Search Unity

Games Werewolf Dodger

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by ARLTB, Jun 5, 2020.

1. ARLTB

ARLTB

Hello, I'm making a game called Werewolf Dodger where you have to continuously dodge a werewolf whenever it jumps at you. The werewolf can seemingly teleport from bush to bush, so you don't know which direction it's coming from. And if you try to move before it jumps, it'll immediately be able to catch you.

The reason I'm making this game is because I think it's a very unique and engaging one.

Here is the player character to demonstrate the type of art of the game and stuff (2D,
    top down, etc):

SS.png

Thanks for reading. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    cs747 likes this.
  2. ARLTB

ARLTB

Hello, here is a screenshot :

CameraScreenshot.png

Does anyone have any opinions on it so far? Does it look good or does it need improvements?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  3. munchou

munchou

Hi,
    Yes, it obviously needs improvements, the bushes look more like some 3-day old lettuce, and at first I had a hard time understanding what the character looked like. Top-view isn't the easiest to read, so good luck!
    You're asking people for their opinion, but there isn't much to tell, a video of the gameplay would be more interesting, because you can always work on your art later. :)

MoonJellyGames and ARLTB like this.
  4. ARLTB

ARLTB

Thanks for your help. There's just one thing I'm worried about, you say my art needs obvious improvements and you say I can work on my art later, but since I've already done the art, I'm worried that if I don't fix it now, it might distract people from the gameplay

5. ARLTB

ARLTB

Ok after carefully examining the difference between a bush and 3-day old lettuce, I have started to redesign my game's bushes but I'm not done yet. I've also slightly changed the sprite of the player character, but I don't know if anyone will be able to tell the difference ha ha :

SS0000.png

And I finally got over my previous worry and continued working mainly on the gameplay

KyleOlsen likes this.
  6. ARLTB

ARLTB

Hello here is me controlling the player :

7. ARLTB

ARLTB

Hello I added a dust trail when you slide and I made it so you can change direction of the sliding when you slide:

8. ARLTB

ARLTB

Hello. I tried to make the sprites better. Here's how they look :

Player :

FWWP.png

Bush :

FB.png

MoonJellyGames likes this.
  9. munchou

munchou

Looks way better, now one can tell what it looks like, I'd say ;)

ARLTB likes this.
  10. ARLTB

ARLTB

Hello. For anyone who might be wondering, sorry that it's been going so slow. 3 reasons for the slowness 1) trouble with our power bill and so power went down for some time 2) I had an idea for a Covid-19 themed game that I want to release before end of lockdown 3) I've been researching game marketing related things.

As for Werewolf Dodger, I think I'm done with what I think you would call "core gameplay" and now I just need to make different levels out of it and stuff

welby likes this.
  11. welby

welby

post a vid of the core gameplay! We still have not seen the player have to 'dodge; the werewolf leaping from the bushes.

keep going!

MoonJellyGames and ARLTB like this.
  12. ARLTB

ARLTB

Thank's for that request welby. I had trouble with the Unity Recorder this time so I had to record with OBS instead :

Oh and notice (at the end) if you try to dive before the werewolf comes, it'll just get you immediately.

Oh and ANOTHER thing I forgot to mention is that this is the first level and in some levels like this one, the objective is to find the blue gate

Sorry, one last thing, I haven't actually started with any of the other levels yet I'm just saying that's how they're GOING TO BE

OK I actually just remembered a couple other important things that I also forgot about.

1) I still plan on giving the werewolf a little running animation for when it changes direction so that it doesn't look like it's flying

2) Actually, I can't remember if there was anything else

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    welby likes this.
  13. welby

welby

I think it's great. Almost like a jump scare, you need a horrifying sound effect for that..hehe.

Have you thought about making it more like a vertical scroller? When watching your video I felt like I wanted to move up.

Like the object is not to stand in one screen and dodge for a certain tie limit. But instead, the screen scrolls up, and you basically need to reach the end without getting jumped.

cheers

ARLTB likes this.
  14. ARLTB

ARLTB

I'm not sure but I'm guessing the reason you feel like you want to go up is because of how I designed that level. See, I purposely designed the start of the level with a "hey let's go up" type of feel because level 1 is kinda like a vertical scroller (or at least the first half of level 1) , but that's just for level 1. My plan is to make each level like a brand new adventure. Still the same gameplay in each level but with different obstacles that require different strategies to continue your quest to escape the werewolf. But If you have more thoughts or questions please tell.

