Search Unity

Welcome!

Discussion in 'Unity Certification' started by michaelsehgal, Mar 15, 2016.

1. michaelsehgal

michaelsehgal

The Unity Education Team welcomes you to the Unity Certification Forum!

This is the official thread for discussion, issues, and Q&A for the Unity Certification Program. Please use this thread if you have questions, issues, or would like to provide feedback on the certification exam, courseware, or game project.

Information on Unity Certification is available at: certification.unity.com

jjrice2233, OboShape and Sonnenspeer like this.
  2. 3agle

3agle

I have a question about Certification For Studios.
    I can see the benefit to having the Courseware available for developers within the studio, provided that it is good content that suitably up-skills the developers (somewhat of an unknown for the foreseeable future).
    Other than that, though, what exactly are the intended benefits for a studio that already employs experienced Unity developers to get them 'Certified'?

jjrice2233 likes this.
  3. michaelsehgal

michaelsehgal

For a Studio, one benefit includes having the ability to assess developer competency (i.e. knowledge and skills) across several areas in order to identify strengths and areas for improvement.

Thanks for asking your question...

jjrice2233 and 3agle like this.
  4. TobiasW

TobiasW

Does the certificate tell you anything about how well a candidate did or just that they passed?

jjrice2233 and jnoord like this.
  5. michaelsehgal

michaelsehgal

The Exam provides this information. The Certificate demonstrates a passing result.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  6. SG-SopraSteria

SG-SopraSteria

Hi,

I saw that there is a session in Paris (April, 26th), but I don't know if i'll be able to go to this one.

What will be the certification's events frequency for Paris? (once a year, every two months, ...)

Thank you !

jjrice2233 likes this.
  7. Mukabr

Mukabr

Hi Michael,

I'd like to know how many questions, from the 100 that I'll have to answer, I need to get it right to be able to get the certificate.
    About the certificate itself, its a virtual certificate or I'll receive a paper document?

jjrice2233, theolagendijk and t_w like this.
  8. jluoni00

jluoni00

Hey Michael, I would love to know more about the certification, specifically how long does this certification last for?

jjrice2233 likes this.
  9. t_w

t_w

Got the same question.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  10. Mukabr

Mukabr

I got the exam yesterday in São Paulo, Brazil and the test is extremely easy. It has 3 types of questions:
    1. Multiple choice
    2. Drag many subjects to its pair
    3. Select a area in an image

You need to score at least 70% in the test to be able to receive the certificate. By the end of the test, if you are eligible, you can download your certificate as PDF.

Cya :)

jjrice2233 and t_w like this.
  11. mechangel

mechangel

Got certified at GDC last week, I was wondering if we get to ever view our exam results again, as I only got to look over which areas I did well in very briefly before having to leave the testing room so as not to bother others who had not yet finished. I didn't know many of the animation and importing model areas of the test, but I rocked the rest for the most part, particularly in programming.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  12. AndyUr

AndyUr

Congratz! Did you already get some notification of being certified? I'm still waiting for mine.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  13. mechangel

mechangel

Just the pins and t-shirt and stuff, haha! No email yet!

jjrice2233 likes this.
  14. AndyUr

AndyUr

I see... it's a cool t-shirt though :D

jjrice2233 likes this.
  15. michaelsehgal

michaelsehgal

It's still too early to answer this question. However, we are working diligently to expand global Exam availability. Please stay tuned...

jjrice2233 likes this.
  16. michaelsehgal

michaelsehgal

The Developer level certification is valid for 2 years from the date of issue.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  17. OboShape

OboShape

Firstly, congratulations to those who passed at GDC, just watched the KeyNote, well done :)

Looking forward to this, just for my own hobbyist personal development standpoint to see what understanding i've retained.

Great stuff :)

jjrice2233 likes this.
  18. bdominguezvw

bdominguezvw

How easy it's for a programmer to obtain the "Unity Expert" certificate? As it covers many areas that we aren't familiar with like Animation, Audio, Lighting, Material and Effects. And also I see that there are areas no Unity related that are more generic like Game Art/Design principles and Industry Awareness.

I'm a 5 year experienced Unity developer (started in Unity 3).

Thanks!

jjrice2233 likes this.
  19. michaelsehgal

michaelsehgal

While the Certified Developer program (including Exam and Certificate - and soon Courseware too!) will be challenging for many, it is not an "expert" level program. Please review the Website and Certification Objectives for details.

Thanks!

jjrice2233 likes this.
  20. TitoOliveira

TitoOliveira

Got my certification yesterday on the event in Curitiba in Brazil. At the end of the exam i could download my certificate, see my grades and whatnot.

Now if i access the unity's docebo portal where i can see my activities, certifications, courses, etc, i can't find a place to download the pdf certificate again. Is that how it is? It's only possible to get it during the exam?
    Another thing, it's still not possible to find myself on the certification lookout. Just wanted to know if the system is being worked on still, or if this is an issue with my certification.
    Lastly, is there a place that leads to the docebo's portal, or should i save this link somewhere just to be sure i won't lose it?

jjrice2233 likes this.
  21. AndyUr

AndyUr

Update: I got my certification confirmation 3 days ago, yay! :D The lookup thing didn't work immediately but it does now for me. So it might be a matter of waiting for a bit.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  22. t_w

t_w

jjrice2233 likes this.
  23. DanVioletSagmiller

DanVioletSagmiller

The Certification is valid for 2 years. After that, do we have to pay full price to retest, or is it the retake price of 50%, or something else? Or is this yet to be determined?

