Search Unity

Welcome to Developer Preview

Discussion in 'Developer Preview Archive' started by willgoldstone, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Wolfos

Wolfos

Stage3D doesn't work on Linux either. Or at least, not with hardware acceleration, which makes it about as useful as... I'll get back to you.

Anyway, my game seems to get stuck at the menu screen, pressing "play" does absolutely nothing. Well, we've got NaCl anyway, infinitely better than Flash.

2. Wolfos

Wolfos

3. Toad

Toad

Wow, that's some pretty hefty release notes!

Looks amazing, thanks a lot for all your hard work guys!

Downloading now...

4. jeffweber

jeffweber

5. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Mansquee!

6. SquiggleDome_2

SquiggleDome_2

Its also free license, and I believe supports every feature Webplayer has.

But the runtime player for NaCL is massive (100Mb). For a simple cube demo, users shouldn't have to wait everytime to download this. Does Chrome installs the runtime player once, or does it download every time per domain name?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  7. Dreamora

Dreamora

You need to change stuff a bit. in the library folder the only thing you need to check out is the versioned folder.
    that and the whole assets folder.

but that holds for the case where you use text based files and non text based files as the library folder itself changed

8. w00dn

w00dn

Wow, what an update! Thanks Unity!
    Just messing around with Shuriken and all the curve based settings itself is amazing!
    Mesh particles are also awesome. Those will be a great addition to our project :)

Ok, back to reading the updated documentation!

9. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

So... Where are my light probes?!?
    Area lights?? Is it that, can someone tell?

10. kenlem

kenlem

Creating your own audio is awesome. Well done, you Magnificent Bastards, well done. This is going to be fun.

11. tomwilson

tomwilson

Text based scenes pro only? Sadface.

12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

$lightprobes.png

--Eric

13. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Thanks, I saw that, but I dont know what the anchor is ;)
    I just drag a light source to that field and thats all? Cant be so simple like that.

14. pretender

pretender

is flash export going to work on linux?

15. Dreamora

Dreamora

the exported flash player works whereever Flashs Stage 3D player exist, so theoretically it works on linux

16. goat

goat

another thread for this

17. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

You need to add a light probe group component to a game object in the world. From this you can add probes and move probes ect. After you bake with beast the probes will have illumination. In the renderer for objects you want to use light probes select 'Use Light Probes'. the anchor is the transform that is used when generating the interpolated probe, that is the position you want to use for the probe that the renderer uses..

18. Daniel FF

Daniel FF

Hi,

Someone know where we can find documentation about social api (game center) ??

Thx!!!

19. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Thank you stramit! Now I gonna have some fun.
    Oh my god, this is soooo cool, I see the probs now ;)

20. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Not quite every feature, but support is generally much closer to the Web Player then Flash is.

No. Currently NaCl content will always be published to the Chrome Web Store (unless you require users to manually enable it in chrome://flags). The Chrome web store allows you to publish your app as a packaged app where all the data is downloaded and installed on the users machine on first run, so it would only get downloaded once. See AngryBots on the Chrome Web Store for an example. The other option is hosting it on a web site - but in that case, users also wouldn't have to download 100 Mb. First, they'd only download the files matching their architecture (ie either i686 or x86_64), which is only half the data. Then most web servers support compression. The unity_nacl_files folder contains an .htaccess file which tells apache to compress the data on transferring, which means that in the end, the actual data sent over the wire should be around 10 MB. Which we're still hoping to improve, but it is much better then 100.

21. w00dn

w00dn

Who's this disturbing individual? :p

22. alejobrainz

alejobrainz

I think you may be wrong on that count. Adobe stopped developing the in browser Stage3d... but AFAIK to focus on apps, rather than on the browser plugin. I understand that Stage3D is indeed coming to mobile and it was actually showcased by Lee Brimelow a couple of weeks ago at FITC:

http://www.flashmagazine.com/news/detail/stage3d_for_ipad_and_iphone/

Alejandro.

23. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

@woodn - that's our favorite PS3 porting midget, Mircea :)

24. w00dn

w00dn

@aNTeNNa trEE I wonder if she had something to do with this 404!

25. Dreamora

Dreamora

Already the fact that it says iOS means its not Stage 3D in mobile flash player but Stage 3D in the standalone compilation path as iOS targeting is standalone compilation only and if you do that you for the hell of it would not use flash (you lose performance, features and many other things and gain exactly nothing). Anyone using unity to target that kind of failed on step 0 of his research for technology.

That targeting only makes sense for people working with AS3 and Stage 3D natively and alike not a engine that 'beside the real targets' targets Stage 3D too

26. Gruhm

Gruhm

Backed up my project and updated. Works great. Had a few minor issues with some prefabs (I went a little crazy with nesting), but otherwise - awesome. Had an iOS version running on device in no time.

Now on to testing out some of the new goodness. Thanks Unity.

27. Ricks

Ricks

Ah I forgot... I could activate a 30 days trial, thank you Unity! :) Time to play around with Pathfinding.

28. dhendrix

dhendrix

Any webpage or something where all the 3.5 features are listed/documented/explained? Apologies if this has been already asked.

29. Wolfos

Wolfos

Well, Flash export isn't really going anywhere fast I guess. Look at this:
    http://wolfos.org/resources/flash/FlashExport.html

It doesn't lag, and everything is present, but some objects are barely visible because their lightmaps didn't export or something, and everything is suddenly all low-res. And that's a Unity demo!

The bloody spacebar doesn't even work!

30. Wolfos

Wolfos

Also, how much of Mirror's Edge did the designer of that demo play?

31. ShadoX

ShadoX

Lagged for me.. heck, the screen keeps turning white almost every few seconds.. (I'm on Ubuntu 11.10)

32. Wolfos

Wolfos

Flash version(18MB): http://bit.ly/uUZKZZ
    Unity version(15MB): http://bit.ly/uirjOB
    NaCl version(15MB): http://bit.ly/rRrk04

The NaCl version also doesn't seem to work, anyone know why?

@ShadoX: The Linux version of Flash player doesn't support hardware acceleration. You won't get any playable framerates out of that.

33. SquiggleDome_2

SquiggleDome_2

It seems to me missing the unity_nacl_files folder. That is the runtime and you need to upload that as well.

34. bryanleister

bryanleister

I'm getting a message in Chrome - "Native client plug-in not allowed." Is this a browser issue or a server issue? I've uploaded the entire web build folder along with the nacl_files folder.

35. SquiggleDome_2

SquiggleDome_2

Try typing chrome://flags in the address bar and enable Native Client.

36. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

That's largely due to the HDR tonemapping and Linear Space lighting. That demo is marked as "Pro Features" and is meant to show off certain new features in 3.5 such as Linear Space lighting, HDR, Light Probes, LODs, OC, etc... it wasn't meant to showcase Flash deployment and we should've made that clear. Although in the FAQ we do say that image effects are not fully supported in Flash atm.

I actually haven't played it that much ;-) - but it was the obvious inspiration for the demo as it easily checked a lot of feature boxes that we wanted to show off cleanly and quickly.

PS - If you want to check out Flash deployment out of the box with a Unity demo do it with AngryBots as we did purposely update that demo to run in Flash.

37. alejobrainz

alejobrainz

I completely agree. There is no sense in trying to use Stage3D on Mobile if you can go directly using iOS Pro. Just wanted to give my 5ct on Adobe desisting on Mobile ;)

PD. The dev preview rocks! can't wait to see www and Asset bundles into Flash Export. Really exciting times!!!

38. hjupter

hjupter

Photon cloud / RPC and terrain is not compatible with flash export?

Code (csharp):
    1. The type or namespace name `RPC' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

39. Tseng

Tseng

C'mon, are you kidding me? I was expecting NavMesh to be Pro and Occlusion Culling to (since it was before too), Even the Text Based Scenes and prefabs was quite to be expected to be Pro but LOD?

