Search Unity

Welcome to the new forums!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martinvium

martinvium

The distinction is there because you can change the default on a per thread basis. In any case i agree that it is weird there is no way in XenForo to apply the default across all threads watched, without manually re-watching each of them. Hopefully most of those threads are dead by now.

2. Moonjump

Moonjump

And my default has been no emails since the Unity 2 days. I had to turn it off back then because my inbox was getting flooded.

3. martinvium

martinvium

As far as i can tell you have only a single thread watched with email notifications enabled (this one) the rest are regular watched threads, which should only trigger in the alert widget here on the forums. I have PM'ed you to try and dig a little deeper.

4. orb

orb

I just can't find the New Posts link when browsing on my phone (Android+Chrome)! It's nowhere anywhere I can see, not in the special mobile pull-out menu. It's fine on my tablets, both iOS and Android. On the phone several links disappear.

5. Arcanor

Arcanor

6. martinvium

martinvium

Thanks for bumping this, i'll take a look at it.

Arcanor likes this.
  7. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hey I'm encountering a problem since a few days (couldn't tell when it started — I'm not even sure if it maybe was there since the new forum change but I was ignoring it as I did in the last days).

When writing a post, the Rich Text Editor stutters very badly, depending on how many posts a thread has. With "very badly", I mean that I write much faster than the time the text takes to appear. Switching to BB Code Editor mode makes everything smooth again. I replicated this issue both on Chrome and Firefox (Win 7).

Try to type something in this thread for example (a thread I need to answer often, which has tons of pages/posts) and you'll see (I suppose you are fast-typers, which is required to recognize the issue).

8. Demigiant

Demigiant

UPDATE about the previous issue. It doesn't depend on the amount of pages, but on the amount of posts appearing in a single page. If the page is almost full, stuttering gets very bad.

9. Arcanor

Arcanor

I had to sign in a dozen times yesterday. I'm running Firefox 31.0 with Adblock plus, among other plugins.

10. Demigiant

Demigiant

Heya! I have another suggestion, which seems a pretty important usability feature to me.

The new Insert > Code panel is very nice, but it's also very small.

Since some of us sometimes post a lot of code, it would be truly nice if it filled the full page height, or at least was much higher, otherwise editing can get very uncomfortable (for those of use that write code directly inside a post, instead than just do some copy-pasting), and I personally end up using BB Code because of that :)

11. chingwa

chingwa

As long as we're asking for changes.... can you guys PUHLEASE move the posted date from the bottom of a post up to the top right corner of the post... please please please??? I'm sick of having to scroll down just to see if the post I'm reading is even relevant date-wise.

randomperson42 likes this.
  12. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Is there a way to search in specific forum categories?

Example, wanted to search for "Cropping" within the Beta 4.6 forum section.
    Do not wish to use global search as that comes up with many threads and a lot of outdated info.
    I seen this feature in many other forums and seems ok.

13. NomadKing

NomadKing

The 'Search Forums' at the top (next to the Watched Forum and Thread options) lets you refine your search to specific forums.

MrEsquire likes this.
  14. any_user

any_user

15. eskovas

eskovas

Suggestion:

I know it probably wouldn't add much, and can be a bit pointless, but having the ability to see how many people are following a thread would be very nice :D

randomperson42 and NomadKing like this.
  16. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

Is there a way to see images as links instead of actual pics during editing the post?

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You can turn off the rich text editing in your preferences.

--Eric

18. randomperson42

randomperson42

Actually this would be pretty useful. I've wanted this for asset store or WIP threads so I know how many people are following my product.

19. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

20. Smartline-Games

Smartline-Games

Sometimes (6 out of 7 days) it feels like there are no forums (including this) where you are able to find the correct answer to a problem on your gamedevelopment. I don't see any reasons why this forum or forums like (armedunity.com) are still up and running online.

21. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Because many thousands of people use it every day? If you don't get an answer, it's usually because the question wasn't presented well.

--Eric

NomadKing likes this.
  22. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Forums needs a login button when your not logged in.. Looks good though now with the new header. :)

23. Kristjanbh

Kristjanbh

Administrator

Login button - menu, top right under the "user" icon, if I'm not mistaken.

24. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Oh... That one. My bad. I was looking in the forum header, not the main header. (where is used to be.) lol.

Well done. Looks good

Kristjanbh likes this.
  25. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Nice, but some sections missing description under them, not consistent.
    Also would be nice to separate beta testing sections Unity 5 and Unity 4.6 on there own place and any future versions etc.

26. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Not so fond of having to click an icon to see the moderation queue and reported items.

