Search Unity

Official Welcome to Unite Now!

Discussion in 'Unite Now' started by AskCarol, Apr 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AskCarol

AskCarol

Introducing Unite Now, a digital programming series of talks, demos, Q&As and stories – all available on your favorite device. For you. For all.

Live content to keep you on your game
    With the postponement of events like the Game Developers Conference, we don’t know when we’ll next get to see you in person. But we still have an incredible amount of rich content, learning sessions, creator stories and more that we’re excited to share. That’s why on April 14 we’re launching Unite Now – a free series of online sessions offered in engaging and interactive formats.

Featuring Unity experts, creators, partners and other members of the Unity community, Unite Now is the perfect place to learn about all the Unity tech and solutions that can help you succeed at any and every stage of your project. Be inspired by fellow creators. Get time-saving tips. Learn how to launch, operate, and monetize your game. And more.

Game on: Level up your Unity skills and knowledge
    We recently delivered two live roadmap sessions (check them out on our YouTube channel) on the evolution of our technology. Unite Now builds on that popular format. It’s an open series of all-new learning sessions, demos, roundtables, interviews, and Q&As. Here’s a taste of what we’ll be sharing with you:

• Helpful tips and how-to’s: Unity experts will provide time-saving tips, tricks and best practices so you can get the most out of the Unity content-creation platform and its live game, multiplayer, and monetization services.
    • In-depth learning sessions: Learn about a new product, service or capability while engaging with Unity’s product experts and R&D leaders. Ask them your top questions, provide user feedback, and talk shop in real-time.
    • Inspiring Unity creator stories: Hear great first-person accounts of how Unity developers are blazing trails to realize their creative and financial goals. In a series of podcasts, you’ll learn about their journeys, what they’re creating, and how they’re using Unity in unique and innovative ways.
    • Q&As with the experts: Join us in the Unite Now forums after each session to ask all of your questions and give us feedback.
    Tune into Unite Now every week
    Beginning April 14 and continuing throughout the spring and summer, join us for Unite Now on unity.com/unitenow. No matter if you’re an artist, programmer, live-ops manager, server engineer or just dipping your toes into game development, there’s something for you. We’ll be providing a weekly program lineup so you know when to tune in. To get started, here’s a look at what’s premiering in our first week of Unite Now.

Tuesday, April 14 (all times Pacific Time/PT)

• 9:00 am: Create Landscapes and Terrain Faster
    • 11:00 am: Unity – Behind the Game: Recompile
    • 1:00 pm: Key Takeaways from the 2020 Mobile Game Monetization Report
    Wednesday, April 15

• 8:00 am: Meet the Devs: Input System
    • 11:00 am: Getting Personal with Analytics
    • 1:00 pm: Speeding Up Your Workflow for Mobile Apps
    Thursday, April 16

• 9:00 am: Deliver Better Games Faster by Leveraging Next-Gen Crash and Error Data
    • 11:00 am: Empowering Students Everywhere – Today and Tomorrow
    • 1:00 pm: Better Artist Workflows in Unity – an Overview
    Don’t miss a thing! Add Unite Now programming to your calendar.
    We’ll be keeping it up to date with all the latest content over the coming weeks and months.

Add to Google calendar

And if you can’t attend a session in real-time, don’t worry – the videos will be available on-demand for you to watch at a later date.

Be among the first to experience Unite Now
    Fill out this form to be on the Unite Now mailing list, which includes the weekly event schedule. You can also follow Unity on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube (#UniteNow2020), where we’ll be sharing updates and highlights from Unite Now, and you can add the Unite Now programming lineup to your Google calendar.

Unite 2020 goes virtual
    We’ve received a lot of questions as to whether we plan to hold our flagship North American/European Unite event in the fall. As the pandemic continues to evolve, it has become clear that for the health and safety of our community and our employees, a physical Unite event is not in the cards this year.

Though we know it’s difficult to find a substitute for the magic of in-person experiences and connections, we aim to bring you the information and content you value and we’re in the process of exploring how we might deliver the Unite conference experience to our community in a digital format. Stay tuned for more on this in the coming months!

In the meantime, #PlayApartTogether and we can’t wait to see you – and engage with you – online!

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  2. mandisaw

mandisaw

Not sure if there's a bug in the page or something wrong with my browser (Chrome), but all of the past session videos require Sign In / Login, but it doesn't seem to recognize the active login session/cookie. And the presumably new-user Sign In popup is wonky (field labels mismatched, prefilled info doesn't quite work, etc).

3. AnneCHPostma

AnneCHPostma

The Unite Now calendar is suddenly gone from my Google calendar (it was there for the last couple of days). When I try to add it again I get the notification 'You do not have access to Unite Now's calendar'. I tried it on 3 different browsers, all with the same result. Any idea what has happened?

