Search Unity

Weird unexpected bounce behavior

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Dalon9, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Dalon9

Dalon9

Hello,

I stumbled across a really strange rigidbody-bounce behavior that can't possibly be intended like that.
    I've got the following setup:

I have spheres with a rigidbody, no drag, angular drag or gravity and collision detection set to continuous dynamic as well as a physic material with static friction, dynamic friction and bounciness set to 0.5 (everything above 0 generates similar results) and both combines set to maximum.
    Components.PNG

Those spheres hit a box at a 30° angle without colliding with each other. Each sphere's velocity is 0.01 higher than the previous one. The result is this:
    physics.gif

I also used animation curves to graph the sphere's speed and its angular velocity after the impact in relation to its initial speed:

Speed: Speed02.png

Angular Velocity: AngularVelocity02.png

So the behavior is very strange in general but at a certain speed, the spheres periodically don't get any angular velocity at all from the impact, which makes it even weirder.

I also tried to lower the fixed timestep from 0.02 to 0.01 but that way the only thing that changes is that the "no angular velocity behavior" just starts at a lower initial speed.
    And I tested using continuous speculative collision detection, but that leads to a whole different, but also very strange behavior.
    I've put graphs to those tests into a zip file because I can only have 5 files in a post.

So my question is: What the hell is happening here?

Attached Files:

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Just curious, if you leave a little more time between spawning spheres does the behavior change? (Are they hitting each other?)

3. Edy

Edy

Maybe there is some code in Update? I haven't specifically tested this, but I think that even the instancing code should run in FixedUpdate.

4. Dalon9

Dalon9

Thanks for the replies!

They shouldn't collide with each other. I put the spheres on a layer and disabled collision with the same layer in the layer collision matrix. But I made another test with more time in between the spawns, just to be sure
    physics1.gif

The interesting thing is that it doesn't seem to matter, whhere/when the spheres are spawned, because the same speed always results in the same behavior. But I made a new test where I spawn the spheres in FixedUpdate. Just with eight different speeds this time (looping): 3.5, 3.7, 3.9, 4.1, 4.3, 4.5, 4.7 and 4.9. This also nicely shows, how inconsistent and unintuitive the bounces are, depending on the collision speed.
    physics2.gif

5. Edy

Edy

6. JimmyTurbo1985

JimmyTurbo1985

I've noticed another strange issue but it could be something I'm doing wrong as I'm new to Unity.
    What do you think of this behavior ?
    Video below :

7. Edy

Edy

That's related with the parameter "Bounce Threshold" in Project Settings > Physics. When the relative velocity of a contact is below that threshold then the object won't bounce.

8. JimmyTurbo1985

JimmyTurbo1985

Thanks, glad there's a way to fix this!

9. gamefish

gamefish

Did you find a solution for this? I don't know the size of those balls but maybe they are small balls. If this is the case, increase the ball size to 1 might help