- Thanks.

jjrice2233 and t_w like this.
  24. TitoOliveira

TitoOliveira

Ok, so i just got a confirmation email about passing the certification and it answered all my questions.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  25. Aenigmaticus

Aenigmaticus

I would like to know how much this test would cost me (if applicable), and can it be done as an independent person (IE: home-schooled)? Admittedly I'm not ready for the this test yet, however the two PDF's (linked below) I read has given me a focus only school has previously achieved! Ok, and meditation too, but that doesn't quite count the same...

The two PDF's can be accessed on this page: https://certification.unity.com/education

jjrice2233 likes this.
  26. SilverEnix

SilverEnix

Is Paris the only evet location for an exam or somthing?

jjrice2233 likes this.
  27. jcasegraham

jcasegraham

I just noticed the links to Certification are gone (maybe moved?) on the unity3D web page. Does this indicate any changes to Unity's approach to certification?

jjrice2233 likes this.
  28. subu_unity

subu_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello everyone,

Lot has changed since we launched our certification program in 2016. We now have 3 expert certification exams covering the following areas-
    1) Gameplay Programming.
    2) Technical Artist - Rigging and Animation
    3) Technical Artist - Shading and Effects

We also just launched an entry/mid-career level certification for our Unity community - "Unity Certified Programmer" and soon will be launching Unity Certified 3D Artist certification in July. So stay tuned!

We have also launched a certification courseware preparation material for Unity Certified Expert Gameplay Programming Certification. Please checkout the course on Coursera - https://www.coursera.org/specializations/unity-gameplay-programmer

There will be more courses coming soon for other certification exams as well.

Please let us know if you have any questions and we will do our best to answer your questions.

Thanks,
    Subu

jjrice2233 likes this.
  29. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

I check out and did not like them.. Looks like make with a short timeline.
    Can I suggest to make a more extended explanation for each topic? just 10 more minutes for each individual video.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  30. Trucce

Trucce

Thanks for the welcome.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  31. jnoord

jnoord

Like any cert, just shows that they can pass a test. Nothing about interpersonal skills, ability to get to work on time or at all,, or ability to convert requirements to a project. Better than nothing though and does get pas HR hiring filters.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  32. jnoord

jnoord

Hi,

To be honest and to the point, until you can release software that is on some sort of reasonable schedule of updates and provide some ability to reasonably provide retroactive imports of prior work from team members, you should slow down on the "release a week strategy" and concentrate on consistency.. I really see this as a fundamental "show stopper" flaw in Unity. Even quarterly updates might be acceptable if they were retro-active with previous work and cross compatible within the release year at least.. In a production environment, I can't take Unity seriously.. It seems like an amateur coding space at best, like an ongoing "go fund me" effort. It may be fun for developers on your end as they can just go "willy nilly" adding and removing features at will. But for the customer coders, (especially students) this is a very inconsistent, unprofessional, and frankly a non supportable model for real business projects.

This inconsistency feature about Unity has bugged me since 2015 when we started working with Unity 4.x. I have been a professional 3d developer starting in 1999 and made a transition to teaching in 2014 (where we created a 3D AVR academy to train developers)., This lack of consistency to make something production compliant, predictable, and extensible has kept me from regarding Unity as anything but trivial and a precursor to "real" tools like Unreal Engine.. Unity to me seems to be a "not ready for prime time" ongoing beta. Seems like the developers say "well that looks great, add that" approach to coding, which long term never works. I hate to be so blunt, but after 15 years of doing this (and 25 years coding and developing at fortune 50 companies) that is my take on your product.

You CAN fix this though, the unity hub concept for instance "could" be great, in that it could help navigate (Automatically) different releases and provide merging pathways or even step by step conversions of redacted features.

We are looking at your certifications,but I am having major reservations with this as I don't see the real benefit to our students having a cert in unity right now. It may help get a job, but career wise, not so much Again, my money is on Unreal3d, using Unity as a learning tool and maybe for games/sims developed in "really" small shops..

Please look into this and try to make Unity more production ready and reliable.

I really hate to be so negative sounding, but this is really what my take on Unity is. Frankly if there is a viable alternative I would have taken it years ago (and will if one shows up tomorrow)

Thing is I see great potential with Unity, its a nice model (not original but nice), BUT it has looked "beta" since the beginning. You need to go with LTS by default and add "beta" for those willing to do your testing for you, not all users.

Future is "Drag and Drop", UI/UX and a landing zone for script coders (VB/C#, Python) that are being mass produced today. You have to be very technical to figure out the problems in Unity right now. To be ready for the masses.its time to mature the product quickly (you are at least 5 years into this now)

Freeze versions and make it possible to use a fixed release tools for projects without forcing updates or modifications to them. Make the store capable of supporting this too.

Its your company, and by all means do what you will, though I am adding my perspective as a "Veteran" 3d developer (as I think really anything past 7-8 years qualifies as this these days.

Take a look at Quest 3D in the Wikipedia or wayback machine and see how this approach worked for them. They had huge market share, and blew it with things like this.

Believe it or not, I am trying to help and WANT to use your software!

PLEASE Help me do this!

Jim

jjrice2233 likes this.
  33. osamakroger

osamakroger

Thankyou sir

jjrice2233 likes this.