Search Unity

What about a Custom "Timeline Mode" Scene Context for Timeline Assets

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by AndrewKaninchen, Sep 4, 2018.

1. AndrewKaninchen

AndrewKaninchen

For anyone who's following the Improved Prefab Workflow, Prefab Mode may now seem like an obvious thing.

Since Timeline came out I've been thinking about something like that for Timelines specifically, though;

In Prefab Mode, you can set a Scene as the "Environment", which is loaded additively to your Prefab as you enter Prefab Mode to work with it in Context. Feedbacks have been made about letting the user set specific scenes for every Prefab Variant, which doesn't seem that hard to implement and seems like an obvious choice.

What I wanted to suggest here, specifically, is about something like that for Timelines, or more precisely, Timeline Assets.

To put it short, I'd like to be able to simply click a Timeline Asset and have it load a custom scene, filled with prefabs/objects attached to all of it's GenericBindings. That way, I can always have a good idea of what my Timeline does in a context determined by myself, for when I want to edit it later, and I won't have to go find some scene where I defined it.

A way to do something like that, I believe, would be attaching a Scene as a SubAsset to the TimelineAsset, and forcing it open in Prefab Mode (or something a little more customized, for it to look exactly like and intended process) as you right-click "Open In Timeline Mode" in your Timeline Asset.

Anyway, just an idea. Might actually talk some more later about why I really want this to be a thing.