Search Unity

Welcome to Unity! Share your experience as a new user.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Buhlaine, Jan 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

Edit Note - Hey everyone! We've wrapped up this survey, but thank you for your interest!

------

We want to hear how Unity beginners are using our software. If you are new to Unity and are willing to share your Unity experience, we’d love to speak with you. You can help us make Unity better!

If you're chosen to participate, we will ask you to keep a daily activity log over 2 weeks, and we will provide you with a few questions to answer each day. If interested, please take 3 minutes to sign up below. Those selected to participate will receive a $400 gift card once they complete the study.

Link removed

If you have any questions, let us know below!

Note that there is no compensation for filling out this survey, and filling out the survey does not guarantee you will be selected to participate.

Paradr0id, HoldingRocket and CHEMAX3X like this.
  2. HoldingRocket

HoldingRocket

Would the participants have a minimum amount of time dedicated to using Unity each day, or are they fine to use Unity each day on a project even if it was for 30 minutes?

Smozon likes this.
  3. DawdleDev

DawdleDev

Question: what will the gift card go towards? The Unity Asset Store? Or somewhere else?

4. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

The goal would be for you to use the editor for at least 1 hour a day, if you're selected to participate they will be happy to share more information. In the mean time you can always reach out to myself or advisorypanel@unity3d.com for more information!

You would be able to chose a giftcard from a list of outlets, it's not specifically an Asset Store or Unity gift card.

bobmku likes this.
  5. bobmku

bobmku

cool site

6. geebrown2012

geebrown2012

I am a newbie. I have zero experience with creating games and would like to learn. I installed Unity 2018.3.2f1 2D kit a week or so ago, maybe two. I am reading through the manual trying to figure it out. Hopefully, the manual will give me the tools that I need to make Ellen move. I have no idea how to do that in game mode. However, I finally figured out how to add the tiles in the scene from the tile palette.

7. geebrown2012

geebrown2012

I figured out the keys to make Ellen move left, right and jump. I am so excited!

rudypoo and Buhlaine like this.
  8. mrj44ck

mrj44ck

I thought making a game is easy... but after seeing the tutorial.. I got dizzy.. but its okay.. coz it seems fun..

pickettph likes this.
  9. pickettph

pickettph

While trying to hack together the bits I have ran up against many problems, most I have found info to lead to a solution. However the biggest hurdle to date is how to frame a question to ask and try finding an answer to. I found and downloaded a picture that I thought would be a good ground texture. Imported it into a project and set it to the terrain only to find that my pine needles or grass are as big as trees laying on the ground. How can I zoom out and reapply the texture so it looks closer to a correct size?

10. Kemo1956

Kemo1956

I cant say that Unity is good or bad ... can not install an editor! I have a gaming pc the runs Revit, AutoCad, and photoshop ... can run them all at once so dont see a problem installing Unity!

11. ilegor365

ilegor365

As a Unity newbie I am a little concerned about the apparent lack of forward compatibilty, i.e. a project developed in an older release of the Unity engine will likely not run on the later releases, e.g. due to obsolete, no longer supported coding/functions. Downloading Book Of The Dead was my first, and unfortunately not the last, encounter with this phenomenon. I would appreciate a reassuring (or not) response to this concern from the more experienced community members ;-)

matencio likes this.
  12. colin_young

colin_young

I'm probably not the demographics you're looking for (I'm not using Unity daily, also I think the deadline has passed), but I would be very interested in providing feedback. I am a new Unity user and a professional software developer with 20+ years of experience, primarily in web and back-end business applications. I have a strong interest in mentoring junior developers to help them become software professionals rather than just 'developers.' As such, I think I have a valuable perspective to offer on the experience of learning Unity and adapting existing skills to a new environment.

13. ccdragos

ccdragos

Where do I find the position Challenge zip file?

14. ccdragos

ccdragos

OMG! I found it under course files!! YAY!!!

15. matencio

matencio

I have no coding experience. I'm 59. I want to learn this because I have a project for law enforcement using the Magic Leap and want to create a program for it. Am I taking on too much? The good news is if someone like me can do this, anyone can - and I'd really like that a lot.

16. calebjc

calebjc

I used the Ready app and did the "Space Chicken" tutorial which I found to be excellent! I'm an instructional designer in higher education and this is my first 2D game ever. I haven't actually used Unity, but the Space Chicken tutorial is a soft exposure to the Unity GUI, which I found comforting. I'm now looking for an Astroids game to make educational with Ready. Then maybe Unity.

Here's a beta of my first 2D game “Kill the Cold.” It is designed to be a proof of concept of a fun break from an online university course on the immune system: https://ready.app.link/jScTWEmtoT

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  17. biblicone

biblicone

I spent a good 2 hours attempting to try each tutorial, with no luck. nothing worked. compiler errors with every tutorial. nothing learned.

18. garrach

garrach

there is no luck in development ;)

calebjc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.