Search Unity

Welcome to the new forums!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Please use a transparent icon for the user icons that have no image instead of the UGLY question mark :)

2. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

And I don't understand why under my name is written new member since I'm registered in 2007, not exactly new.

3. electroflame

electroflame

This is really good. Obviously it's not perfect, but the in-thread view is much, much better.

I was planning on doing something similar, but you beat me to the punch. Nice work.

EDIT: Here's two changes to remove the extra author name from the bottom, and readjust the positioning of the timestamp so it's not sticking out to the left too much:
    Code (Boo):
    1. .message span.authorEnd {
    2.       display: none !important;
    3.     }
    5.     .message span.item.muted {
    6.         padding-left: 30px !important;
    7.     }

4. Moonjump

Moonjump

That multi-quotes method doesn't work if the posts are on different pages of the thread.

Everything that has a blue dot is in bold. Everything has a blue dot and bold except for some pinned threads. Not that the bold is that obvious.

5. justicar

justicar

Why can't I easily find a member's most recent posts? Or even my own? Basic functionality here.

Lots of other usability issues that people have already mentioned. Honestly, not a fan. Like we used to say in the Mil, if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

6. mgear

mgear

please limit signatures to 1 or 2 lines.. theres already some banner images, just saw one 16 lines signature etc..

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Read messages don't have a blue dot and aren't bold. Maybe you need to mark the forums as read?

Click on the profile page for a user, then "find all content".

--Eric

8. Moonjump

Moonjump

What does the blue dot mean? I've seen them used elsewhere to signify unread messages. Aurore thinks something different about the bold.

How do you mark forums as read? Why do I need to? It all worked automatically before.

9. Demigiant

Demigiant

Heya!

I like the new style. Though I'm marked as a "new member" in spite of almost 2K posts, contrary to everyone else apparently. Maybe it's because I logged in for the first time (since the forum change) today, and you set the trophy/points thingie only for the first day? I didn't get any trophy popup. Not a big issue, just thought I'd let you know :p

10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Right, it's unread messages. When they are read they don't have a blue dot and are not bold, as I mentioned.

Click on the "Mark forums read" button, upper-left. You don't normally need to, but if your read topics are showing up as unread, perhaps you need to clear things out first.

--Eric

11. goat

goat

How do you get rid of the avatars? You can hide signatures but you can't hide avatars?

12. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Didn't read through all here, but did a search and got too many unwanted results.
    Is there a setting in alerts that will remove after visited the alert?

13. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Could you message me with links to those?

Everyone with the new Member issue, you will become a "member" within about 30 minutes of signing in. Please check OP before posting.

Can you post a screenshot of the search and I'm not sure what you mean by the second part.

14. Demigiant

Demigiant

Ooops I apologize. I did read the OP, twice, but somehow I missed the 30 minutes update part.

15. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Hey all,

What about adding some new sections for console and making the whole forum more clear and separated into better sections. Just a starting point, but lot room for improvement.

Section:
    Unity Mobile Support
    - iOS Development
    - Android Development
    - Blackberry Development
    - Windows Development
    - PSM Development

Unity Console Support
    - PS3/PS4/PSVita
    - XboxOne/Xbox360

Unity Web Support
    - Web Player

- Flash Player

NTDC-DEV likes this.
  16. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

"Can you post a screenshot of the search and I'm not sure what you mean by the second part."

First part is, didn't want to search through the results.
    Second part is, can we have an option to have an alert removed from the alerts list if we have clicked on that particular alert link?

17. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Are anyone else's preferences being reset every time they log in? I've disabled signatures and auto-watch twice now, but they are enabled again.

18. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Is the little animated horizontal stepping interface really necessary for the thread page navigation element? Why not just make the element wide enough to show more pages? You could even let it actually scroll horizontally if it got too wide. The current solution looks like someone showing off their web programming skills without any thought for usability.

19. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

That happened to me the first day of the new forums, but has been fine since then.

--Eric

20. Aurore

Aurore

Console discussions are under NDA so we can't have a public forum for them. But I'm not against organising a mobile section, not sure about web though.

Can you screenshot the part you're talking about?

Quite a few have been having issues with this, I've not been able to reproduce it myself but it's in the bug list.

