Search Unity

Weird Results Blender to Unity

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by OmenX, Oct 15, 2017.

1. OmenX

OmenX

Hey Everyone,

I made this low poly asset in Blender, painted the textures in Photoshop and imported to Unity. As you can see in the attached image, the Unity asset looks a bit different than in Blender.

assetcombo.jpg

In Unity there are these vertical lines visible on the tower and roof. What is causing that and how can I fix it?

Also in Unity, the asset becomes so shiny. How can I scale back the shine so it looks more the way it did in Blender?

Thanks!

2. DanielDickinson

DanielDickinson

The vertical lines are caused by smoothing groups/surface normals. On the left side of your image in Blender, you'll see a "Shading" submenu. In Blender, enter edit mode, select all and then hit the smooth option. This will smooth out the surface normals of your mesh giving you even lighting, though it should be noted that in some situations, you may want these hard edges (Where the brick meets the wattle and daub, for example). The easiest way I've found to accomplish this in Blender is to simply separate and remerge the mesh per smoothing group (Though I'm sure there is a better way).

As for the material setup. By default unity imports new materials as the metallic variant of the standard shader, with a relatively high gloss value. Simply find where you imported your mesh, go to the materials folder and then, on each of your materials, adjust the gloss value. You may want to increase the metallicity of the shader as well. Have a play with it. :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. OmenX

OmenX

Thank you! I appreciate your help.

The metallic slider worked fine. As for the smoothing, it worked for removing the vertical lines I asked about, but created new issues in the process. The coloring and lightness of the tower are altered in a weird way. When seen in Blender in my OP the tower is colored more or less the same in a beige stucco. After going back to Blender and applying the face smoothing in edit mode, I re-imported my asset to Unity and the coloration changed to what you see below.

assetSmoothing.png

Oddly, the bottom half of the tower seems normal, but the top half became much whiter than in my painted texture. I've try fiddling with lighting settings, but to no avail.

Any thoughts?

4. DanielDickinson

DanielDickinson

It almost looks like this was the case in your first image as well, it just wasn't as noticeable with the separated normals. Difficult to tell. As to whats causing it, I'm a little stumped. Is it perhaps separated into multiple textures/materials? If your comfortable attaching it in the thread I would be happy to take a look for you.

5. AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Maybe you could open the lighting menu and change the ambient colour to a constant colour, then set it to white. I think by default it uses the skydome as an ambient source which is blue, and maybe thats changing the colours.

6. OmenX

OmenX

The tower is one object, the roof and wind sails are each their own separate objects. The tower has it's own texture that is not divided up. You can see in the Blender shot below, my texture is one texture and both the top and bottom halves are similar in color.

assetBlender.jpg

@AdamAlexander - I like the lighting in Unity much better with the white ambient color like you suggested. But the color variation remains.

7. AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

I see now, that is very strange! If you use an unlit material is there still this issue?

8. OmenX

OmenX

It seems to be related to the Default-Skybox somehow. When I set Skybox Material in Unity to "None," the coloring of the tower looks the way it should. Only problem then is the overall scene is kinda of dark.