Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Were Playables ever meant to be extended?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by CaseyHofland, Aug 10, 2023.

1. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

Hi there, after having worked with the API itself, I'm writing an article on Playables and, in a lesser sense, Timeline. This may help others in their own coding endeavors, so I find it important to get the information right.

What I've found is that the Playables API itself is very solidified. A lot of useful functionality is internal (e.g. playable.SetWrapMode()), you cannot create your own type of Playable unless you inherit from ScriptPlayable and friends, and a lot of it exists in C++ land.

Meanwhile, Timeline is written fully in C#, has guides on how to extend it and is very newcomer friendly.

Even though there is some documentation on Playables and articles from 4 years back stating how great Playables is and how in the coming years you will be able to extend it for your own purposes, it really seems like those dreams were left back in the past.

My question is this: am I right about these assumptions? I would love to understand more about Playables, the plans behind it and if they really did get lost somewhere along the way. It would help me immensely.

Invertex likes this.