT FACES LIKE SO!

10. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Thanks man...i just can't wait to add the fish and the squid mwahahaha

11. Priske415

Priske415

Looks more like a super villain but I dig the style, nice texture work!

12. janpec

janpec

Nice work. Could you tell how do you make wireframe renders combined with textures? Do you do that in max?

13. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

WOW, that looks fantastic. Just how a super low polygon character should be modeled and textured. Excellent job.

14. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Rush-Rage-Games: Just cut geometry. One thing that might help you, would be to add a backgroundimage into blender.

I believe the sequence should be hit N to toggle palette, and look for this:

Then you could put the lightsaber in the BG as reference.

-

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  15. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

drewradley

(^_^) Thanks!

Thinking about real pin-ball machines:
    The rubber sllingshot bumpers have a trigger that senses the ball's impact on the rubber band, which in turn releases the bumper mechanism. This adds a lot of force to the ball when it collides with the bumper if there is enough force to trip the triggers.

The triggers are in cyan and the bumper is in magenta:

Image:http://www.actionpinball.com/games/tz7/pf4.jpg
    Source:http://www.actionpinball.com/games/tz7/index.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumper_(pinball)

Another thing interesting to note is that most modern (last 30/40 years) pinball machines have been made by rearranging standard or semi-standard parts (http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/playfield.html), so you could take this in mind when planning the shape of your game.

Another good resource is here: http://www.ipdb.org/ where you can read up on the almost idiotic complexity of the modern pinball machine.

-

Got off topic with all the felgercarb...

The point was that touching the slingshot bumper will need some tweaking with code. You will need to have something that detects an impact (OnCollisionEnter?) and looks at the angle and magnitude of the impact and if it exceeds a threshold, then imparts additional force on the ball in a given direction (in theory based on it's position along the virtual rubber band).

OnCollisionEnter (w/ magnitude example): http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/Collider.OnCollisionEnter.html
    Magnitude: http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/Vector3-sqrMagnitude.html

The same will apply to the popup bumpers:

16. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Thanks, I'll try it! And I have been using a background image, it has been a life saver!

17. drewradley

drewradley

Little Angel. Thanks for all that info. Definitely some helpful information. What I've come up with thus far is to add an "Explosion" action in Playmaker on Trigger enter. I've added a trigger to the ball and made a layer called "ball". Then I put an invisible object that causes the explosion when a trigger with layer of "ball" hits it. I've had to crank the force up to 50k to notice anything, but it definitely behaves more pinball-like. The "don't go through" script that you directed me to earlier has pretty much eliminated the problem with the ball passing through the flipper. The only times it happens, strangely enough, is when the ball is moving REALLY slow. The faster the ball is moving the better the flippers work. Trapping the ball and releasing it is problematic if you let the ball get towards the end of the flipper before flipping it. Sometimes it passes right through the ball and hits it on the down stroke rather than on the up which is annoying. Or it gets caught in the middle of the flipper and that causes even more problems. But generally, it really cut back on the problem - almost to the point where I am happy - right now I am only pleased ;)

18. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

You know, drewradley, you might need something similar on the flippers... but they are not linear. That sounds like the paddle passing through the ball rather than the ball through the paddle. Those are two different issues! 0.0!

Unfortunately, I've not spent any time with any of the visual editors, so it's hard for me to imagine a good solution to that without directly coding it.

19. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Said i'll make a demo of realtime global illumination with the famous sponza model, and here it is. Quite short though and sorry for the poor video quality.

BTW if youre interested:
    On an AMD X6 3.2Ghz / AMD Radeon 5770 framerates in this case range from 30 to 370fps, depending on the selected quality. Settings used for the video get about 120fps.

20. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

Yer i do it in Max. Its easy to do in Max as all you need to do is have the textures on and have wires on F4 and screen grab the view port.

21. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Nice one Chickenlord... :)

22. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Very cool!

23. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

What have i been working on? Well very little lately.. Been so busy with school work, but i managed to play around with my ai scripts and created somewhat of a smarter ai. Heres a little demo for the crime system im working on, sorry about the audio...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  24. psYch0

psYch0

Heres the ALMOST finished model in different damage stages (only thing needs to be done is the windows!)

Car from all sides

All the seperate parts

The UV Mapping

Minor damage to the car

Medium damage to the car

Severe damage to the car

Car totally wrecked

25. ivanzu

ivanzu

Made a smoke grenade need to fix the textures they are pretty boring and bad.Suggestions?

26. Ar-Con

Ar-Con

Yeah,

Make the green darker, the stripes black and the label dark gray. Oh, and add some scratches with bump mapping. I think that would improve it a lot.

27. lazygunn

lazygunn

For silent movie lovers, ill have plenty of Buster Keaton squishing shenanigans at some point, thats much as ill say

28. Ar-Con

Ar-Con

I'm making progress. Sort of.