I can add that to requested features and see if it would be possible to implement without destroying that system.

21. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

This thing:
    Screenshot 2014-06-05 12.59.47.png
    Clicking that little black arrow makes the non-end numbers shift like some sort of clunky mechanical device.

22. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

The question mark is odd and looks like clip art. What's wrong with the old head silhouette?

23. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

Sorry, If this was mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'm gonna have to agree with that, a separation would make it easier then those little pins.

24. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Web would be nice, especially with WebGL coming soon. Web also encompass anything that has to do with LMS delivered eLearning content through Unity as it uses the Web Player.

So if you merge the Flash forum (pretty innactive) with Web Plugin and WebGL under 1 forum it will fit nicely and be much more active than some of the current sections.

25. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

If someone needed an example of a bloated signature, welcome mr.Kaji.Atsushi, with a record 17 lines signature...

26. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Oh Dear - this does exactly the opposite of what one thinks...

27. ZimM

ZimM

Not sure it this was reported, but attached images are now blocks instead of inline for some, and that ruins many layouts, disallowing to center images, or put them in a row. Just follow any of the forum link in my signature and you'll see what I mean.

28. Moonjump

Moonjump

I do like that you can hover over a thread title and get a clip of the first message, but please get rid of the animation. By the time the clip can be read, it is almost as quick to open the thread, defeating the purpose.

29. Demigiant

Demigiant

Yup me too. In my case I try to set mail notification for thread replies, but it gets reset every time and no mails are coming my way, whew. Glad to know the Unity team is working on it.

30. AaronC

AaronC

The pinned posts are quite difficult to differentiate from the regular posts..

31. Aurore

Aurore

Ah yes I see what you mean.

That will depend if the poster sets it to be a thumbnail or fill image when attaching it.

32. VIC20

VIC20

I feel lost in this new forum. It's way too hard hard to read - some things are light grey on white which is not a good choice and they fight with lot of (unnecessary) bold text. Overall less important things are much more prominent than the important ones. As a result I've already stopped browsing it. Even while typing this the menu bar of the editor options are distracting my eyes from the text I type. Design should follow function.

33. Aurore

Aurore

Have you got any more examples while browsing?

34. VIC20

VIC20

I see a dot and bold text. Why two things? The bold text makes the whole list harder to read, the dot would be enough.

I can read "Aurore" but the date is extremely hard to read. The start date of the thread can be important because you often translate date to Unity version in your head or you can identify it by date to similar threads about that topic that you have already read before. Same for the date of the last reply, it's slightly better to read but it's still too small, it's not that important who replied compared to when.

Beside that the vertical space between the title of the thread and date is too large, actually the distance to the title of the next thread is almost identical (20 vs 22 px). This in combination with almost no contrast between the background colors of the two threads makes it harder to read and when looking at the whole page it raises visual confusion:

Nothing is aligned! Humans will notice that, most won't think about what's wrong but almost all will get a weird bad feeling when looking at it:

The "Replies" block - it's nice to have and nice to see the views but it is not that important compared to the date, this is the stuff that should be small. In it's current state it is again a distracting factor because it is too prominent, but the worst thing with it is that it always hast the same background color, this creates a visual grey block over the whole page and when your eyes move from the title of the thread to the last reply this block makes it harder to keep the eye on the row.

Next thing: why is the name of the person who wrote the last post bold when it's unread? Bold suggests something important, no one goes through the page by looking at the name of the last reply and even if it does not help when almost everything is bold because 90% of the threads are currently not of any interest for you. The bold username on the right side fights the bold thread titles on the left side - this all ends up in an overall confusing look.

Last thing:
    Some might think it's nice to have the user's avatars/pictures there, but actually they are completely useless (unless you think of "oh my favorite user started this thread" which does not really make any sense in the context of the use of this forum) hence this is just another pointless distraction.

35. Ostwind

Ostwind

I disagree that the blue dot is enough. Bold for unread threads works well and worked the same in the old forums. I agree that bold user name makes no sense however.

