Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the new forums!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

We did it! We transitioned to the new forum software! A huge thank you to the web team for working hard on this.

Now you can tell some things are a little different, you may need to check your notification settings on how you will receive your subscription notifications.

While the forums have gone through some testing, we still expect there to be some funky things happening. If you find a bug please send it to support at unity3d.com starting your subject with Forum Bug

Please take a look at the known issues before sending it through.

Known issues:

(List will be updated as issues are found)

Trophies - [Edit] When you sign in, your member status will update within about 30 minutes.

When you signed in for the first time you may have noticed a trophy pop up. Trophies are part of usergroups and the promotion system to different groups. To prevent everyone having the label of “new user” we need to promote every user to the “registered user” usergroup, this mean everyone has to have a trophy in order to not label everyone a new user.
    Since this is super intertwined with other systems, it was extremely complex to isolate and get rid of, so everyone has 10 points!

Search index - FIXED

- Some spam is coming through, we're adding stuff to disallowed phrases. p.s. this spam cleaner is amazing.

- Pinned posts are not obvious

- Post distinctions in threads are not obvious

- Everything is very white.

- Code box does not take advantage of entire width

- Editing posts issues

- Some BB codes no longer work

- Notification settings when changed, do not stay canged

- Inbox sorting doesn't work

- Cannot post on Opera 12.17

Additions -

- Forums are now bold if there is unread content
    - Threads are bold if there is unread content (still have the blue dot)
    - There is a more distinct line between posts in the thread view
    - Smileys are inline now
    - Post counter (needs some refinement)

- Images in signatures removed and signature lines restricted

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    rakkarage, Magiichan and LukaKotar like this.
  2. appels

appels

3. CorruptedHeart

CorruptedHeart

One thing that could be useful, when I logged in I was presented with 10 unread PMs which I had read from quite some time ago, having the ability to mark all as read would help. Unless I somehow missed that option.

Otherwise, it looks quite nice.

4. appels

appels

I did not receive any trophy points or I missed it :(

5. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Looks great! But where is the option to see my latest posts on threads I do not subcribe for?!
    Gone or I can't find the button anymore...

Edit: OMG! I can't believe you've deleted all my posts history. :mad:

6. virror

virror

Nice work! I do think they are a lot messier though than the last one, is it possible to remove the annoying user icons when browsing categories?
    Other than that i think its great : )

carking1996 likes this.
  7. carking1996

carking1996

Any ways to split the stickies etc away from the main posts? Seeping through them is a bit annoying.

Nanity likes this.
  8. virror

virror

Yes, that would also help with the visibility : )

carking1996 likes this.
  9. Nanity

Nanity

Looks great beside some minor issues :D

• 10 px wasted space between the top navigation menu and the forum index
    • Missing outlines to the threads (every 2nd post is white on a white background)
    • User icons in the forum categories are annoying (+1 to virror)
    • Cannot diminish wether a topic contains new messages, ol' forum greyed the headings out
    • Topics per screen space ratio is very poor in the forum categories, maybe it's possible to make them more compact

NTDC-DEV, nuverian and carking1996 like this.
  10. carking1996

carking1996

I love the like functions, though. Where's my points? :)

nuverian likes this.
  11. nuverian

nuverian

Good job on migration :)
    Generaly I like the wider width layout. I've noticed some problems, that I wont submit as bugs since they are not exactly bugs but rather may be just how the new forum soft works:

• Images can't get aligned in the center.
    • There is a limit of 10000 characters, which means that posts already having 10000 characters cant be edited, unless we remove content.
    Im sure there will be more quircks :)

I also think the CSS needs will need some work boxing areas a bit cause everything sits on a white background and it's a bit difficult to distinguish areas of funcitonality

NTDC-DEV likes this.
  12. Aurore

Aurore

Go to your conversation, check the tick box for as many as you like, a floating option box should appear, select mark conversations as read.

You history isn't gone, the search is still indexing which is why it may not be appearing.

Agreed

Can you send this to support please?

Nanity likes this.
  13. Aurore

Aurore

I just hit that limit, I will try to remove that now.

14. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Nice work team! Surely there a few kinks but nothing that can't be taken care of ;)

15. MaxieQ

MaxieQ

Good job on the migration. Yay. Looks great.

Now if we could only get a art and graphics subforum... ^^

16. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Nice work!