I hope I can finish the character this weekend so I can see how it all looks. I imagine it'll look awesome.

P.S. Changes are mentioned in the video description, but there aren't that many.

29. janpec

janpec

@Ar-Con nice ingame footage.

I have been working on birch tree. I have been using the same technic that "PlatinumGold" 3d modeler for Crysis 2 used for their vegetation.
    Results were quite good but i did some mistake with branches so it didnt came out as good as it should. Making trees is painfull it should be forbiden in game design:D

30. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Ooh! Nice tree anyway (we can't see what's wrong with it...)

What is the "technic that "PlatinumGold" 3d modeler for Crysis 2 used"?

31. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

32. janpec

janpec

@LittleAngel i made a little overview of technic.

"Highpoly" tree modeling overview

*Special thanks to PlatinumGold, 3d vegetation modeler from Crytek*

I have been experimenting a bit with plant modeling and i have been deciding which software should we use for our project (either SpeedTree or Lynda) and then decided to take some research about Crysis 2 vegetation.
    Thanks to Cryteks 3d vegetation modeler i have came across nice pipeline that is giving better results than procedural generators, and more optimised models with hand picked LODs.

This isnt true tutorial but more likely quick pipline showcase for plant modeling and texturing.

Overall hand created "highpoly" plants are more optimised, LODs can be manually set up so there isnt wierd spacing that is caused by procedural generators, huge plus are different branch textures, which is impossible to do with procedural generators.

First start with modeling of small branches. No need to worry about polycount of these since this will be used only for texture extraction. Make sure that you study tree structure well and model branches correctly.

Then UV unwrap those branches and apply some tileable bark texture on it.

Making different sizes and colors of leaves is important for better results, make at least three different leaves.
    All leaves are high poly and UV unwraped with texture applied on them. Make sure that you make specular and normal map texture for leaves and branches to get better results.

Start alligning leaves on branches that you modeled. Make sure that leaves are alligned in different angles, but do not choose too many different angles in 1 branch or it will look wierd.

When branches are done place them all in viewport to match in square. This is important for later to extract texture in square resolution (eg. 2048x2048).

Model tree trunk.

Next step is to export modeled branches to Mudbox for texture extraction, or you can do it in 3ds max with viewport texture baking. I found Mudbox much better for this task.
    To extract diffuse map all you need to do is to render screen. It will actually made screenshot which will be later used as diffuse map. Do the same for specular map, but make sure that you have specular maps for branches assigned in diffuse slot of material. This will render gray branches.
    For normal map you can use fast screen-to-normal filter in Mudbox and again save screen.

When the textures are baked model leaf meshes which are basic planes. Correctly position this planes on tree trunk.

Final result:
    2100 polygons, 1024x1024 map for leaves and 512x512 map for trunk.

This is my first attempt in tree making therefore results werent as good as i though. I have made one huge mistake with branches. For the rest of you who are trying to follow this pipeline, make sure that your branches that are rendered into texture sheets have a lot leaves and long wooden sections. In short you have to cover as much of branch detail in texture as possible, in my case there were too few leafs per single branch, make sure that you have at least twice as much leaves.

I will post update of better version for next plant.

33. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

Ar-Con this is awsome!, good to see someone with some quality work on this thread.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  34. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

Very nice texture work Micah! Love that character design also.

35. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Very nice, I love the atmosphere!

36. Arowx

Arowx

37. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

A little bit too much text for my taste, but still very nice!

38. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

39. Arowx

Arowx

Dag Namit less text might mean less typos! Cheers!

40. nipoco

nipoco

Great job! Nice Atmosphere there. I like it:)

41. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

@janpec: tree modeling in an external app might be much more fun and give you much better results – but until i have not seen those trees in untity and the built in terrain engine i do not believe that you can use them in a proper way: supporting translucency, bump mapping and bending. which is a petty!

lars

42. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I've been using Vue to work on my trees... that should be pretty good to start

43. Mirace

Mirace

44. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

Little Sneak Peak at what is to come :]

$bloodversion.PNG

45. janpec

janpec

It is true i havent tested them in Unity, but for standaloane models they work good for sure. So if your game has very low number of trees it can be used. This is actually very usefull for IOS development since trees with creator are useless due to too high poly usage. I have only tested trees in Cryengine and they work good there, but sadly Unity doesnt handle them well for terrain use.

46. jedy

jedy

This rocks!

47. SquishyPixels-Glimmer

SquishyPixels-Glimmer

48. Sollthar

Sollthar

Might also check your spelling on many of your videos rush--rage-games while you're at it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  49. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

I am really starting to get a hang of texturing! :]

$yeahhhwooot.PNG

50. Sargon_of_Akkad

Sargon_of_Akkad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.