Search Unity

What are the skills required to develop a game for mobile market?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by rogersands, Apr 3, 2015.

1. rogersands

rogersands

Hi there

I am beginner in game development (But not in programming.I have 3+ years experience in Java).Now I want to make a game for mobile market.I want to know what are the skills require and how and where I could start learning those skills?

Like(Audio,Graphics,Animation,Programing and others)

Thanks

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Make a game
    Launch it on mobile
    Repeat

You'll quickly realise what you don't know.

Landern and paul81 like this.
  3. Ness

Ness

You can buy everything you lack skills in on asset store. You can definitely skip audio and animation production, but having some graphics knowledge would help. As for learning graphics it is more software driven process, so google for example intorduction to Blender.

4. rogersands

rogersands

@Ness @BoredMormon

Thanks for reply

So I have a idea of FPS game with some mission charcter to acheive.Would Unity be sufficient for this .I mean for all aspect like animation,audio,graphics,programming.Or do I need to learn other different technology for that

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Typically you would build art assets in some other software. For a 3D game you would typically use something like Maya, 3D max or blender.

6. rogersands

rogersands

Ok Apart from art assets Do i need any other software for game development other than Unity?

7. rogersands

rogersands

and what are the hardware requirements for game development system in unity?

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

9. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Ok coming from java is a decent starting point, it's similar to c# in many ways. Now like said above start working on something.

I wouldn't say make an fps, unless you stick to fairly basic gameplay and art expectations, only because you might run out of steam real quick trying to make something complex.

Maybe start with copying simple 2d old school games. Make asteroids, joust, pacman. Something simple so you can learn the work flow of unity, and familiarize yourself with c#.

Once you tackle a couple few simple games, try some harder stuff. Disect popular addons/plugins/examples. Get an idea of what "good" code should be in unity, then experiment. It takes time, and plenty of trial and error to get something done like a AAA fps, but that's not to say it can't be done. Maybe find a solid team who can help, or you might be ten years older when it's done haha.

Good luck!

10. rogersands

rogersands

Thanks for reply

But for a 3d game it is necessary to purchase maya,3dmax(they are costly for me at this time) is there any alterative tool that can help in making 3d assets freeware is ok.(once i get profit from my game I am ready to pay some percentage to them)

Thanks

11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Blender is free.

12. rogersands

rogersands

Can I design all aspect using blender like I need weapon,backgrounds(trees,oceans,different charcters&customs,)

I am also planning to design some big monster that are in my mind is this all is possible using unity and blender or I need any other tools for it?

13. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Yeah blender can do pretty much everything you need in 3d modeling. There are plenty tutorials online, and it's royalty free and free to download as well.

14. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Just start already. You'll find gaps as you go.

Like you'll probably want Gimp or photoshop I build textures. And there are hindered a of little tools that make the job easier.

15. rogersands

rogersands

What about unity?unity is free or paid?

Any link that will explain this would be nice

for designing a game for android.do i need to follow standard guidelines for coding.or I can design it on my own?

16. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Unity is free until you make 100 k. Following conventions helps, but it's not strictly needed.

17. rogersands

rogersands

where to start designing 3d games for android?

this is my first game.Do I need to purchase unity?.If I will make something then obviously I will put it on sale.

18. namanrajpal

namanrajpal

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

or you could just not and say you did and noone would realize either, I mean you know you could let the games that aren't poops be on a shelf with less poop, just an option - as someone who has some poop games

you are literally hosed if you can't even look up the pricing model of your own GAME ENGINE