FYI, I didn't had any trophy pop up and I have 0 points, not 10 and labeled as new user. :(

17. Aurore

Aurore

Yeah I noticed that, changing that part

PixelEnvision likes this.
  18. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

I am still finding my way....

Is it possible to see the recent posts I have made to threads so I can go back to them to see updates to conversation?

i.e. A summary of threads I have been involved in.

Edit: It looks like I have been reborn. I am a new member :)
    I have been been involved in the forums for a couple years and made 150 post. I am curious what is required to raise my standing in the community?

19. nuverian

nuverian

I agree. CSS needs some work to be more readable

NTDC-DEV likes this.
  20. Aurore

Aurore

FYI Post character limit removed.

Click Alerts, this will take you to all your alerts, in the sidebar you will see the threads you have subscribed to.

Try signing out and signing back in again for you new member status to change, this is an issue we are having right now where pretty much everyone is a new member (even though they are not) for now.

21. Aurore

Aurore

FYI - We are collecting feedback on the style so we can improve readability :)

22. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Thank you, it's still the same tough. Signed out & in...

23. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Agreed, I think there could be improvements to the sub forums.
    But this is not part of the migration work, so I think wait a bit for this.

- I would like to know if there is a dark default theme or white only?

- I noticed also does not tell me if there is a "new thread" created in the sub forum on the forums main page?

- One other small annoyance is; can the stickies be revised/reviewed, there simply to many of them and have to scroll before even starting to look at the first new thread.

Overall thanks for the great upgrade, much love :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  24. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

New/old topics should use bold/plain as before, blue ball is not working for me...

25. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

- One other thing, on quick reply "Watch this thread" should not be enabled by default.
    Just realized when I replied earlier under "more options" this is enabled.
    Don't wish to be spammed by mass mail etc.

- Wish to see users post count also under there image, this is very important :)

Please review

26. Aurore

Aurore

Just heard that we need to wait until a background job is done before the new member thing will go away, so it's a temporary issue that will go away soon. We also need to rebuild the user cache which will be complete over night.

So far there is white only.

I think this is intentional, but we can look into adding that in.

Will have a look and try to revise the sticky list.

27. Aurore

Aurore

That's something everyone needs to disable in their account settings, I'll have a look in the forum admin to see if I can disable this globally.

28. nuverian

nuverian

Thanks again :)

I'm prety sure you have experts there and I am not one by any means, but my personal opinion would be to distinguish areas of functionality within 'boxes' as it is hard right now since almost everything sits on the same background color. I think the style needs some overal contrast.
    Same opinion I have about the forum itself, to be boxed and separated from the white background even though I prefer wide I think for a forum it's best to be boxed for readability.

Best regards :)

29. TheDMan

TheDMan

I actually hate the new style. I liked the previous more "compacted" look. Everything seems too spaced out-stretched out.

Also the divisions of where things end-begin are too close in color and its difficult to make the distinctions. Please make the line that separates posts darker so it doesnt look like its just one giant post that never ends.

Example, its nearly impossible to see this "quick response/quick reply" section.

Moonjump likes this.
  30. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

I loved that new "quote someone" system! :p

31. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

One thing I'm noticing is that in terms of usability, it's harder now to see quickly and easily which threads have new messages that I haven't read, or when the last date was that someone posted in a thread... it seems now to be in small, gray text ... I know partly I'm just not used to where to look, but looking at when threads were last posted to is one of the primary ways of navigating to what I want to look at.

32. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Thanks for the replies, but why would anyone do this?
    This means I need to every day click each Sub Section of the forum to check if new messages been posted in the forums

33. 3agle

3agle

One immediate thing that I'm not particularly a fan of:

The page numbers have a hover-over css change that makes it seem like the current page is a page you haven't visited, or can visit. The scheme should be the other way around, where the other pages change on hover, and the current page doesn't react.

Not so bad on threads with more than 3 pages, it's easier to realise what's happening, but threads like this one at the moment, it basically makes you think you've gone to the next page when actually, you've just refreshed the current one.

I know it says the page number beside it, and it's utterly unimportant, but it struck me for some reason... :p

34. Ostwind

Ostwind

- Yeah the sticky threads take too much space now and should at least have other background color since the pin is not enough when they are not grouped.

- Read/unread thread distinction is not too good, only a blue ball. I liked it when unread was bold.

- Post times are not clear enough (small font, gray) and the format turn in to a time stamp after an hour. Old x hours ago, 1 day ago was good.

