Search Unity

Question What are some resources to understand Shader Graph terms and concepts more clearly?

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by TheWhispers, Nov 21, 2020.

1. TheWhispers

TheWhispers

What are some resources to understand Shader Graph terms and concepts more clearly?

I'm very technically knowledgeable but shaders and the concepts and the terms used in the graph/development are unknown to me. I have at least intermediate graphic design experience and some of these concepts sound familiar, and I haven't actually messed with graph yet, but is there a resource to learn this stuff thoroughly or is it purely individual experimentation to get the desired result?

Thanks guys.

2. Olmi

Olmi

Hi and welcome,

First I think it's good to understand how shaders work, so check some of the numerous tutorials out there in Youtube and on the web in either video or text format.

To understand Shader Graph, why not go directly to the manual?
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.shadergraph@6.9/manual/Getting-Started.html

After you have learned the basic concepts, I think there's a lot that requires experimentation to really understand how you could do certain things and how things are usually done in shaders. And there's the component of math. And it's very useful to always first look for existing solutions, so that you don't waste time by trying to reinvent the wheel.

3. TheWhispers

TheWhispers

Perfect! Thanks for you time.

4. TheWhispers

TheWhispers

Really old Shader Graph intro, but after watching this I'm completely ready to dive in and begin experimenting!