Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Bolt 2 beta (coming soon)

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by LaurentGibert, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zebbi

Zebbi

Good to hear, I know a lot of people who still use Bolt 1 and are hoping development won't be halted on it.

LaurentGibert likes this.
  2. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Unity Technologies

This all means we just ask for a little bit of patience during the transition so that we can come back with a solid plan moving forward.

corjn and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  3. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Unity Technologies

There is a way to bring over most of the graphs, but some specific notions are not 1 to 1 mapping and require some manual gap filling. As we review the migration experience, we will look into minimizing the amount of work that could be necessary in bringing Bolt 1 graphs to Bolt 2.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  4. Graham-B

Graham-B

Very cool, I'm excited to try out the beta!

LaurentGibert and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  5. ModLunar

ModLunar

This makes me really happy.

I love programming in C#, but there are some things like NPC dialogue, where I could do it with ScriptableObjects and good ol' Inspector references, but it gets hectic after a bunch of lines get added in the conversation (think traversing 100 ScriptableObject assets referencing each other in a special order for the conversation flow! Oof!)

Goodluck Unity team getting onboard with the codebase, and Ludiq.. you've done us all such good things. Thank you so much.

6. thatscraigz

thatscraigz

This is so rad! Just excited to hear about it :D would love to participate if able! :D

7. aaronjessen

aaronjessen

I would also like to test out the alpha/beta. Thanks! :D

8. williamian

williamian

Laurent, Bolt has not been folded into package manager yet correct?

9. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Unity Technologies

We plan to keep Bolt 1 as an asset on the asset store, and wish to land Bolt 2 as a Package in the Package Manager. There is still some unknown so no promises yet, but that's the goal so far.

diosney and corjn like this.
  10. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Great news. Count me in.

For those who tried both, will my knowledge on Bolt 1 transfer on Bolt 2 or should I wait and learn on 2 directly?

Thanks.

11. JasonJonesLASM

JasonJonesLASM

The feel and general use of Bolt 2 is identical. That's as far as general UX is concerned. Events and everything also are practically the same. UI changed due to structure, but it doesn't feel alien.

The biggest difference is before, graphs were just event graphs, and variables at the "class" level (object variables) were not attached as a part of the graph, so you had to recreate them on objects manually.

Now everything is a little closer to C#, so you have groupings (classes) that now group variables, events, macros, and newly added functions (which can return inline values).

The other big thing is now generics and some more C# type functionality exists, such as enums, funcs, delegates, and so on.

In the end there is a little bit of knowledge to pickup, but the C# logic you'll implement won't be theoretically different. Most of what you gain will help with 2.0, absolutely.

12. Alfred-HG

Alfred-HG

Happy user of Bolt 1 here! Count me in for the Bolt 2 beta, It would be cool to use it in the next game :)

LaurentGibert and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  13. mountblanc

mountblanc

I know Unity sees Alpha - Beta and Production ready differently then the rest of the world. Like the release build released with a bunch of known issues.
    I can clearly say that Aldo Bolt2 has great promise its far from a Beta as the very basic options are still broken. (Clear indication the Alpha title is correct) to give an example: creating a simple function with a local variable does NOT work.
    upload_2020-5-7_19-5-57.png

LaurentGibert, ModLunar and Tanner555 like this.
  14. diosney

diosney

That would be really awesome if the package for Bolt 2 will be a free one (and I'm talking as a user that bought Bolt as it full price), and will enable a lot of possibilities to us, so yes, a +1 on that.

15. NiirB

NiirB

Hi! I would like to express my interest in the beta. I look forward to seeing what can be done with Bolt now that it has unity itself behind it.

As for the beta itself i think it would be great if you guys would set up a git/issue tracker or something along these lines as there are bound to be a bunch of issues that will need reporting.

16. RealityDotStop

RealityDotStop

That one actually has been fixed by Lazlo before he moved the code over, so Unity should already have the fix for that one. We never got a release after Lazlo fixed it though. (I know, because I was the reporter on the Ludiq ticket)

LaurentGibert and HeadClot88 like this.
  17. DeividSteffensINV

DeividSteffensINV

Looking foward to get into this Beta.

18. homemech

homemech

Hi Laurent and Unity Bolt team! I'd like to be in on the Bolt 2 Beta.

19. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

I would also like to be part of the bolt 2 beta

20. transat

transat

Laurent, I'm also interested in the beta. Merci bien.

21. markasuter

markasuter

I want to use Bolt to teach my high school students in my' Intro to Programming" course, in conjunction with C#, and record video tutorials for the edu community to use in their classrooms. Thanks!

Tanner555, LaurentGibert and Jwolf like this.
  22. Thomixioso

Thomixioso

I just bought Bolt last week, funny stuff. I would love to try Beta too.

23. davidwdavis

davidwdavis

I'm also interested in working with Bolt 2 beta when it is available. Thanks!

24. RealityDotStop

RealityDotStop

Do we need to resubmit bug reports from the existing alphas, or were those transferred over with the acquisition?

25. selimsandal

selimsandal

I'm also intrested in Bolt 2 Beta/Alpha when it is available. Thank You!

26. Zebbi

Zebbi

@LaurentGibert is Bolt 2 in a state where it's okay to start production projects with? For the last year and half, it's been a case of do not use in projection projects, and the update from January absolutely destroyed any projects using Bolt 2 up until then. If it's in a state where projects may not be released or even built, but will not be broken by any future updates, that would be really great going forwards.

