Search Unity

What approach should I take for a 3d arena fighting game?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by metaljaguar, Jun 25, 2018.

1. metaljaguar

metaljaguar

Hi everyone, I'm here to ask a question about what would be the best approach for a 3d fighting arena that holds up to 4 players. A best example of this would be Power Stone 2. I loved the fighting mechanic and I've never seen any other game since then. So I'm hoping you guys might know something about this genre especially the a.i. bots. How should I go about this. Because that game was pretty fun.

2. verybinary

verybinary

start off with one or two characters, and single player, and a small handful or arenas.
    get your movement, cameras, and attacks on point.
    do more characters
    do more players
    do more levels

3. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

I agree: movement and camera should be first priority. You want to make sure that your space is fluid to move around. Games like that are all about tight controls, so you as the developer should feel like you can implement pixel-perfect jumps.

4. metaljaguar

metaljaguar

Ok thank you for the advice.

5. metaljaguar

metaljaguar

Ok so I should focus more on camera and movement before anything else understood. I'm not sure what are pixel perfect jumps but I think I know what you mean.

6. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

In your spare time: :D
    Sketch out some ideas, of the arena enviroments, items
    and battle items, that you'll want in your game.

Doing that, could help you get a better idea, or vision, of what you'll need
    to make your game, and what/how you'll need to program.

As the programmer of Bayonetta 2 said in an interview:
    "Without the artwork, a programmer has nothing to work with."
    Or in other words, has no idea of how, or what to program in what way.

That Powerstone game, is a really fun game. :)
    Dreamcast all the way!! :D

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  7. metaljaguar

metaljaguar

Yes indeed true words to follow. ;)
    That game is one of the reasons why I like the Dreamcast. It's a shame Sega no longer makes consoles anymore. But anyway thanks for the suggestion.

8. Dannohawk

Dannohawk

Oh man, I loved Powerstone back in the day. But hated the invincibly power up core mechanic which you know used the actual power stones... We'd purposely never pick up the last stone in multiplayer to make the game more fun.

It was the mayhem of running around and smashing each other up desperately with whatever you have to hand, flower pots, chair legs, random satisfying projectile weapons which made the game perfect for us. And I haven't played this game since it came out and I remember it all quite vividly.

I toyed with the concept of a gladiatorial game. I envisaged rogue like system where you have a random fighter thrown into the pit. Random stats and equipment. Then you fight to survive with the constant threat of instant gory permanent death, slowly upgrading and personalising your character.

I imagined bigger arenas, the fans, the noise, a sort of rags to riches tale. Basically ripping off gladiator and modern rogue likes in 3d arena!