--Eric

27. John-G

John-G

Has mobile version of unity forums been updated today?
    It went down on me earlier showing only a blank screen, it's back up for a few hours now but it's so slow now.
    Takes me about 5min to scroll from the top of a thread to the bottom.
    Restated phone (iphone6 plus on ios8.1) with no difference.

28. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Same issue, iphone 6 cannot use forum properly now,scroll basically f*ed excuse my language but this needs be looked at asap

29. Kristjanbh

Kristjanbh

Administrator

There definitely is room to improve the mobile version I agree, not being able to scroll properly is perhaps not the best thing on a forum,
    But I think I have a solution in place, can you confirm or are you still experiencing this?
    Same for you @MrEsquire

John-G likes this.
  30. John-G

John-G

Yes it's working now ok. Thanks for fixing.
    Would love if Tapatalk support was added, makes browsing forums a breeze on mobile devices.

HeadClot88 likes this.
  31. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Mobile sections seem to have disappeared all sudden?

32. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Nope, they're under "platforms".

--Eric

33. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

So make it more complex by needing users to click more and spend more time searching...this section was fine yet no logic in having some other forums no one enters stick in your face?

Who is making these changes?

34. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Plenty of other forums have subforums; I doubt anyone finds it complex. It's either that or a much longer list to scroll through on the main page, which is worse. In case you hadn't noticed, there are more sections now.

--Eric

35. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I dont disagree with your statement, but its all wrong- what customer research you done . None..

Users like to see important sections first and mobile is huge priority..over some sections as job seeking and adverts. These can be better grouped. Its seems no discussion again has taken place and one person makes all choices depending on how they feel is best.

Actually Im sorry to say if its you making these changes then you got it all wrong. And each day the little pictures keep updating, someone must be bored, although considered a nice feature forum should be as clean as possible and last thing that needs to be done is these touches...

36. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

LOL, it's not me making any changes. I'm just a moderator. Anyway, the changes aren't wrong. The problem is that people tend to squawk when anything changes at all for any reason, even if it's for the better, but then they get used to it. What you find to be important is not necessarily the same as what other people find important; there was plenty of discussion about this. (But the platforms section is higher up than the job seeking section, so not sure what you're complaining about really.)

--Eric

Deleted User likes this.
  37. jonkuze

jonkuze

What the heck just happened to the Forums... = \ Bug Report, Form is Upside Down lol! Please put it back to normal please... General Discussions should always be on Top last I checked any Forum.

MrEsquire likes this.
  38. Moonjump

Moonjump

So Unity have got rid of the alphabetical Hierarchy and made the forum list alphabetical. Both are now the wrong way.

MrEsquire likes this.
  39. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Nope; way too many people were posting incorrectly there when there are plenty of perfectly good support forums. This makes the most-used, important stuff more visible.

--Eric

NomadKing likes this.
  40. Ra1den

Ra1den

Unity's Growth continues to amaze me^^

.....and this Lovely community too of course :D

41. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Eric please stop defending evey move unity does, its getting boring now, for once take some information from actual community on board

Joviex likes this.
  42. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

If you're bored, don't read my posts. If I think they do something right, I'll say so, and if you don't agree, well too bad, that's my opinion. I don't have any problem pointing out stuff I think doesn't work. (e.g., in discussion elsewhere about forum changes, I mentioned that hiding the moderator notifications was a bad idea.) As far as I know they listen to everyone's opinion, but you need to realize that in the end they have to do what's best for the largest number of people.

--Eric

43. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

They have to do best for largest number of people - and where is there a shred of evidence on the forums that they are accomplishing this? No statistics or polls or facts to backup anything. Anyway I will not waste anymore time bickering with youself, if they want to make this like a professional place they can by simply asking the community for feedback...I look forwArd to the next new change and google imaged searched icon

Joviex likes this.
  44. Dom3D

Dom3D

I think it still would be better to split OnGUI topics and Editor Scripting, despite uGUI.

45. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

I'm trying to change my avatar by uploading a new one but it goes back to the previous one...

46. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Can you try again, we've been having issues with the servers synchronising and we've put in a temporary solution that should stop this from happening.

47. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Done.

Aurore likes this.
  48. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Much approval on the Avatar

49. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hello again :) I would like to re-suggest to decrease the height of each Unity Forums page. Pages heavy with images (like this pinned one) often freeze the browser for quite a long time when trying to load all that stuff in one page. Maybe half the current height?

50. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

The number of posts per page was extended because people thought it was too little...can't please everyone. ;) Anyway that page doesn't freeze any browser for me; all the text is loaded first, then the images load in afterward and everything remains responsive during that time.

--Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.