Search Unity

What are the rules for Asset Store reviews?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by atmuc, Feb 9, 2021.

1. atmuc

atmuc

My review is removed from the asset store because the publisher requested it to be removed from Unity. It was so polite review. I always move asset files to Standard Assets folder. I am Unity Pro license owner since 2011. So far I have 1032 assets from the asset store and I have no problem moving files except the asset I reviewed. I am not the only one that gave 1 star to this asset. That asset uses EditorGUIUtility.LoadRequired and after I move files I get tons of errors and my project becomes unusable for me. So it was a personal review. When I edit the source code it starts working. I mentioned that to the publisher. He insists on using EditorGUIUtility.LoadRequired and he said he does the correct thing. Then I wrote my review. After my review removed, I rewrote my review with the error I get. The publisher responded with a warning that Unity will remove it again.

Can't we write personal reviews to Asset Store?

Why Unity removes reviews without any comment or asking the review owner's comment? I have no notification about that removal. The publisher sent me a private message saying he managed to remove my review.

If I cannot review a paid asset, explaining my problems in polite words, Why should I review?

VertexRage, Marks4 and Recon03 like this.
  2. Recon03

Recon03

Only time I seen reviews removed if there where not related to the asset itself and just a rant. But if Unity is removing reviews like Ebay and a few others, just to protect the developer, in my opinion that is flat out wrong... I personally don't trust Unity reviews, if you ever notice if you ever 4 star, or lower, you get nailed by Fan boys of an asset who NEVER made a game in there life....So they will bomb you with low ratings.... Same with many 5 star reviews, many are just nonsense and just fan boys... So, take it with a grain of salt...if I where you I would contact Unity on them removing your review to see what is the issue and just re-apply it if it did not break any Rules of Unity forums, or ask for the rules for reviews....and be sure you aren't breaking any... This is why I slowed down with Unity, to many kids here and folks who are not in the real world and just don't understand...I been a professional developer since 1990's and get sick of that behavior with Unity as a whole, it makes other professionals leave.. ( I have used other game engines for decades... Anyways that is what I would do, ATMUC. You been here awhile, I started here prolly 15 years back, i'm surprised you have not seen any of this your self yet. Unless you had.,

VertexRage likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

It seems that using EditorGUIUtility.LoadRequired requires that the asset content is placed in a specific place in the project files so that it can work correctly; in that case, you just cannot move them; you'll have to live with it : https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/EditorGUIUtility.LoadRequired.html

Did you move other assets using EditorGUIUtility.LoadRequired before without causing havoc in your project?

4. atmuc

atmuc

After my review removed, I had submitted a new review showing errors I get at Unity Editor. It is removed too without any comment. Instead, the publisher takes an effort to solve that error, he took the effort to remove my 2 reviews. I accept that it does not worth spending time writing low-rated reviews. Unity is the owner of the asset store and forum, so they can rule the galaxy :) Informing removal reason should be nice. Anyway, no more wasting time while coding waits for me :) Lazy eye ( Amblyopia) patients wait for me to develop my treatment system. Priorities are important.

5. Rowlan

Rowlan

These are the rules:

- Using offensive language
    - Discussing topics Irrelevant to the package in question
    - In violation to any other general prohibitions of Unity's Website and Communities Terms

But I got several of my reviews removed which didn't violate anything, as even confirmed by the asset store support after I complained. If it's a favored publisher, your review will be removed either way, no matter if it's valid or not.

Another example: I reported a review last week which was only about a publisher, not about the asset. This is Unity's reply:
    But then again, Unity even removed a free asset I created. Even their legal team said my asset is valid after I complained. So, Unity isn't a fair place. That basically boils it down.