Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the best tutorials for people new to Unity 2019?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PeterCym, May 7, 2019.

1. PeterCym

PeterCym

I'm teaching myself Unity and C# from scratch, and I keep finding great tutorials that only work for 2017. Where can I find good, up-to-date tutorials?

As for myself, I know programming theory (somewhat), but this thread is for any tutorial that's useful/applicable to 2019.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity 2019 is entirely too new for tutorials to have been made for it, and I wouldn't expect that to change for at least a month. For now the latest tutorials will be the ones made for Unity 2018. That said though the differences between two consecutive years (2018 & 2019) tend to be minor with the biggest changes being hidden inside packages (eg LWRP).

If you need help with any tutorial problems just create a thread (Getting Started has most of those who help beginners).

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

It is recommended to run tutorials on the same Unity version in which they were created for. Tutorials made within the last few years will generally be entirely useful content for use in the latest versions. The issue is there may be small changes which for someone even with minimal experience would be able to quickly resolve without issue, but for someone with no experience these can be monumental hurdles or even outright blockers.

A minor API change, or a simple change to default behavior. For example, the latest Unity versions now set the default for the resolution dialog you can use for standalone builds to disabled. A tutorial for an older version of Unity which uses it might now show you were to enable it, and this would be extremely frustrating when a dialog window the tutorial says will pop up simply does not. But someone who has used Unity for a few months will likely already know where to enable/disable this setting on their own.

Ryiah, Antypodish and PeterCym like this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Honestly grab one of the LTS versions for learning. (2017.4 or 2018.3). That's where I make most of my tutorials. Very few people create beginner level tutorials for anything in between. The engine changes so fast that its simply not worth the effort.

Also with a non LTS version you are likely to hit version specific bugs. This is okay for an experienced dev who can figure out work arounds. But when you are learning you want to focus on your own code and bugs, not engine quirks.

5. Zo_ey

Zo_ey

This is useful. Thank you.