Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the major benefits of JSONUtility usage?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by jeremy_crowell, Sep 16, 2018.

1. jeremy_crowell

jeremy_crowell

Hello,

If I have a bunch of game items, let's say 60 items with different properties(e.g. weight, color, sound and etc) do I need to save them in json or I can keep them in array without serialization?

What benefit I will get if I save array of 60 objects in json? I suppose it's just a question of space, right?

Thank you in advance

2. GroZZleR

GroZZleR

If you're not saving and loading them, there's little difference. At some point you're going to have to turn the data into "real" objects anyways.

jeremy_crowell likes this.
  3. rakkarage

rakkarage

4. jeremy_crowell

jeremy_crowell

Yap, just came across this situation a little bit later after I posted the question. Without serialization I can't save and load them. Thanks for your confirmation.

5. jeremy_crowell

jeremy_crowell

Update. I didn't know that unity doesn't support serialization of array. It's really weird. Such a big engine and I need to use external class to serialize my array of custom objects.

rakkarage likes this.