Search Unity

What Are You Working On

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by cupsster, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Eh, I know you all kicked me out of this thread before, but I'm working on a gravity-lift centered level called "The Gravity Core." It involves Gravity Lifts, shafts, big rooms, and more gravity lifts.

2. DangerSnoot

DangerSnoot

@ Acumen - Cheers, I see what you mean about them being too pristine. I'm making a set of textures with increasing wear and tear, so that they can be swapped out (or blended together). Hopefully that'll give them some more character.

@ multivac - Loving the water effect! I'm trying to make something like this myself, but I'm failing miserably on account of my relatively poor scripting knowledge. Might I ask how you're going about it? Also, if it's not too cheeky to ask, is there any chance you might opt to share it? I don't want to use it in a project, but I'm really struggling with mine and would love the opportunity to pick apart your code. If not then I'd settle for some pointers! XD

@ TheLlama - Ooh, shiney... I'm often sadly dissapointed with ice effects, but yours I must say don't fall into that category at all. They have a strong fantasy appeal. How heavy are they in the particle department though?

3. sunset

sunset

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  4. multivac

multivac

Wolfie, there's a really barebones description of the implementation on my blog, which you can find in my signature.
    I'll probably post the project as soon as I have time to clean it up and create a separate project file for it.
    As for the cost, it has a medium cost on the FPS, most of it comes from the separate camera rendering the blocker map and from Texture2D.Apply calls.
    I think the bulk of the effect could be moved to the GPU, if I have some free time, I'll try to port it.

5. Redz0ne

Redz0ne

that is some phenomenal work there. i'd love to take a peek at how you did it ;)

6. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

7. thellama

thellama

The whole ice effect with particles runs about 6 drawcalls. It's a home built shader that uses distortion from a normal map to warp it's surroundings and then a cube map rendered from the location of the ice for added reflectivity accuracy. Then a snow particle effect and some decals pasted across the wall with an ice texture/alpha and normal map.

I'll do some effects tutorials in the future, I'm working on others like magma fonts, lightning blasts and strikes, poison blasts and darkness magic.

I'll post some progress later in the week or this weekend of my effects. If I get enough interest I'll do some tutorial videos.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Trying to get HyperBowl in shape for the Mac App Store:

Attached Files:

9. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

It's cool to see that you're trying your hand at animating. It can be really really challenging, but it can also be a helluvalot of fun. This might be of use when looking at run cycles:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j4YRHf6Iyo

It's a bit over technical, and (as you can read in the comments), there are other systems of analysis, but it's just a labeling system for the same movement and it's the movement that matters.

10. wrm186

wrm186

Just some more stuff I made for my game "Da Hub"

Pool table- going in 2BinProductons building

And the apartment for the game:

Should be a big enough bump right? :p

11. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

@Little Angel: Thanks for the video! At least I was on the right track, making the run cycle two steps long! I just bookmarked that.

12. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Holy cow that's cool! Is it a take-off from what Forrest Johnson posted a couple years back (ie. using normal mapped particles)?

13. galent

galent

Well, in the spirit of the thread, I'm working on a number of things, not the least of which is another update to my iPhone game Fowl Invaders:
    - updated graphics,
    - port to c#
    - improved gameplay
    - tigher controls
    - new weapons
    - new "things to shoot at" :)
    - new iPad version
    - new PC/Mac version
    etc...

Cheers,

Galen

Attached Files:

14. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I did that the other month. With MD and C#, the pipeline is much tighter.

Have you seen this site:
    http://www.m2h.nl/files/js_to_c.php

You'll need to check your script afterwards, as often the type doesn't convert well, but it save a lot of the tedious conversions of things like:
    var myVar Type;
    to:
    public Type myVar;

He seems to have plugins on the asset store as well, which could throw some dosh his way as a thank you.

15. galent

galent

@Llittle Angel - Thanks! I'll check it out. But in this case, port may be too kind of a word.. how about complete refactor :)

That code is ... the result of poor design time :) Ok, it's spagetti code ... yes it performs, but it's a mess pure and simple. I'm looking to do some reusable structures this time, interfaces, factories, better object pooling, etc... I want it to be reusable for my next games and something I'm not ashamed of would be nice as well :)

Cheers,

Galen

16. I Collective

I Collective

WOW! @ TheLlama what you have displayed there is amazing, there is some cool stuff in this thread but that is top o the list in my book. I will be looking forward to reading more about what you find out when your testing is further along. I really like the ice effect that emanates from the crystal formation that is fantastic. Thank you for share looking forward to seeing more.

