Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Weird ProBuilder UV bug

Discussion in 'World Building' started by hotdog3454421127, Oct 29, 2020.

1. hotdog3454421127

hotdog3454421127

This has happened to me a couple of times. To reproduce this I created a brand new scene, made a probuilder mesh, and extruded it so I would have 2 faces next to each other. I also set the scale to 8, I don't know if that causes this or not but that's the scale I usually use. Now I opened the UV editor and this is what it looks like:

So then I dragged the face I had currently selected:

As you can see, the other face, for some reason, comes along with it while I'm dragging it, but as soon as I let go, it goes back to where it was:

This happens every time I try to drag the face. Here is me dragging it back towards the other face:

And here is what happens when I let go of it.

This is really annoying because sometimes, the faces are far apart from eachother, and I want to put them together with the alt key shortcut that snaps two faces together. However, when I drag one, it also moves the other one in this weird way which means the alt key shortcut does nothing and the faces won't snap together. Why does this bug happen, and how to fix it? Sure, one could eyeball it to get the two faces to be next to each other, but is there any other workaround that lets me still use the alt key snapping feature?

2. hotdog3454421127

hotdog3454421127

Just realized what is causing this while playing around with it.

Apparently I have been clicking ctrl+click on faces whenever I want to select multiple faces at once, and while ctrl+click does indeed select multiple faces at once, it is also the hotkey for aligning an adjacent face's uv coordinates, which I didn't know.

I've never noticed ctrl+click causing this, because I am used to ctrl+clicking to select multiple faces at once, but apparently it is alt+click. I'm probably used to ctrl+click because that is the case for example when you want to select multiple gameobjects at once, and the program never gave me a message like "auto-stitch performed" or anything, so I just assumed this faces-being-bound-together thing happened randomly. :D

I'm glad I discovered this feature though, because this is immensely useful for making my textures line up properly! :)

Anyways, is it possible to somehow undo this thing for a specific mesh when I don't want faces bound anymore?
    Also what if I do this for two faces and then I move one of them like in the example? They won't line up anymore, but they're still bound together. Could be solved by un-binding them, but is that possible?