Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 beta is now available.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for insight from anyone who has experience with game testing to help us better Unity. Take our survey here. If chosen to participate you'll be entered into a sweepstake to win an Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

What are different methods for map design?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by theblacklime, Feb 6, 2019.

1. theblacklime

theblacklime

I've been using unity for a while now
    As i continue, I have found myself in a bit of a conundrum: making a map.

Now, I have already learned about the terrain editor that unity provides and I was actually using Maya to create realistic mountains using height maps (I like the Maya tools a little more than unity's). And then I transfer them into unity and using Object2Terrain. It works and it does exactly what I want it to do, but I feel as if the terrain editor has a lot of limitations to it and im missing a lot of different ways I can improve in map design.

What are different methods for map design? The map im trying to create isn't extremely big, but it is large (about the size of 4 football fields). It's suppose to replicate the environment in the mountains.

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Asset Store exists to provide tools that Unity doesn't provide by default. Take a look at Gaia and World Creator.