17. Slem

Slem

I'll show my interest in that right away. Great stuff.

18. thellama

thellama

Thanks for the kind comments, I'll be presenting my Magma Font next. I'm going to start working on a normal mapped particle shader, not sure if I can do it.

19. cupsster

cupsster

search for "gravity gun".. that shader was already done.. maybe you can build on top of that..

20. granada

granada

Trying to get this large arab city into unity.Importing this many textures crashes unity,but a fix is on the way :D.
    Just need to get that last block in.Want to put the enemy stronghold in the middle,so you have to fight your way in to free the hostages.

Dave

21. cupsster

cupsster

look niece procedural.. any details on creation Granada?

22. granada

granada

This was not built by me, i bought the model from turbosquid.Later i want to move ad buildings props to make it more random.

Dave

23. 3dDude

3dDude

Fire pack! Its going to the asset store soon!

24. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Nice lookin' stuff 3DGu... er 3dDude! (sorry...) But seriously, they look good. I'd like to see them in motion! (Got a youTube/Vimeo channel?)

25. 3dDude

3dDude

Thanks! yah no problem ;)

I do have a youtube channel but, I can never get screen recording to work :( I cant find a free screenRecorder that works on mac...

If you look in the showcase section you should see the topic where it was announced... Somewhere on the first page there is a webplayer.

26. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Now, I've got ScreenFlow, but I did stumble across this the other day:

Screen capture and sharing from QuickTime...

I've not tried it, but heck, might be worth a shot if you've got no other option.

Also ScreenFlow (http://www.telestream.net/screen-flow/overview.htm) is free if you want to put up with their watermark...

27. thellama

thellama

@cupsster, thanks for the tip but I already looked into that. He uses the HeatDistort shader from the detonator explosion package. The problem with this shader is that particle fading doesn't work. The particles either exist or they don't. This works in some case, quick particle effects but fading it just looks bad. I'm thinking blood effects, stone chunks etc. I'm looking to add more life to the particles without destroying the natural fading.

So far no luck with this, I won't waste to much time on it, but if I can figure it out I'll release it to the community.

28. 3dDude

3dDude

Hmm the link for the video says its private?

Yeah I might try to position the fires to the left and right of the watermark ;)

29. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Whoops... Can you not see it. I don't use that channel much.

30. 3dDude

3dDude

I dont know.. It just "says sorry this video is private!"

31. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I just checked and it was set to private (???) not sure why. It's public now. (^_^)!

The joke of using a screen capture app to show a screen capture app is a bit defeated if no one can see it.

Oh dear.

32. 3dDude

3dDude

Edit:

Was that some kind of quicktime addOn?
    Where did you get that!?! ;)

Ahhhh thanks!

Ok here is my crappy movie made in demo of screen flow ;)

It has really low frameRate and low quality and a waterMark...

They look MUCH better inEditor!

Enjoy(hopefully)!

33. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

That's really nice looking stuff! Are they just Unity particles? Nice job!

34. 3dDude

3dDude

Thanks!

Yep, no scripts or anything.. pure art ;)

Edit:

Remember to give the video a thumbs up!! ;)

35. MrSmive

MrSmive

Some super low poly guns for "Onslaught of the Laser Cat" game, about 6,900 for all 10 average out at about 400 a gun par the 3 multiply barred ones. Just a simple bump spec mat and ss from the unity mesh preview window thing.
    Compiled in Photo-shop added a dark border and cropped to fit but other than that there rawr screen shots.

36. ExB

ExB

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  37. Mr.kylle

Mr.kylle

I'm working on new Male Character.

38. wrm186

wrm186

Not to really do anything with this thread, but I use WeGame. To me it's a pretty decent game recorder. I'm not sure if it's available for mac or not, but you can check it out here: http://www.wegame.com/

39. celinscak

celinscak

It's a FP space shooter with almost real space physics in an asteroid field. People testing it (once and briefly) had a hard time getting to control the ship, but I'm sure when players get used to it, it will be fun to play.