Also its 2014, where is the user option to enable 24h time display :)

35. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Congrats on the move!
    Looks great but I have a few things I'd like to see changed:
    1. I think user avatars in the category view need to go. They're too distinctive and ruin the minimalistic feel of the new forums.
    2. User signatures are taking a lot of space now. I think reducing the line spacing would improve things a lot.
    3. Is there a way to move the post time to the top of the post or to somehow separate it from the signature?

36. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Love the new features but the CSS is big step backward.

Readability;
    - Messages text Line-height; Way too big. It should be lowered by 50%. Just that will help readability tenfold.
    - Messages items; Too much space at the bottom. The messages are already separated by a different grey background and a line.
    - Messages items; The items should have a different grey background than the white forum background.
    - Thread-item listing height; We can only see 30% of the threads as before on the same screen-space. There is a lot of extra space at the top and bottom of the thread items for no reason as well as in-between the title and the user-name / date.

Bugs;
    - Messages; The "New" box has a 3px by 3px grey box overlapping.

As an ex-web integrator... this hurts :(

37. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Community team is doing a great job!
    *Will keep the 'BUTs' about the engineering team for myself*. Oh, and love the new moticons! :) More emoticons, mooarrr!

38. Acumen

Acumen

I hate the like feature and this thread alone has enough examples of why it distracts me.
    If this could be disabled/enabled that'd be golden.
    Also just like people predicted the mobile (iPad in my case) view is superhuge and I would really like to have my standard desktop view via switching, so I can just browse it in a smaller style.
    Also there's soo many pictures and things to look at while I lose focus on the actual threads.
    Wasn't there a feature that displayed the last replier to a thread ?
    Maybe it's all because of the bighuge forum text and styling, though :)

Yeh, I'm just as hit by a brick as I feared I would be. The look of the forum before was superbe, modest and straight to the point. This one seems too bloated with unnecessary stuff,design and featurewise, for me personally.
    I'm old :(

39. Yukichu

Yukichu

Style Feedback - too much whitespace, text is a little too light compared to the background. mid-grey on top of light-grey equals my eyes will burn out eventually. Everything is already starting to 'blur' and create eye strain.

Is there an ability for us to use different styles? If not... ah well.

Other than that, cool.

40. NomadKing

NomadKing

Liking it so far. Agree with the comment about separating off the stickies a bit if possible :)

41. Aurore

Aurore

Cool, thanks for the feedback so far, I'm gathering it all to give it to the web guys so we can make adjustments.

42. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

As I said in the other thread. There is no "New" icon on the front page telling you there are new threads in a certain section. I'd like that to come back. Rather than having to click on each section and look for the blue spheres.

Also it'd be nice to have a border between stickied and non stickied threads.

43. Dabeh

Dabeh

Those slightly grey windows are playing havoc with Flux, a shame I have to turn it off to use the new forums else everything is so orange even though it has even the slightest of colour difference(that is otherwise virtually unnoticeable); I don't really expect Unity to accommodate for this though.

Any chance to be able to click on these images to go to the correlating sub-forum?
    Relevant image included:
    insertrelevantimagehere.png
    I feel like I'm playing duck hunt because of my high resolution combined with my low zoom.

Edit: When clicking on my thumbnail it's not auto-centred on my screen, is this a bug?

Edit 2: When clicking on General at the top to go back to the sub-forum, I go to the home of the forums.

44. goat

goat

a) In IE 11 the text box to write a post in a thread in isn't visible.
    b) I see no way to turn off avatars.
    c) I see no way to turn off in line images.

I did see how to turn on & off signatures though.

45. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

The new forums are awesome. Thank you Unity Tech!

46. NomadKing

NomadKing

^ This.

A way to mark all posts in a forum a read would be nice too (I'm probably blind and missing the option...)

EDIT: A bit of space between the bottom of a post and the signature would be nice too!

47. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I can't align videos in my posts. They are always left aligned no matter the setting.

I also find it difficult to read the threads. It's tough to tell who is talking since there is not enough space in between replies.

48. Aurore

Aurore

If you go back to the forum page, click the tick box next to the thread, a floating box might appear to mark it as read?

49. Aurore

Aurore

This is probably one for the issue books.

Please everyone remember to e-mail support and write the subject as Forum Bug for major or minor bugs so I can throw them at the web team :p

50. .x-tra

.x-tra

is it possible to make it more grey...?
    Darker i think is better.
    Its to white....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.