Maybe it would also nice to have a Microsoft and iCalendar version?

4. AskCarol

AskCarol

So sorry about that! It looks like there was an issue with the permissions.
    Can you retry using this link and let me know? I'll pass on the suggestion of adding a Microsoft and iCalendar version :)

5. AnneCHPostma

AnneCHPostma

It is working. Thanks for checking it out! :)

AskCarol likes this.
  6. OrlovskyConsultingGbR

OrlovskyConsultingGbR

|I miss on essential topic in Unity3D testing , testing and once again testing

AskCarol likes this.
  7. frangagn

frangagn

Are these being recorded? Where can we find the recordings, if they exist?

8. mgear

mgear

would it be possible to have times displayed in local timezones?
    (or add countdown timers, so can have some idea when it is in local time..)
    https://resources.unity.com/unitenow

9. Shadow_Demon1596

Shadow_Demon1596

WINDOWS 10 pro 64bit version

PROCESSOR

Intel Core i5-9600KF Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.6 GHz Turbo Unlocked Without Processor Graphics LGA1151 300 Series 95W

GPU

Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC Edition ZT-P10510B-10L 4GB PCI Express Graphics Card

RAM

Corsair Vengeance LPX (CMK16GX4M1A2400C14) 16GB DDR4 Desktop Ram

2TB Internal SSD

IS THIS ENOUGH FOR 2D AND 3D GAME DEVELOPMENT?

10. Tactis

Tactis

i am using unity 2019.4.5, when i import normal mp4 video, unity giving me this error- UnityEditor.VideoClipImporterInspector:OnDisable() , and i am unable to attach video file ,
    i read that unity supports .ogv file, so i converted my video and then imported it, it attached successfully, but doesn't show up on built (i tried all, material override option, camera far/near , also trans coding as informed ), on trans coding .ogv file unity gives this error -
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Now i am stuck in this loop, cannot find any solution, can anyone help?.

11. chakravarthye

chakravarthye

I am trying to build an AR app for android on unity. I am getting the following error when I try building. It would be a great help If anyone knows how to solve this.
    upload_2020-9-2_19-29-47.png

12. itsmegamergirl

itsmegamergirl

Hi, Im new here on unity and I bought unity font assests. im just wondering how can I use it? I already import it but how can I use this fonts? Thank you in advance and help will be really much appreciated!

Attached Files:

13. awesomedata

awesomedata

Those are not fonts -- Those are animations.

You'll need to add a new gameobject, create an animator on the gameobject, create an animation state machine graph, add a new state, add one of those animations to the newly created state, and finally place the gameobject in the scene to play the animation state (after hitting the Play button in the editor.)

That, or you can look up a tutorial on how to play animations in Unity -- (it might be more helpful than I can be right now, if you're not familiar enough to know how to do the steps I mention above.)

Hopefully that helps. D:

PS: This is a terrible place to ask for help. You might be better-off looking for other beginners to help you out.
    You're likely to be waiting for months for someone to ever answer your questions. Just FYI. D:

14. OSContract

OSContract

I am new to Unity.
    I am trying to build a simple 5 piece puzzle game.
    All 5 pieces are moving and rotating at the same time.
    How do I move one piece at a time and rotate it?
    While rotating it should not move and while moving it should not rotate.
    I used TouchPhase.Stationary and TouchPhase.Moved and this somehow works.
    But I want to apply to one piece at a time not to all pieces.
    Please help.

15. awesomedata

awesomedata

Sadly, as stated above -- This is not the best place to ask for help. :(
    Also, when you do ask for help, it would be useful to those trying to help you if you would first let us know if you are new to coding, and then explain your project setup in more detail.
    In other words, how are you currently moving the pieces? -- What is your setup for that?

But since I'm here...

My guess is that you're using NestedPrefabs (with a script attached to make your object move/rotate). The way to ensure that only the correct object moves/rotates is to ensure that you're dealing with collisions properly (i.e. raycast at the cube or whatever it is you're moving/rotating and get the gameobject in question -- this will allow you to have more control over it).
    Since this is based on touch, you will need to do a raycast out from where the touch position is (in screen space, not world space). With that (and google), you should have what you need. NestedPrefabs are designed to spread work across many objects simultaneously (and this is usually a good thing -- it saves a lot of programming!), but when you're trying to drill-down into something specific (i.e. a particular object in a scene), you have to work for it a bit more -- which is actually a good thing (in principle) and you should design all your game systems with this mindset. Something like a TouchSpinnerMover system should always be abstracted from the thing that actually spins/moves. A lot of beginners don't realize this, and therefore when they want to make the thing "jump" too -- they are stuck having to remove all the gameobject-specific references (or deal with the spaghetti-logic that results from their design decision) when they want to fundamentally change how their system works (at a base level). Ideally though -- if you'll eventually want to add more physics-based movement stuff -- you might abstract it even further (i.e. make Jumper/Mover/Spinner systems that report to a central TouchHandler system).

