Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Welcome to the DOTS forums!

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by MartinGram, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExNinja

ExNinja

2. starikcetin

starikcetin

3. DreamingImLatios

DreamingImLatios

4. tertle

tertle

5. DreamingImLatios

DreamingImLatios

Lol. That was the link I was going to post, but for some odd reason it was broken last night. Works this morning just fine.

6. tertle

tertle

It doesn't work if you add the directory after it, which is a bit of a pain as you can't link specific pages.

tigerleapgorge likes this.
  7. KrackZero

KrackZero

where is all of this DOTS stuff on the roadmap??

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

So, this all looks good and interesting but, when will Unity definitively turn to DoD and drop OOP? Is there a road map somewhere?

Thank you.

9. thelebaron

thelebaron

quote from joachim - "For game object / monobehaviour workflows nothing at all will change. In line with what we have said before, MonoBehaviours & GameObjects are here to stay. It would be unimaginable that we would really change anything significant there, since it would break almost every unity project..."
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/whe...dots-editor-tools-coming.701909/#post-5060849

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

It seems that Joachim needs to update his point of view. :)

Quoting from What is DOTS and why is it important?

DOTS is to become the default feature for Unity; MonoBehaviours will be dropped one day or another.

11. Too bad that the text you quoted doesn't say what you're saying it does.

12. mikestanley464

mikestanley464

Will 2021 have an option to persist changes which were performed during playmode?

13. Hungry4noms

Hungry4noms

Can someone clarify for me, is the expectation in the DOTS that everything is eventually written DO or that everything is written OO and then analyzed and compiled to DO? If it's the former how exactly are we to avoid having multitudes of everything? AkA 'ship' OO when you want one, and 'ships' DO when you have a space game? seems like a lot of re-write, but I could certainly be missing something here.

14. DreamingImLatios

DreamingImLatios

You write data-oriented code. And while you lose inheritance, you still have composition. Also, static methods are still a thing to avoid lots of rewrite.

15. n_gon

n_gon

Just finished this tutorial https://www.raywenderlich.com/76301...stem-for-unity-getting-started#toc-anchor-001

Obviously, this is a very specific use case and does NOT take advantage of the burst compiler OR the jobs system.

However...I find it very odd that I get about a 40-50% reduction in performance with the ECS approach. I would imagine this has to do with Hybrid ECS converting every drone gameobject into an entity which may incur a hit in performance. I am using a 3950x 32thread cpu with 64GB of RAM, if that's relevant.

I'm questioning whether the concept of having a pure ECS project is dangerous. I have no doubt that if I were to implement a jobs system and take advantage of the burst compiler, the specific application in this project would be considerably faster than the all-monobehavior version as this application seems like it would benefit heavily from multi-threading.

However..... what about applications where the burst compiler and jobs system will have a minimal impact on performance? Such as a player controller where there is only one player and he doesn't have any behavior that would benefit from multithreading. Assuming I still get the performance loss of using Hybrid ECS over the traditional Monobehavior approach, could this have a negative impact on performance? Seems to me like the palyer

Should we ever even consider having pure-ECS projects or, should we only use the DOTS system for specific, highly repetitive tasks? Right now, it seems to me that most projects would benefit from sticking with monobehaviors for most of their custom code, as most of the performance gains from DOTS would probably happen with the things the Unity team is working on like the new physics system unless you're in the rare scenario where you need tens of thousands of gameobjects / entities onscreen at a time.

edit: Thinking more about it..I can't blame the performance loss on Hybrid ECS - the tutorial converts the prefab into an entityPrefab so there's only one conversion per wave. Additionally, the lag is continuous - its not like I get a lag spike every time new entities are created. The lag is caused from the entities running tasks not from their actual creation....

Why would entities run single threaded non burst compiler code slower than gameobjects? Again, I know its moot when you throw in the burst compiler and C# jobs but... I still would like to know why this is happening...?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    MUGIK likes this.
  16. MUGIK

MUGIK

I've had a somehow similar experience. Native collections are extremely slow without Burst

I'm not an expert, but yeah, you don't need ECS for every part of your game. Just imagine making UI with pure ECS:confused:

17. valarnur

valarnur

Can whole Unity application be rewritten as job system with burst compiler but not exclusively when using DOTS for game project but also when using gameobjects?

ScriptsEngineer likes this.
  18. Split3

Split3

Can't access any noise function in the mathematics library. I'm using unity 2020.2

19. sas67uss

sas67uss

@MartinGram Where are you currently on the route? It seems that the DOTS project started out very fiery at first, but its evolution is slow. I think the structure of its implementation creates a lot of ambiguity and complexity for the user, in other words, it has a slow learning curve. There are very few step-by-step and effective tutorials for it. Can we hope that it will be easier to use in the future?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  20. TheCelt

TheCelt

Mathematics does not seem to be in package manager under preview or release for unity 2021.1 for me. Why is this ?

21. TWolfram

TWolfram

22. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

I have been trying 2 days to port the Austin demo from github to just the next version of Entities in Unity 2018.4 (preview 12 i think)

and have zero success, i corrected like 200+ errors and now am stuck as many things are just 100% different or missing ( e.g. fixedarray does not exist in componentType etc)

Is there an updated version of this demo for the latest version of entities ?

Thanks

Deleted User likes this.
  23. Unknown_Oleg

Unknown_Oleg

upload_2021-9-10_17-29-15.png

Why i cant create a new project ? ((

24. JesOb

JesOb

May be you try to find functionality of Unity Tiny? But looking inside DOTS Entities package?

25. eggsamurai

eggsamurai

I cant breath without new DOTS! Any new?

26. nasos_333

nasos_333

Exactly had this cant breath feeling when tried to make something in Dots for weeks, only to find out had to waste more weeks to fix it, and then they decided to stop support for the system in new Unity versions :)

I barely escaped with my life from this adventure, so hopefully the news are that everything is now compatible with the new Unity like the Hybrid Renderer in URP, so can proceed my work that now seems like vastly huge lost time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.