What's done:

Movement keyboard/mouse
    Targeting
    Auto aiming (predicts the target's position in the moment of impact and fires to that point)
    Target info GUI (follows target on the screen)
    Target pointer
    Pointer GUI (changing depending on a weapon selected and other conditions)
    Weapons (bullets, energy bolts, homing missiles, magnetic mines)
    Sistem that enables/disables weapons depending on a target status (is it in range, is it in front of the player, behind an asteroid... etc.)
    3D Radar (turned off on the screenshot so you can't see it :p )
    Shields/health and other ++/-- stuff for Player and NPCs
    AI for two types of enemies (and a fixed turret of course) - NPC follows player, avoids asteroids and each has a simple tactic for attacking, depending on the weapons it carries. The same AI is currently used for friendly units, but wingmen should get their own AI in time.
    Some sound effects borrowed from free sites.

What to do:

Well, I'm planning a lot, but since I'm working on this alone, and been working on it for moths now on my spare time, don't know what tempo will the progress have. The things this game certanly needs and are planned to do first are:

More objects like mining facilities, artefacts and stuff
    An awesome HUD
    A skybox (this one is borrowed)
    At least one more type of enemy and one capital ship
    Wingmen
    Input manager menu (currently controls are only good for standard PC keyboards and a mouse with at least three mouse buttons)
    A tutorial level
    A demo level with a mission
    Occlusion culling
    Some minor code optimising
    An Ace

The game is being done in a free version of Unity. I hope it will see the Showcase section in the next two months.

I want to thank all the users of this forum that helped me in any way in producing this game and learning Unity.

Attached Files:

40. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

There is no hope. Do...or do not. [/yoda]

Seriously, your game looks great, though! Good luck on getting that project done! I don't know about you, but for some reason it just seems easier to make shooters in Unity than most other game engines...

41. celinscak

celinscak

@ Asvarduil: Wouldn't know. This is the first game engine I ever used. The best thing so far about Unity, to me, is not it's simplicity but rather this community, support amongst users and a growing database of tutorials and solutions. Most of my game was done in the past 20 days thanks to the free time I had and this forum which enabled me to learn very fast. So, shooters, platformers, weird artsy-fartsy reels... Everything is easier if there's someone willing to help.

Btw, been stalking on your Laser Cats. The idea is very good. Can't wait for more weapons ;)

42. Acumen

Acumen

I worked on the second course environment for the minigolf game. Wanted to make this a lot more modular. Much heavier on the polycount of course, but it's just for fun. I don't know if this ever gets anywhere. Lots of experience gained in working in profitshared environment, yet all the projects are on hold now. Total bummer, but I should've known better. Current project is a Geometry Wars inspired game. We'll see how that one goes in the next days ;)
    Kinda sad to see everyone disappear. I just need to make sure to not send the original art until I get a build of the games :D

Anyways, enough yadayada, beige-blue-stoney-course on his way:

43. Arowx

Arowx

44. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Acumen - I like the modular course, it looks great!

45. Acumen

Acumen

Arowx, great game for a great cause. Nicely done !

hey, thanks, Asvarduil ! It was really worth fiddling around a little longer, now I can quickly hunkle dunkle around and come up with new courses in no time at all ^^
    Also I still wasn't feeling the whole empty track, so I figured that the obstacles should be a bit more interesting, yet simple in color choice. Here's what I came up with:

46. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Snazzy. AO mapping on the track and windmill?

I'm building the levels in Laser Cat using a modular setup as well. I think it just makes sense for man-made structures - not to mention that it's too easy to do.

47. MrSmive

MrSmive

only for interior spaces, modular is real hard when using a sand box methord lolz.

Nice levels mate, Cancer wars.... cant say enough good things about that, and any other work i forgot to mention, tiss all looking great.

48. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

@Arowx - I know its beta and all, but the splash screen has a couple typos. Technology and taking are misspelled that I noticed. :)

49. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

celinscak, would you mind helping me along on my project? Its a space shooter as well, and I'm having a hard time figuring out the AI, got any tips on logic for space combat?

50. celinscak

celinscak

@ ScienceFictionado: PM me and I'll se what I can do ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.