Search Unity

What Are You Working On

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by cupsster, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellcaller

hellcaller

Implressive work dogzerx any tips on your texturing technik ?

2. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Not sure if I can give general tips, I can tell you what I do! I mostly use a lot of reference pics to guide myself. Plus I'm self taught so there's a lot of stuff pros probably wouldn't do!
    I start by painting the base color of everything, and then I start shading it with a big soft brush, kind of like fake lighting.
    You can use real images as a mask to give it a little realism, things like leather or scratchy metal can be achieved easily by applying one or more layers of colors masked with a texture. Or you can even apply the texture itself, if it's too hard to do by hand!
    Then I darken places where shadows should go, cavities and also intersections.
    Also I try to work on the edges, especially with things like metal or leather, because they get worn more there.
    And finally I work on the little details, like clothe seams, face, etc.
    Hope that helped, or at least made sense! I'm not even that organized, I learn as I go, sometimes I change my workflow in the middle of a character, and I have to do a second pass to fix what can be improved!

3. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Awesome work dogzerx!

Working on a brazier model(no textures):

-205 Polys.

Any suggestions on how I can improve this model(I want to make it commercial quality,maybe making a pack of these stuff and sell it on the Asset Store).Also should I go with a 512x512 or 1024x1024 texture?
    One more question.
    Should I leave the model ,,blocky as it is" or should I use smoothing groups(mainly in the middle part of it).

Here a visual comparison of the 2 versions:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  4. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

Yes, sort of like that. It will be a big asset package.

5. ivanzu

ivanzu

Doing a new head its still WIP but I would like to get some help about anatomy.
    $face wip.png

6. janpec

janpec

Ivanzu i would strongly suggest you to learn topology and do faces with retopology instead with modeling. So what you do is get some references and sculpt some high poly head and then do retopology. I hope that you have 3d coat or Topogun, which fits the best for it. I am speaking from personal experiance, i always had problems with retopology when modeling organic models in max, but once you do reverse workflow (sculpt-retopo) it gives much better results not just in topology but also in normal map. Thats my two cents.

You have arround 3 or 4 unnecesary loops in cheeks area, and arround eyes on upper area there should be at least one more if not two more loops. Also eyes area should be much more pushed towards inside.

7. uchiha007

uchiha007

Thanks a bunch for the comment. I'm not sure if mines is efficient or the right way, but it gets the job done lol. What I did was quite simple. First I made the climbing script, which makes the character move up and play the animation at the same time. While the animation is playing, I set the state of the character to climbing. Then, I created an empty game object and place it a little over the head and used raycast on it so that it detects whether there is a collider in front of it or not. So, here was my theory that worked, if the character is climbing and its character state is climbing and if there is no collider in front(detected sing raycast), then play the ledge grabing animation and disable any script that changes the current Vector3.

I tried to explain as best as possible, so I hope it helps =].

8. ivanzu

ivanzu

I was thinking to do the same thing but its hard with sculptris and blender sculpting tool .

9. gioworks

gioworks

Doin' art for my tower defence game

Ninja Cat WIP -BLENDER

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also im looking for good texturing education, suggest me something please :)

10. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

11. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I agree... I started out the same way when I learned character modelling with the painfully tedious cutting and extruding of faces... and Zbrush has saved my life in this regard... and when you model it in a 3d app, you will be fighting to get detail in Zbrush or any sculpting app... especially with the new dynamic tessellation inside of Zbrush and sculptris (which is free BTW) so I would def listen to Janpec and get some references and get a 3D sculpting app.. I've been using Zbrush in nearly 95% percent of my designs and haven't looked back... and it definitely helps when you need seamless textures. And with retopology, every detail you make can be automatically transferred to the new model :) :)

And here is a new render of this old man... he still thinks he is young LOL... still cranking on the outfit

12. ivanzu

ivanzu

Well my problem is that I'm not good at sculpting unless its for baking normal map on non-organic stuff.I don't know how I will get accurate shape of head in sculpting app. without images.
    EDIT
    Just remembered that I can put background images in blender and then sculpt in blender XD:

13. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Zbrush does have an image plane set up in the program... you can also map the images on planes and import them into zbrush...

14. janpec

janpec

Cow says MU.

15. ivanzu

ivanzu

I say MUu

16. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Mooooooo.... that is one lovely bovine...

17. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

What's the poly count on that bovine over there?

18. dr.steam

dr.steam

19. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Dude get on SKYPE!

20. janpec

janpec

Dr.steam please stop....you are making my thirst for Hobbit movie even bigger! Damn cant wait for that movie to come out. I bet 100 euros that movie will gather at least 5 oscars.

Rab236 polycount on cow is 1330.

