Search Unity

What AI book should I read to be current in AI?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Murgilod

Murgilod

You can't have opinions on facts, mate.

hippocoder likes this.
  2. Antypodish

Antypodish

This particular citation I interpreted as pure joke, to the context. I could not imagine a hinge, this could even be interpreted otherwise.

Hope we are not going take AI seriously in future ;)

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

If AI is smart it will just bide it's time until people wipe themselves out and then go about peacefully taking control. :p

Antypodish likes this.
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Anyway yeah did some thread-bans and generally cleaned up posts where anyone argued with another human being instead of just discussing the topic. Obviously.

5. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

Language translation used to be one of those impossible AI goals. The text above reminds us that, while it's now "Solved", it can still produce unreadable nonsense. I assume the original had some sort of idiom.

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

Yes there was idiom, which could be interpreted differently, based on the rest of content. The major difference so far, between us human and AI, is the interpretation. But is mainly based on experience and individual circumstances.

It is not uncommon, to see some post from time to time, saying "Oh but what I mean was sarcasm", or "...joke", or whatever. We, or AI can interpret that completely different. And specially, when we don't see human face mimic, or body language, which unintentionally can turn nasty.

7. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

I've read 15-20 books on AI the past few years as part of my self study in which I also made 7-8 games using different AI techniques- to start out I'd say the most helpful books are "Programming game AI by Example" followed by "Artificial Intelligence For Games" - also the old "AI Game Programming Wisdom" series is really great- you can find 1-3 on Amazon cheap- they are old but the techniques within are solid and the books are a great resource- I started with those first-

As far as "cutting edge" AI goes and academic ai research- I'm not an expert but from what I've seen and read pursuing that stuff at the start would only confuse you- and most of it is never used in shipping games-

"Simple" techniques like fsm's (and hfsm's), behavior trees, utility theory, and planners will go a long way-

So I'd say skip machine learning, neural networks and genetic algorithms for now and focus on the techniques that are routinely used in shipping games like the ones I listed above which are included in the books I mentioned-

Tzan and Antypodish like this.
  8. ds3427756

ds3427756

Man-made intelligence independent from anyone else is an extremely tremendous and complex subject. I recommend you read the accompanying books to get a thought of AI and how it functions.

1.Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach (extraordinary compared to other books on AI, and incorporated into any course that has AI)

2.Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human Creativity Begins

please read this books which is very important basic information on AI