Search Unity

What are you currently using for saving code snippets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Amon, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amon

Amon

What are you guys currently using to save code snippets? What do you recommend?

Ta!

2. FMark92

FMark92

Currently not saving any snippets. Is there value in it?

xVergilx and angrypenguin like this.
  3. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

Not sure about the value in this. If you are talking about sharing code with co workers well I just put it in slack as a snippet. If you are talking about finding old code I wrote that is useful for new projects, I will just grab it right from the Git or P4 repo.

4. Amon

Amon

Well, it's like taking small notes to remind you of something. The value in it is time. I'd rather add code snippets I saved which worked well in another projects to a new one without the need to code it all again. Boilerplate code snippets save an exceptional amount of time.

5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

SnippetsLab. It is one of my favorite utility apps

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Dropbox.

7. wccrawford

wccrawford

Why create a github repo of the snippets and share them with others?

Amon likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

9. landon912

landon912

10. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

I use git's gists.

11. N1warhead

N1warhead

Is it bad I want to share my asset store product based thoroughly on snippet management?
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/snippet-manager-70396

lol....
    It's quite cool actually, even if you uninstall Unity and reinstall a new version, so long as Snippet Manager is in it, it will still find your saved snippets. So you can use it cross-projects, new projects, old projects, etc.

But it's not to be considered a proper IDE obviously, it's mainly good for pasting and copying snippets and nothing more.
    I wouldn't type in it, unless basic stuff, because it's just a place to store them for create new snippets by pressing new and pasting and press save.

Keep in mind, only tested on Windows (as the page says), you may or may not have to run Unity with Admin privileges because it stores the Snippets in the Unity Directory (so it's not just some random folder hidden somewhere).
    Of course you can just look at the code to make sure it's not intrusive before running any admin stuff on Unity- which it's not. Also note I haven't yet had a chance to try it on newer versions of Unity yet, been quite busy working on my game.

So if you have any problems (if you get it) feel free to shoot me a message or email and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. But again - not testing on anything other than Windows. I never owned a mac and haven't used Linux enough to say I know what I'm doing, so can't test much there.

12. Meltdown

Meltdown

Resharper's live templates

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.