Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Bolt 2 beta (coming soon)

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by LaurentGibert, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. game-making

game-making

Sign me up

LaurentGibert likes this.
  2. zhangyuxing01

zhangyuxing01

Hi Laurent,

Would you please sign me up ? We've been user of Bolt since the Bolt1, we are using Bolt2 in our current development for level scripting, we will rely heavily on it in the future as our project will go very big.

Thank you,

3. moyashiking

moyashiking

I'm looking forward to Bolt2 and use Bolt1.
    After using Bolt2a10, the Bolt1 UI feels awkward to use.
    I can't wait for Bolt2!

4. VMaxxx

VMaxxx

Sign me too!
    After using Bolt 1, Bolt 2 feels strange and awkward to use!)
    But I believe Unity will adapt Bolt 2 very well.

5. LosV

LosV

Hi @LaurentGibert,
    from couple of days I read about visual scripting for Unity and I have chosen Bolt.
    I have watched some tutorials about differences between Bolt 1 and 2.
    In Unity I can buy only v1 and as I read from prevoius msg I dont will be able download Alpha versions.
    I want have fresh start and start using Bolt v2 from begining.
    Please tell me if I will buy from Unity asset store version 1.4.* I will have free upgrade to v2?
    And also if it's possible to get my hand to even v Alpha ... Beta would be beter ... before you will relese RC or stable version.

Regards

6. eRobse

eRobse

I would like to sign up for the beta as well! Thanks in advance.

7. GregMcM

GregMcM

Please add me to the beta test list.:D

8. Thorgrem

Thorgrem

Sign me up for Bolt 2 beta, Thanks.

9. shyamarama

shyamarama

10. HEptapon

HEptapon

I'd like to be part of the beta.

11. The-Burgunfaust

The-Burgunfaust

Definitely interested in the beta of Bolt 2.

12. Emdistal

Emdistal

Very excited for the alpha/beta/next steps of Bolt 2, and I’d love to be notified when it releases. Thanks!

13. feneq

feneq

I'd like beta access as well!

14. i0plus_developer

i0plus_developer

I'd like to try the bolt2 beta. Please.
    Is this the right place to ask for try?

15. wbourassabennett

wbourassabennett

Hello, I'd like to sign up for the Bolt 2 Beta also!

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

I want to participate in the beta testing as well. Cheers.

17. Game-Uber

Game-Uber

Hello, I'm very interested in beta testing Bolt 2, as well as beta testing and providing feedback on the C# curriculum being developed. I tutored C# programming and scripting when I studied game development in college, so the prospect of being able to teach C# visually is a dream come true.

18. Off0

Off0

Hi there @LaurentGibert,
    Please send me Bolt 2 beta version, during development, I could gradually test if work´s fine.

Will be include an easy migration from Bolt 1 to Bolt 2 ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  19. insominx

insominx

Hi @LaurentGibert. I am also interested in the Bolt 2 beta test. Thanks!

20. caka9999

caka9999

Hi @LaurentGibert. Im a Bolt user, I would love to participate in the Bolt 2 testing.Thanks!

21. atn87

atn87

Nothing news about bolt 2? I have been bought Bolt 1 and have been waiting for years for Bolt 2. Please sign me up for beta version.

22. Mercury_Switch

Mercury_Switch

Please sign me up for the bolt beta! Stoked for this.