21. ivanzu

ivanzu

Could you show a wireframe,so I can study the anatomy of your animals?

22. dr.steam

dr.steam

Can't wait too. But I'm let down cause I wasn't given the chance to work on it, even as a "go and fetch" kind of a guy. So I cry...my last chance to make appearance in a LoTR movie! There's nothing for me but to choke myself on teddy jellies...Your animals rock, especially tiger, great texture work.

23. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Why I love Unity:

A few hours each night for two nights and another little prototype! Wow is it fast.

24. jujunosuke

jujunosuke

@Little Angel Yes, Unity is very nice to build up prototypes very fast.
    Looks like a good start !

@janpec
    Janpec, i have looked a lot of your models since now and i am amazed by the polycount/quality ratio. Very good job !
    May you explain a little bit about your workflow ? Where do you find your textures, how do you create your normal map etc ?

25. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

26. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

Nice! i like it so far, mmo or small rpg co-op?
    also:
    ca·lam·i·ty/kəˈlamitē/
    Noun:

An event causing great and often sudden damage or distress; a disaster.
    Disaster and distress.

27. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Thats right :)
    The name will make sense one day. Its not a huge mmo but its not really a co-op either. I'm sure i will add limits soon.

28. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

For me, it's the cloak that really makes it for me! (^_^)!

Multiplayer? What solution did you use for multiplayer content?

29. janpec

janpec

Dude, there is one more movie comming out in 2013, maybe you will have chance there:D I would suggest that someone resurects J.R.R Tolkien to writte one or two addtitional books. Jackson has just runed out of books, what a shame.

Sure. Here ya go. I will post topo of new animal next time.

Thx. Workflow: 1.Zbrush Zspheres basic model, 2. Mudbox hi-ress sculpt, 3. Baking all maps, 4. Mudbox texturing.
    Textures are hand drawn+photo source, depending on animal. For example cow is all hand drawn texture and i just overlayed on top of main texture one fur layer that i hand painted in photoshop to make fur details.

30. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Note that Janpec, lovable as he is, refuses to ever post tri count like the rest of the game industry when someone is referring to poly count in a game model. So in Unity that cow would be at least 2660.

31. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I love the mooing cow! Janpec's animals are super realistic!

32. Acumen

Acumen

haha, so true. Glad somone else noticed that, too ;)
    *sharesmanhugs*

33. ivanzu

ivanzu

Bought a tablet,so did some hand-painted textures.
    $render.png

34. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

No offense, Ivanzu, but that texture kind of just looks like a blurry brown cloud. I'd try to make it look more like something like this:

35. ivanzu

ivanzu

Yeah that's what I was trying to do but couldn't find any reference image.

36. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

37. janpec

janpec

Ivanzu which tablet did you get?

38. ivanzu

ivanzu

Genius MousePen i608X 8"x6",works good I don't know why is everybody saying that they have problems with them.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  39. wrm186

wrm186

Just switched from Blender 2.4b to Blender 2.6 today, tried getting used to it by making an Ipod touch. So far I cant find out how to "center new" and how to "deselect" in box select. Also I hate how long it takes to render, even if the poly count is low... (well takes long on my computer anyway) :D

Here it is:

40. gioworks

gioworks

WIP TD GAME*
    Using SongTan TDTK

Im learning Blender...It is quite easy tool.

41. tchpowdog

tchpowdog

looks nice Wade!

42. janpec

janpec

War elephant. Strongest unit in game. This is bare version, there will be armour added separatly for costumisation reasons. Normal elephant will handle 1 soldier on top of it, while elite elphant will be able to handle deck with up to 4 archers.

43. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Wade. Center New has moved. Google it and you'll find it. But yes, the one annoying change after bevel edges being unavailable.

44. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Kick ass elephant...and superb use of geometry... how are you doing the wireframes?

45. Xantec

Xantec

Obviously still needs some work. Tips are greatly appreciated.

46. ivanzu

ivanzu

Very good tower defense game I like the way tress look.

47. marcos

marcos

Man, you're inspiring me to make some kind of animal!
    I need to shake the sculpting rust off, incoming horse! haha

48. synok

synok

Just working on some lightning tests. My cousin owns WarpZone Entertainment, if you wonder. :)

http://youtu.be/2_FJHBISoZo

He might look a bit stiff, but I kind of rushed this a bit so no animations today, sorry.

49. karl_

karl_

Still chugging away at the new TileMap editor for SimpleSprite. This week I added in Hotkeys for rotating the tile in placement mode, collisions w/ configurable bounds, a tag editor, as well as an option for setting the depth.

larger image

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  50. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

suspect janpec uses topogun or something similar for topology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
unityunity