A PSA to Beginners to Unity (and the game industry):

The most important thing you can remember is this:

You will not be able to rely on forums (or other users) to answer your questions for you.

People are genuinely busy -- This is not personal.
    The reason is that you are asking (professionals) for their years of experience -- for free.
    While there are plenty of kind people out there, you should be kind to them first.
    As a courtesy to anyone you might ask for help, do the following:
    Look up everything yourself -- and do it as if nobody will ever help you -- this is so that you can get used to it -- because, unless you're a major corporation / AAA developer, you'll have to rely on this skill for practically everything you'll ever want to do in Unity. Again, this is a skill (not luck), so best learn it early. You will have to face disappointment constantly. You will likely not find ANY documentation or youtube videos to help you with your (very specific) problems, so it's best to learn things generally (rather than step-by-step). So don't expect anyone on the forums to hold your hand on that kind of thing either -- most of them are still learning, and just aren't yet comfortable enough to offer a solution. Except for professionals who decide to lend a hand, you are on your own.

There's a reason everyone cites for this phenomenon:

The general consensus in the industry is: "Making games is hard. If you can't figure out how to do it on your own, you probably shouldn't be doing it."

While I disagree with the elitism buried into that line of thinking (as well as the delusion that the person in need of help isn't somehow a human, just like them, in need of a little help to fulfill their dreams and aspirations - just like they once were at one time until they gave up asking for help for one reason or another, most likely because they didn't actually _receive_ it), I still feel there is a small hint of truth to that thinking that gets misinterpreted.
    There are many many people who feel "entitled" to others' time. But as we all get older, time becomes more valuable to us. So in order to maximize time (or sometimes just out of sheer exhaustion), some find a way to dismiss others in order to save themselves time or heartache (for example when the other person doesn't heed their advice, which very often happens). And when you can't listen to others -- you are likely heading down a terrible path in life already and no amount of interactions on a forum can ever save you from yourself. Listening is extremely important -- no matter how much we know (or 'think' we know) -- and the older we get, the more often we feel the world really is not listening to us.
    There is obviously bias and jadedness in that sentiment, but as it stands now, this is what you're dealing with.

I know this is a long post, but I hope you'll bear with me -- you will appreciate this knowledge later.

I am sharing this because I too was a beginner once, and I wish somebody would have shared this stuff with me when I was going through my own journey -- It took years to fully understand what was going on, and some people who have been in the industry longer than I have still don't have a full enough grasp of this problem to prevent it. Therefore I am spelling it out to you.

You are the future of game development -- and the industry.

So please take my words to heart. They are only meant to help. :)

Hope that helps you on your journey. :)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    AskCarol and OSContract like this.
  16. asish108

asish108

I am using unity 2018.2.2 and spotlight and it works in editor but does not show when build it. Any suggestions?

17. theAlphaSSG

theAlphaSSG

Hi, I'm stuck in a situation, I'm working on FPS shooing game, I've made all levels now I want to make a level selection system. My all levels are in single scene

18. AIParanavithana

AIParanavithana

Unity Package Manager Diagnostics (v0.1.5)
    ============
    Ran 7 checks
    ============
    2 succeeded
    5 failed
    ============
    ❌ UPM registry reachable (FAIL)
    Make an HTTP request to the UPM package registry
    >> Connection error.

❌ Ping UPM registry (FAIL)
    Measure the latency of the UPM package registry API
    >> No successful pings could be made in 6.344 seconds (3 failed)

❌ Ping UPM download (FAIL)
    Measure the latency of the UPM package download endpoint
    >> No successful pings could be made in 6.541 seconds (3 failed)

❌ UPM registry download speed (FAIL)
    Test the Internet connection using the UPM package registry
    >> Connection error.

❌ Speedtest.net (FAIL)
    Test the Internet connection using Speedtest.net
    >> Connection error.

✅ HTTP proxy environment variables (PASS)
    Detect whether proxy-related environment variables are set (HTTP_PROXY, HTTPS_PROXY, ALL_PROXY, NO_PROXY, UNITY_PROXYSERVER, UNITY_NOPROXY)
    >> Proxy support has been configured through the following environment variables:
    >> UNITY_NOPROXY = localhost,127.0.0.1

✅ UPM health check (PASS)
    Start the UPM process and call its health endpoint
    >> Server start duration: 1078.00 ms
    >> Server response duration: 646.02 ms
    >> Server response:
    >> {"status":"OK","nodeVersion":"v12.2.0","upmVersion":"v3.12.0"}

this is my unity package manager diagnostic report.

I Can't sign in to Unity hub. but I can sign in from the browser. please, help me to fix this error.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.