27. daveranan

daveranan

@Zebbi I'd wait for RC versions, maybe Beta version 10 if you feel extra lucky and don't fear of loosing a lot of progress through upgrades to new versions.

28. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Unity Technologies

Hi @RealityDotStop, we're supposed to have captured everything and moved it all over to our side. So no action needed on that front, hopefully we got it all right without losing any entry.

29. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Unity Technologies

No.

markasuter likes this.
  30. Zebbi

Zebbi

Is this because in future our current graphs will be totally broken again like they were between alpha 5 and alpha 6? I’d have thought at this stage with bolt 2 being feature complete and after 10 alphas you’d be able to say that the current stage of anything we make with bolt 2 will be fine as bugs are fixed. “No.” implies future changes will more than likely completely break the core architecture of bolt 2 and therefore any present graphs we make in alpha 10 will have to be totally rewritten in future betas.

31. RealityDotStop

RealityDotStop

The biggest problem for production projects right now on the existing alphas (assuming no major redesigns in the future, which I'm curious in as well) is generation still has fatal errors that prevent complex projects from building. They don't seem to be anything too major for the Unity team to clear up, but it isn't advisable to work on a production project for long periods only testing in the editor.

But even so, you've got an entirely different design team with different goals on the project now, so even if Lazlo had no breaking changes planned for the future, it isn't unreasonable to think that Unity will change something that will break existing projects on their path to bringing their vision, slightly different, to market.

LaurentGibert, NiirB and Zebbi like this.
  32. Zebbi

Zebbi

That's exactly what I'm concerned about, I just wish there was more information at this stage. Everything we know is broken up between stuff Lazlo said two months ago stuff Unity is saying this week.

33. moyashiking

moyashiking

I am one of the people who is looking forward to Bolt2.
    The long-awaited beta version!

34. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I'd like to Beta test this as well if possible.

35. sinushawa

sinushawa

I would also like to be able to continue testing Bolt2, count me in.

36. bugfinders

bugfinders

Im too am looking forward to bolt2, bolt 1 was way better than any of its competitors, hearing as we are of the things of bolt2, it has to be awesome, please include me when the time comes

37. parrotsgame

parrotsgame

similar here i would like to participate in the beta program.

38. Jorhoto

Jorhoto

Hi, interested on testing beta aswell.
    Thanks!

39. Alima-Studios

Alima-Studios

Hi everyone, I've been playing with Bolt 2 alpha and I like it a lot. @LaurentGibert Would it be possible to continue with these projects updating them to Bol 2 beta?
    When will it be possible to check the beta? During these weeks I'm getting vert excited and impatient :))

40. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Unity Technologies

I probably should have made a longer answer :), thanks for calling it out.

I say no, because an alpha, and most of the time a beta, are by definition versions that are unsafe for production. There is an inherent risk to build things with any software alpha or beta versions, and no reasonable software developer should promise an alpha or beta is safe for production. So we won't make this promise.

Now do we wish to maintain compatibility and avoid any disruption at all? Yes. We will keep this as a goal for any future step, but not at a higher priority than making real progress toward a solid and sustainable release.

Hopefully all of this will be clarified soon when we'll start distributing the first iterations from the Unity team. Thanks for your patience!

Zebbi likes this.
  41. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Unity Technologies

Hi @Alima-Studios, we are also very excited here too! Landing a beta version is our next goal. The timing and iterations leading there are still a little blurry, so keep an eye out for the next steps.

bugfinders likes this.
  42. UAS

UAS

Please have an exciting news quick. Dev News was all over. It would be smart to announce really good things

43. fedetch

fedetch

I'm really interested of being part of Bolt2 beta program. Been using alpha 10 for a while, can't wait for beta. Thank you!

44. dre788

dre788

I'm going to be using 2019.3 for a while. Will I have to have the latest version of unity to use Bolt 2 once it becomes production ready?

45. valarus

valarus

I'm interested in Bolt 2 beta as well.

46. ChrisSmith

ChrisSmith

Congrats Unity Bolt Team! Very exciting.

As a marked "Tester" on the Ludiq discord for Bolt 2, would love to continue that as a beta tester here.

LaurentGibert and HeadClot88 like this.
  47. NiirB

NiirB

Hi,

is bug reporting via the Unity Editor the way to go to submit bugs for bolt now? is there anything specific in what we should type in the tittle to get it redirected to the bolt team?

In Bolt 1 the fuzzy finder's search is broken on Linux atm - it does not receive search input. There is a fix on the Ludiq forums apparently however I can't get it to work myself.

https://support.ludiq.io/communities/5/topics/3104-problem-with-unit-search-on-linux

48. djameto

djameto

Hello, I'm interested in the bolt2 test. May I take part in the test?

49. Pancakez

Pancakez

Hello! Been using the latest Bolt 2 Alpha for a while and have obviously running into lots of issues so I'd be interested in seeing how Unity's new version compares.So if possible I'd really like to sign up for Beta too! :)

50. JuneHe

JuneHe

Unity Technologies

Hi NiirB,
    It looks like a bug report concerning this issue has been submitted to us a couple of days ago, and it should be processed shortly.
    For any future reports on Bolt, reporting the bug via the Unity editor would be the way to submit them. No specific title required, though an indication within the report that the bug is Bolt related is useful. A guide can be found here: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Hope this helps, thank you for raising the question!

LaurentGibert, JohnC_Unity and NiirB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
unityunity