Search Unity

What are all parameters that come with custom events?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by helgrind21, Jun 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helgrind21

helgrind21

Hello,

I am trying to use Unity Analytics custom events to collect some data from the players. I couldn't find in the documentation what are the "extra" parameters attached to the custom events. If I populate all 10 parameters of the event, would the data entry(raw data) in the analytics still have the user ID? What other parameters are provided other than the 10 I select? Is there a way to collect the playout ID on my custom event?

Thanks for the help!

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

10 parameters is the maximum limit, you should generally not send that many. So you know, the UserID is never collected. You can create whatever parameters you want for your custom events, here is an example that uses "potions" and "coins" but you could name the parameters anything you want https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Analytics.Analytics.CustomEvent.html

3. helgrind21

helgrind21

Thank you for the reply! So how do I differentiate a custom event from one user to the other? Is there a way to include the user ID and playout ID?

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

What is a playout ID? Why do you need to track per user information? You will need to mention this in your user privacy statement when you publish to the stores. You can send anything you want in your parameters, including a user ID. But keep in mind that you'll need Raw Data Export (a Pro-only license feature) in order to view the data, we only provide aggregated information in the Dashboard https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsRawDataExport.html

5. helgrind21

helgrind21

I should refer to it as session ID instead of playout ID, sorry. I will need it in order to know if the data collected is from the first time playing, second time or third. Thats why I would like to know if the custom event only takes the 10 parameters that I set or it also includes others. For example, once I download it, will the raw data have more information than the parameters set on the custom event? Will each standard/custom event appear as a table?
    I'm building a game to do a research study. It will not be published in the stores. I'm planing to distribute it on my own website. Also, I'm adding consent forms approved by my university ethical committee, so I believe it will be alright.
    I'm planning to subscribe to a Pro license so I can download the data collected and work with it on my way.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You can only pass 10 parameters in a Custom Event, and that's a lot! If you don't include a parameter, the custom event won't send it. There are no "standard parameters" with custom events, only the ones you write. I would suggest that you test by sending a few sample events and wait to see them on your dashboard (takes 8-16 hours)

7. helgrind21

helgrind21

Thank you very much for the reply! I did the test and when I did the raw data export. You were right, only the information that I sent on the custom event was on the dashboard. But, there were way more information when I did the raw data export for the custom event. I've found the unity documentation that specifies everything that is exported from raw data, case someone would like to know.

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I already linked to that site previously but thanks.

helgrind21 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.