Oh and the reason I didn't go up in the video is because I just wanted to demonstrate the core gameplay, not the actual level, but that might have looked a bit confusing

welby likes this.
  15. welby

welby

oh ok,..so it is a scroller,..that's cool.

ARLTB likes this.
  16. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

The sprite looks quite nice big, but small on that brown background it becomes really hard to read. Maybe you should look to change the palletes to ensure good visual separation between background and foreground.

ARLTB likes this.
  17. ARLTB

ARLTB

Yes I thought so too as soon as I first saw the new sprites on the background but I wasn't sure. Thanks for mentioning it, I'll look to fix that

18. ARLTB

ARLTB

Hello. I've tried to make things look a bit better. I changed the player and bushes a bit again and I made the background a slightly different color. If anyone has any further suggestions I thank you :

WWPScreenshot.png

19. ARLTB

ARLTB

Hello, I made a main menu :

20. ARLTB

ARLTB

Hello. I think I'm done with level 1, and the tutorial, and the menus. Now I'll do level 2, followed by level 3, and all the other levels

21. ARLTB

ARLTB

Hello. This is my first reply post in a while. I've been stuck on level 2 the entire time because of the new element I put in. I don't think I've mentioned it at all until now, but there are 2 main elements in the game : 1) The one where you have to keep dodging the werewolf, and, 2) The one where you have to move through a maze without being caught. (Only some of the levels feature this one and level 2 is the first)

I'm almost done with level 2 and the maze thing, so hopefully things will go fast from here on now that I've figured out how to create the 2nd element.

Thanks for reading

22. ARLTB

ARLTB

Hello. I don't really have much to say but I've started doing level 5. I haven't done level 3 or 4 yet and I'm not finished with level 2. Level 2 I haven't quite figured out yet so I skipped it for now. I don't remember why I decided to do level 5 next instead of level 3 but it was for some kind of reason probably. I'm almost done with level 5

23. ARLTB

ARLTB

Hello. I finished level 5 and 2. So level 1, 2 and 5 are now finished. Next is level 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

I also added thorn bushes that you can get stuck in:

ThornBush.png

and buttons that you can press to open gates:

Big Green Button.png

24. ARLTB

ARLTB

Happy Holidays. Level 3 was unexpectedly tricky but now I'm almost done. I'm also planning to release a demo. With the demo I've already tried to make a build twice but each time there where bugs that I didn't notice before. At first there were 2 bugs but I fixed 1 of them after the first build but the other bug seems to have an unexpected cause but I think I've figured it out

Thanks for reading

25. ARLTB

ARLTB

26. GGfazo

GGfazo

Hello, I tried the demo and it's understable how the game is going to look when ended.

There are some bugs (normal in a demo):

- If you press the up arrow before presing shift (to start), when you press shift the werewolf will kill you and you have no form to scape.

- In the tutorial section, the buttons colliders are big, its hard to press the 1 or the 2 tutorial without pressing other one.

I also have suggestions:

- When the werewolf kills you, you have to press shift to show the "dead menu". It is difficult to know and it isn't in the tutorial, you should make when it has been 2 seconds after dead, intead of pressing a button.

- When you leave a tutorial level (pressing enter) or when you reload the page, you need to see all the "intro", it would be better if you add a "skip" button or something like that.

The bugs can be easily solved (I think), and the suggestions are a little harder if you want to add them but it woulld help.

Thanks for reading.

PD: You know the difference between "demo" and "alpha", right?

Meanwhile the alpha is an early state of the game (when secondary things like for example "game modes"), the demo is the finished game without bugs solved. I tell you this because I think you were thinking more about a alpha concept than a demo.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  27. ARLTB

ARLTB

Thanks. I never noticed those bugs. And I guess I don't know the difference between demo and alpha.
    Thanks for playing and helping

GGfazo likes this.
  28. ARLTB

ARLTB

Hello. I realized this game is incredibly difficult so I added the ability to increase and decrease your adrenaline to make time appear slower. But if you overuse it, you'll die of overexertion. I'm not sure if it's clear in the video, but it's very noticeable while playing :