I still hate all the timestamps in the new forum. So tiny and sometimes fades in the background, no 24h format or no "x ago" style formatting after 59 minutes like old forums had. Also the position in the post is not logical for me, it should be seen somewhere top of post and not at the end of post and signatures (which I have disable already like 5 times ;) but the option seems to get reset)

36. Aurore

Aurore

A lot of people asked to have it bold like it used to be so we made a quick change. There is a newer style being worked on taking into account all this feedback and we are constantly working on things.

37. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

People read from left to right. First 2 things a person wants to notice is if a thread has been unread AND if it's a sticky or not, so he can skip over it.

1) Place sticky & important icons to the left, or after the title, or use a different background / typography for topics with it.
    2) Make the blue ball push the title to the right. The read titles should be aligned more to the left. This will add the alignment to pop out.
    3) Vertically align the blue ball, it's misaligned.

I do think that for increased readability, the topic items should be more condensed in terms of height. It feels like a pizza with everything floating around right now. I see no reason to have huge line spaces everywhere, it just hurt readability, creates an over-separation of information and lowers usability by lowering the amount of items you can show in screen space.

Overall, I'm happy with the progress so far. It started a bit bumpy but everyday there have been improvements.
    Thumbs up to the web team! (And you too Aurore!) :D

38. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Slowly getting used to the new design, I like how everything works at the minute but I DONT LIKE CHANGE :'(

39. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I still don't really like the New layout on the PC yet. It feels too crammed.
    The Forums look and feel awesome on a tablet, thoug. :-D

40. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

So far I already prefer the new forums over the old, because 1) copying code actually works finally (just needs a "select all code" button), 2) editing posts always works, 3) notification stuff is way better, 4) moderation stuff is mostly better. Obviously the last one only affects a few people directly, but better moderation improves the forums a bit overall. The only thing is, there doesn't seem to be an option to ban people after a certain point, such as a sneaky spammer who was a member for a while but wasn't called out on the spam until recently. Also the moderation queue is backwards...most recent should be on top surely?

My main usability suggestions at this point are 1) time/date not prominent enough and 2) the entire thing is somewhat too pop-uppy for my taste.

--Eric

41. ZJP

ZJP

Hi,

I don't know if this has been talked before but, the number of displayed thread per page in the "Asset Store" forum are very too low. :(
    These new forums are they designed for mobiles plateform? :confused:

42. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Don't think I have seen this mentioned but if you select 'New Posts' now only shows 10 pages worth (which currently fills up in a few hours). Previously showed 20 and always wished it showed all new posts rather than some arbitrary cut off. I only tend to visit forum once a day or so and normally New Posts was just enough to see at a glance all new posts and read the ones of interest. Now having to go in to each sub-forum in turn.

43. VIC20

VIC20

Indeed the forums look much better on the iPad, especially the grey text, but usually you would use the forums on the desktop because you work all day with Unity. I second PolishRenegade's post.

44. Ness

Ness

Any chance for enabling custom skins?
    Or maybe just make a dark skin similar to what dark skin in Unity Pro looks like, ok?

45. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

46. goat

goat

I feel the the new looks are all 'look at me because I look busier I must be better' but really is eye pollution. And I still can't turn off avatar visibility. It looks 'teen' rock magazine-ish or TMZ-ish, if you read those sorry but the forums look like those.

47. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Please increase posts per page or start looking for mods for forum :) dont be scared now

Admin CP -> Home -> Options
    > Threads, Discussions and Conversations -> Discussions Per Page
    > Messages -> Messages Per Page

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Messages -> Messages Per Page

48. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

I don't know if this has been mentioned before in this thread, but:
    Thread posting doesn't work with Presto (Opera 12.0).

I know supporting old browsers is S***ty work, but this browser is still my main, because it's still the best.
    It also seems that consensus among Opera users is that the newer versions is still not on-par with 12.0.

I don't expect well rendered pages all the time, but I hate when key functionality breaks for no reason, like this.

(I had to use Firefox to post this btw.)

49. Aurore

Aurore

I know what you mean here, the forums are so busy that the search doesn't end up going very far back.

It's been mentioned (can't remember where, this it was through support) So we know :)

Looking at this now, if S*** breaks, I'm blaming you :p

50. Aurore

Aurore

Alright, I changed the settings, 30 threads per page, 50 posts per thread? Too much, too little, personally I used to display 100 posts per thread.

MrEsquire likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.