Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

We've totally rebuilt the Unity.Localization workflow in Odin 3.3 - now we're looking for feedback!

Discussion in 'Localization Tools' started by const0, Feb 22, 2024.

1. const0

const0

Hey Everyone, we've just released the Odin 3.3 beta on our website!

In this release, we've introduced a replacement window for Unity's original localization tables editor. Our aim was to strike a balance between keeping the UX as familiar as possible while enhancing the workflow where needed, addressing areas where we felt the old system fell short. As part of these changes, we've consolidated the entire Localization workflow into one window for a more streamlined experience.

There's way too many things in the update to list them all here, for a full list of features check out our patch notes: https://odininspector.com/patch-notes/3-3-0-0

We are also actively looking into implementing these features during the beta:
    • Undo/Redo Handling: Since the current Undo/Redo handling on large Collections takes up to several seconds in the base version of the Unity package, we're actively exploring handling Undo/Redo actions ourselves to ensure instantaneous responses when managing large Collections.
    • Localized Reference Drawer: We are also working on implementing a new Localized Reference Drawer.
    This is a beta preview, so we've not released it to our stable branch on the Unity Asset Store yet. If you already own any version of Odin Inspector on our website, you're good to go - just go to Downloads and select the 3.3 beta version in the dropdown. If you own Odin Inspector on the Asset Store, you can redeem it on our website to get access to our preview beta builds. And if you don't own Odin Inspector at all, but still want to take this for a spin, we have a free 90-day trial available.

We're looking forward to getting everyone's feedback during the beta phase!

Wrymnn, CodeSmile, CodeRonnie and 3 others like this.
  2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Looks great! :D

We have some known performance issues with Undo.RecordObject. The team is looking into it and has made some improvements so far. We have also made some updates to switch to RegisterCompleteObjectUndo in some parts which is quicker because it doesn't need to calculate the deltas.

const0 and Tor-Vestergaard like this.
  3. Tor-Vestergaard

Tor-Vestergaard

Seems we were moved into the Asset Store sub-forum despite this being a purely Localization-specific post. A shame! We'd hoped to get some of the people who make heavy use of the localization system to try this out and give us some feedback on how it works for them, and those people are more likely to frequent the Localization forum. Now we're a lot less likely to get the eyes of the people who will actually be using this on it.

Not sure I understand the reasoning there.

But anyways, to continue this, I think performance isn't the only problem we've found - it seems localization table asset references are also often lost and become null, I would guess since the Undo operations are spread across such a wide set of assets for any single thing that changes that stuff is slipping through the cracks somewhere. Basically, there seems to be some level of Undo-related data corruption happening every now and then. I'm sure const0 can provide some details, as he's been the one mainly working with this part of things?

karl_jones likes this.
  4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Im not sure why it was removed. Im happy for it to remain in this section. I have moved it back.

If you are able to file a bug report for this issues you mentioned that would be much appreciated :)

5. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

I guess the rules don't equally apply to everyone.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-community-code-of-conduct.1547657/

karl_jones likes this.
  6. Tor-Vestergaard

Tor-Vestergaard

I wasn't aware of that rule :) Still a shame, as we were hoping to get the attention of Localization users for feedback - and the Localization subforum is where they are - but of course, if them's the rules, them's the rules. Won't dispute that.

7. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Well, apparently it will remain so I guess it will give ammunition for all the rest of the asset publishers to spam the entirety of the forum with their asset promotion posts en masse.

This could have been avoided if you guys just PM Karl and ask him to post this for you. Since you supposed to have special relations with Unity it wouldn't even register as a blimp on anyone's radar if Unity themselves break their own rules and post a half-promotion-post like this with their own preamble in the front of it ("Here at Unity we like our verified solution partners, so here is an opportunity for feedback, have at it forum-dwellers!" - or something) instead of posted by someone whose very first and only post is this one, doesn't have anything that makes them recognizable, but frankly, even if you were the one who posted it would have been perceived as a rule-breaking.
    Anyway, these rules are here for a reason (preventing the inevitable flood of spam), seeing breaking like this publicly is never good (albeit I hope this isn't big of a deal on the grand scheme of things).

Also I'm hilariously bad at public relations, so consider this just my off-topic (g)rumble.
    ---

I'll check the stuff itself too a bit later, since I'm a user of both Odin and the Localization package.

8. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

9. const0

const0