That's really something basic that should be available in the free version.

P.S. Wasn't it said in the other thread, that there is going to be a feature which jumped from Pro to Free? Looking at the Free/Basic list I fail to see anything that wasn't there before in Pro. Mind to clarify? :p

40. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

@Tseng I'm also wondering about the Pro feature in Free. I wonder what it is.

41. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Click on the link in the first post, then click on FAQ.

--Eric

42. Silence

Silence

I'm gonna take a guess....but the pro feature in free is the reverb zones, right?

43. Wolfos

Wolfos

So we've got HDR support, how do we use it? Is it a post processing effect?

44. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

It's shuriken that is in Unity free too.

45. Tak

Tak

It's true that Stage 3D doesn't support hardware acceleration on Linux. However, whether that results in an unplayable game depends greatly on the game.

For example, all of the demos in the Unity Flash Showtime thread (at time of post) run perfectly well on my completely unexceptional Ubuntu workstation. Angry Bots drops a few frames, but is still completely playable. It's definitely conceivable that other things won't be, but many things work surprisingly well, and things need to be tried on a case-by-case basis before ruling them out.

That said, Native Client is certainly the best road to providing Linux users with the best possible experience.

46. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

As an indie user, how are you authoring your LOD meshes? My guess is that most indie users won't have the resources to author LODs even if the system *were* available to them.

47. Tseng

Tseng

You just need meshes with different polycount for it and assign them in the LOD Groups and tell it when to switch. It's not too hard to reduce the poly count in tools like blender, so your argument is none. Also Indie doesn't mean you make everything yourself, 3-10 people can still be indie, depending on the size of the project etc. Indie actually means, not funded by some huge publisher, you do basically everything out of your own pockets. Being Independent.

It's pretty important, especially for mobile devices. And currently Pro licenses for Android are just to expensive, because you need the Pro + Android Pro, even though Android Pro doesn't offer anything new over Unity Pro, just enables it for the other platform.

But if you work on a game with no funding, then having to play 3000$+ per seat is pretty much for ANY indie developer, because you can't purchase Android Pro separately you always have to purchase Unity Pro, even though you may never use it! So if you have 4 devs, that's 3500$-5000$ per seat if you develop for mobile (Android Pro + Asset Server/Android Pro + iOS Pro + Asset Server), which is 10.500$-20.000$, just for Unity.

Cause working with more than 2 people absolutely requires the Asset Server/Team License. Well, actually with the new changes it can work with VCS too, but on bit larger projects you still lack the Cache Server. If the licenses could at least be purchased separately it would be at least a step forward for indies. They you'd only need (Android Basic or Pro + Team License) * seats, which reduce the costs per seat to 1500$-2000$ (or 400$-900$ for Basic), which is somewhat acceptable for indie devs.

I must say, much changed in the past 12-14 months since Unity3D got a free version. Back then Unity3D looked pretty viable for indie developers, but currently it's more of getting in the background as other major engine developers offer completely free SDKs (+royalties or purchase of commercial license when your game is done and ready for release) and Smartphone Ports.

For our next project, we'd for sure need Android Pro at some point, if it's just for the static batching and asset bundles feature, but the current license model is just... not a valid option. It's already pretty much almost impossible to work with 2 others without a source control, the current system just to broken. In order for the others to make changes to some prefabs, I first have to add them, zip the whole stuff and send them, so they can do the change.
    If they add the prefab themselves and only send the *.prefab files, it just won't work because their scenes/project assigned a different GUID code to the prefab. While its quite possible (but annoying) to do this with very small projects (under 300 MB project file > ~100 MB packed), it's impossible with anything bigger than that.

48. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I also wonder about that Pro Feature that made it into Indie, now.... Is it really the reverb zones?

49. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Shuriken particle system was dropped to unity free, if I recall right.

50. Tseng

Tseng

Unity Free already has/had particle effects, Shuriken is just the improvement/replacement of the existing ones.