23. Binuz

Binuz

Please add me to the beta test list. Thank you

24. Marckenson

Marckenson

Hi @LaurentGibert , i would like to know can Bolt 2 create a triple A game ? I want to mean is it good enough ? When Bolt 2 is completely finished. Too, is it true, i can create a game without writing a single line of code with Bolt 2 , seriously ? please

PS : If the answers are YES for the questions, seriously. I will buy it soon! Also, if it is YES, create a large document from A to Z for Bolt 2 and tutorial videos, please

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    LaurentGibert and asadmuzammil77 like this.
  25. dre788

dre788

This is a misleading understanding of visual scripting. Sure you don't have to type out text but you are still coding. In bolts case, you still need to understand C#, Unity and coding principals in general. If you're a more visual person like me then using these tools will help you layout your logic easier. But if you're expecting a "the game is practically already made" solution with bolt or any visual scripter, you will be disappointed. Check out bolt in action on youtube and decided if this is what your willing to invest in.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    leni8ec and asadmuzammil77 like this.
  26. CrashTestDummies

CrashTestDummies

Count me in for the Beta CrashTest
    I'll try not to wreck it to badly

27. iMpAviDo_KI

iMpAviDo_KI

Dear developer team,

I am used Bolt 1 in 2018 & early 2019 and saw, that there is a new version of Bolt called "Bolt 2".
    I would be proud, if I could test your new version to get a new experience with bolt, because I am a hardcoder, so maybe I will get better experience with using bolt again.
    Furthermore I am interested to help you with developing, to improve your well done system with some bug reports, if they exist ^^
    Please add me to the beta list.

Best regards.

28. NeedsLoomis

NeedsLoomis

dre788 is correct, creating complicated logic is coding, and every game needs unique complicated logic that can't be created magically by a plugin. So correct, you won't need to write a single line of code, but you will need to visually create lots of code in Bolt.

To answer your question, Bolt 2 can be used to create AAA code...you'll still need AAA graphics, sound, and design though!

LaurentGibert and asadmuzammil77 like this.
  29. Juandapp

Juandapp

If you are looking for BOLT, you are not ready for triple A games, but if you don't know how to program with some colloquial language syntax, it is the way to make good Indie games. Regards

asadmuzammil77 likes this.
  30. QubitLoop

QubitLoop

Hi @LaurentGibert, I'm interested in participating in the Bolt 2 beta as well. Thank you.

31. SlimeProphet

SlimeProphet

I'm curious about visual scripting. Is it genuinely useful and usable? In what situations? I tried watching some of this 1hr 40min video for making basic movement and jumping, and it was excruciating. On the other hand, there seems to be a lot of demand and investment in these tools.

32. guybro_thunderboots

guybro_thunderboots

I use NodeCanvas, a visual scripting asset, to make AI behavior trees: I write the code that represents actions and conditions, then tie them together using the visual graph. I can see at a glance what branch the AI is in, why it's in that particular branch, and I can easily make changes to the flow of the graph to add or remove behavior while still being able to understand at a glance the consequences of those changes.

You can utilize lower-level flow graphs like FlowCanvas or Bolt in much the same way: wrapping up higher-level game functionality in MonoBehaviours or custom nodes and using the graph to drive your high-level game logic that way. It imparts the same advantages I mentioned above. Plus, the graph frameworks themselves usually have a baked-in understanding of asynchronous behavior, so you can get a lot of things free that would otherwise require some tiresome chaining of coroutines or worse if you were to implement them as MonoBehaviours.

And lastly you have users who can understand program logic but for some reason or another are not capable of writing textual code; for them, a flow graph has an important use in that it enables them to make progress without relying on a third party too much.

A large down-side to FlowCanvas/Bolt/uNode/whatever is that they ship with what is effectively the "raw" Unity API, where-as a competing product like UE4's Blueprints ship with several common high-level nodes that most games will find a use for. That's unfortunate, but maybe that will change with Unity's acquisition of Bolt.

PanthenEye and leni8ec like this.
  33. santera12

santera12

34. Simplereader

Simplereader

Hello. I recently bought Bolt on the asset store and would like access to the latest beta version of Bolt.

35. NeedsLoomis

NeedsLoomis

Yes, though its not for everyone.

There are certain things that are very difficult to do in text base code, and the same goes for the reverse. Bolt 2's macros, for instance, are unique constructs. Imagine if you could instantiate a different monobehaviour inside a parent monobehaviour, with fully functioning Unity magic events like Update/Start/etc. The child class has variables, events and functions that can be used by its parent BUT it's parents variables, functions, and events can also be used by the child.

