Search Unity

What are the steps to implementing a Log In screen for game app.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by LDPham, Jul 21, 2019.

1. LDPham

LDPham

Hi, Im very new to game developing and is creating a simple 2D Game. I want to have a log in screen so each player would have there own character/ players information. What is require to do so and do I need a game server ?

2. MrsPiggy

MrsPiggy

Yes, at the very minimum you will need a web-server with some custom code to receive the username/password from the client and verify it against some datasource, typically a database.
    A game server would be even better as you can keep all the server side (if your game requires it) in the same place.
    I am mostly familiar with SmartFoxServer as a multiplayer platform: they offer a convenient way to integrate a database and create your own login system, which is also encrypted by default, so you don't have to worry about security.

If you're using a web-server make sure to buy an SSL certificate to encrypt the traffic.

3. LDPham

LDPham

Does SmartFoxServer provide with an SSL also ? Which do one do you suggest using to use for less complications ?

4. MrsPiggy

MrsPiggy

If you add a valid SSL certificate yes. In any case SmartFox protects your login passwords regardless, even if you haven't installed a certificate.
    Is your game multiplayer? If so SmartFox would certainly be an option to look into, but you only mentioned a login screen. If that's the only "online" requirement then a web-based script would also do the trick.

5. LDPham

LDPham

Yes a log in for each player to enter their name and email information. and The game is actually not mulitplayer. But i would to create like a head to heads up match making type of game. Have the game update stats like Leaderboard and where theyre rank at.

6. LDPham

LDPham

Thanks Ill look into web-based script!