Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the expected deliverables for a UI/UX artist to a Unity developer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KaraZee, Mar 10, 2022.

1. KaraZee

KaraZee

I am creating my first mobile game and about to hire a UI/UX artist and I want to know what to tell them are the expected deliverables?
    1. Does the unity developer just recreate the design from mockups? Or is there a way to import the mockups in figma or some other design tool into unity?
    2. What format should the fonts be in?
    3. What formats should the buttons be in?

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

1. Generally speaking, if you're working in UI in Unity, you're going to have to mock up all your designs in the editor itself and have at least some degree of familiarity with the event system and UI functionality unless you're using a third party library like NoesisGUI (which is unlikely). Unity doesn't really have any decent import tools for UGUI or UIElements to work with external software
    2. Font types supported are ttf and otf and, more likely than not, you'll be using the TextMeshPro package to generate SDF assets from these to use them if you don't want fonts to look like janky, poorly aliased messes. I imagine that sooner rather than later TextMeshPro will be replacing the default Text functionality
    3. You'll be importing button graphics as sprites, so PNG, same as the majority of other assets
    If you're familiar with any actual UI toolsets from other industries (or even in games) all I can really say is "I'm sorry for what you're about to deal with."

3. KaraZee

KaraZee

The UI people I am hiring have no experience in Unity and will be doing mock ups in Figma

4. neginfinity

neginfinity

That does not sound like a good idea, unless you already have a functional pipeline for figma in unity.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. Voronoi

Voronoi

Who is going to build the UI in Unity? A typical workflow is the interfaces are provided by the UI/UX people as a Photoshop file. The person making the UI in Unity will try to match the comp, typically by copying the layout elements (buttons) into a large POW of 2 sprite sheet and building that out in the Unity editor. They also need to know how to hook up the UI to the code.

A non-Unity designer would be miserable and unable to build the UI itself in Unity. It's just unlike any other interface system and not very intuitive. Heck, just deciding on which Unity UI system to use is not a trivial task and requires knowledge of the engine and project scope.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    Ryiah and neginfinity like this.