Visually, a macro in Bolt 2 is a simple node you drop anywhere, and wire up. It takes very little mental energy to understand. In text, such an architecture is weird to imagine. The best way to do it would be to remove the whole concept and inline the code instead of having a child class, which is repetitive and gross, so you would ultimately implement a different pattern.

Some things that both do well are just easier to comprehend in visual coding. State machines are a huge one. Most people I know who write complex state machines in code also write visual editor tools to see them.

Brain storming logic is also something that some certain types of people really vibe with visually. For example, in the music industry, some people love physically wiring synths, patches, and pedals in and out of each other. Bolt is similar, where people enjoy writing little chunks of logic and routing and rerouting them in and out of each other, feeling out the results. We've all had to do this in standard code, but for many its much harder to copy and paste text around, keeping track of commented code, brackets, what variables go where, and what functions are being executed by what functions. This is also one that goes back to rewiring state machines (I cant express enough how much I like visual state machines and behavior trees).

That last point also rolls into opening doors for team based design, which is what a lot of studios do. Its easy to teach team members who aren't really familiar with coding how to use Bolt. The coders can create all of the backend systems, then build nodes that the designers can wire up to manipulate those systems.

It's def a books vs movies type of debate, they both have their upsides and you might love them both, or only jive with one.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  36. KittenFemme

KittenFemme

Hello, i'd like to be signed up for Bolt 2's beta.

37. miro1360

miro1360

Hi Laurent!
    If it was possible, I would like to be in the beta list. Thank you.

38. HenryYoungChoi

HenryYoungChoi

just checked discord vouchers were sent out last month didnt get mine :(. So here i am askin how we do dis :D

39. PJan

PJan

@LaurentGibert

I would like to join the Bolt 2 Beta.

I have Bolt 1 and like to learn Bolt 2 too.

40. joulfm

joulfm

Sign me up pleasse

41. zetsu3n

zetsu3n

i would like to join the bolt 2 beta too sign me up please

42. marisbh

marisbh

Just posting so I can be added to the beta tester list. Thanks.

43. Another5405

Another5405

I very interest on it,I though that can develop
    structure light-fast when I knew the feature.

44. LarsH673

LarsH673

i would like to join the beta.

45. AdalbertoVideira

AdalbertoVideira

46. hyperionthunder

hyperionthunder

I would like to participate in beta testing of Bolt 2, as I would like to work with tweeting and improved nesting feature. I have worked with tweens in the past in animations and I am very excited to work with the new feature in Bolt.

47. Pan_Athen_SoundFellas

Pan_Athen_SoundFellas

Hi to all and kudos to the Unity team for keeping up with the forums posts.

I'm not sure that this will get through to the proper eyes, I would like to be part of the Bolt 2 Alpha/Beta testers.

My reason is that I'm using Bolt to create game audio tutorials for intranets and want to use Bolt 2 to start early on development of public tutorials. The functionality that I use is very simple, so probably won't find any difficulties, as I already used Bolt 2 Alpha that I downloaded from Ludiq's website before the acquisition from Unity Technologies.

My expertise is on sound, let me know how I can help with the testing.

48. vhaynne

vhaynne

I would like to become part of the Bolt 2 testing. Thank!

49. steve_zeng

steve_zeng

It's been a few months and I'm worried about the progress!

50. Adam-Blahuta

Adam-Blahuta

Unity Technologies

@NathanielAH I'll get into greater detail when it becomes relevant (and make sure it's communicated clearly in release notes) but rest assured we didn't change anything significant from an architectural or implementation standpoint. It's mostly about namespacing and moving files around and into different assemblies. I mentioned it because of its effect on currently serialized graph data and not because it's going to change how you use the product or integrate with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.