Search Unity

What are some tips?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by xBADBEALx, Jan 1, 2023.

1. xBADBEALx

xBADBEALx

This is my first time trying to make a game so I was looking to see if anyone could give me some advice. My friend was saying how he wanted more train based games not like Train Sim but more like Choo Choo Charles and so I'm trying to do something similar with the train aspect but bigger, so if anyone has any tips could you please tell me some?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I think that's too vague to get any good tips. To get specific answers, you need to ask specific questions.

I'll throw out a few general tips anyway:
    • Buy and use Script Inspector 3. It's awesome.
    • Code a little, test a little. Don't write a whole bunch of code and then test it.
    • Break big, complex problems down into smaller, simpler problems, and then tackle those one at a time.
    • When you run into problems, ask specific questions here. Use the "Insert Code" button in the toolbar to properly format your code.
    Good luck!

3. AngryProgrammer

AngryProgrammer

You can do a lot in Unity. The truth is, it doesn't just happen by itself.

The question is in the Getting Started section, so I assume you're at the very beginning. I give my advice based on the fact that I am a programmer professionally, and I get to know Unity as a hobby.
    1. If you set a goal, you need to realistically look at the time it takes to achieve it. You need to specify a time frame in which you close certain sections of work. Is my project realistic to close in a month, a year or five years?
    2. Creating each project (not only Unity), e.g. for studies, at work... you start by familiarizing yourself with the tools and techniques you will use and defining the goal. It's better to spend a while to familiarize yourself with at least the basic operation, e.g. learn keyboard shortcuts to manipulate elements on the scene. Learn the basic concept of Unity, game objects, components. How it all fits together.
    3. Learn the basics of C# programming. At some point sooner or later you will have to script something.
    4. Try and learn from your failures.
    5. Start with a small project.
    From what I can see the title you want to create is overpowering. I would not undertake it myself, despite years of programming experience and the fact that I already know something in Unity. For me, it's a project in the time category of a year or more.