Search Unity

What All the Softwares Do I Need To Make a Basic Game?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by computertech, Feb 18, 2015.

1. computertech

computertech

What is all the softwares do I need to make a basic game?

I think I need Photoshop, C#, Unity3d, Maya and more softwares that I do not know. I have not made any games before but I do know some modelling, some rigging, some texturing, some 3D animation for films. Or is easier to make 2d games first then learn 3d games. But I do not know how to make 2d and 3d games. I also do not know any game audio and game music.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

What is your idea of a basic game? It is entirely feasible to make a game solely with Unity's primitives (cube, sphere, etc), procedurally-generated assets, or assets from the store.

As for the software you listed, Gimp is a good replacement for Photoshop and Blender for Maya. Both are free.

Schneider21 likes this.
  3. computertech

computertech

Wait, can you animate cycles, model, rig, texture all in Unity? I have not downloaded the unity yet.

I am thinking of making a basic 3d character survival game on a lost island or some sort like that if I can.

I rather use Maya and Photoshop because I got used to Maya and Photoshop. I am thinking of making the easiest 3d game or easy 2d game for my portfolio to apply a competitive game development school.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

No, at least not exactly. Procedural generation allows you to create content at runtime, but it isn't the same as using an actual modeller. It is a fairly advanced topic and is typically used to lesser degrees (combining pre-made meshes to form a single bigger mesh versus the entire thing from scratch).

5. Schneider21

Schneider21

In addition to this, there are certain extensions available in the asset store that allow you to model, texture, and possibly rig within Unity, but I think you're much better off just learning Blender, too. For one, there are a ton of tutorials out there for learning Blender, while if you went with a Unity extension you'd be limited to what help the content creator provided. Additionally, even the best extensions can't compare to the amount of control you can get with a dedicated modeling program.

But to go back to your initial question, to make a basic game with Unity, the only thing you really need is Unity itself. Start with the Learning section and do basic stuff like making primitive shapes move around, collide with each other... stuff like that. Don't be afraid to dive into writing some code, too. If you've never written code before, learn!

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

You can make a flappy birds clone with just Unity and paint. Ideally you'd like transparency as well, so add in Photoshop or Gimp.

If you are starting from scratch 2D is much, much easier. Anyone can make passable sprites for a prototype. Making decent models is a skill on its own right.

I would totally suggest building your first game in 2D to get the hang of the editor, before moving onto 3D.

Ryiah and OboShape like this.
  7. OboShape

OboShape

like BoredMormon said, you dont need anything fancy to get a game up and running, sort the mechanics out before catering for the bling :)

for my first couple of learning 2d projects all I had was Paint.NET and Unity, worked for me and I was happy with the results :)

ive been learning for just over a year, and I still wouldnt want to go down the road of learning to model anything, IMO its a distraction from learning how to construct and code a game in unity, so i use the free assests for the time being.

if you need something more tangeable and premade for prototyping, look at the free 2D asset pack from Unity Technologies in the asset store. (used for all the 2D learning tutorial projects)
    also for free 2d sprites you can look at http://opengameart.org/ but check the licences.
    for SFX theres also http://www.superflashbros.net/as3sfxr/ where you can make and safe SFX for free

when you do finally take the plunge into 3D then there are still heaps of 3D assets that are free, again, look at the asset store.

this all leaves you more time to concentrate on learning code, organisation and logic of your game..

8. moynzy

moynzy

If you're a student you can get all the Adobe programs for just £15 a month. The software is really really easy to use, and you can create great affects with sprites, compared to paint.

Maya is free for students as well, steep learning curve though, great for animating. Blender will be your alternative as a 3D modelling program. Great program!