Search Unity

Resolved Weird lines at chunk borders

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by ethan123241, Feb 16, 2024.

1. ethan123241

ethan123241

I am currently trying to generate terrain with a chunk system around the player using visual scripting. I have the system working fine (although quite slow) except on the chunk borders where there are clear lines running down them upload_2024-2-17_7-55-1.png
    to generate the chunks i get the unity plane, then offset each vertices' Y position by a random amount based on the Perlin noise function. i do this in 45 x 45 chunks then put all the vertices and triangles into a list, recalculate the normals and tangents, then set the mesh filter. this causes this lines for some reason. :/ here is my code: upload_2024-2-17_8-4-2.png
    If anyone knows how to fix either the slowness or the lines it would be greatly appreciated.

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

As for the slowness, you're making the classic mistake of getting the mesh vertices inside your loop. Every time you do that, it creates a whole fresh copy of the mesh array and allocates it on the C# side. This is hugely wasteful. You should only get them once, and save the result array in a variable for reuse. I don't really know how to do that in Visual Scripting. This seems like much too complex a task to be performed with Visual Scripting to be perfectly honest. I recommend C# for better control and memory management.

3. ethan123241

ethan123241

That does speed things up quite a bit however it is still slow. I'll see if i can figure out how to turn this into a C# script

4. ethan123241

ethan123241

The lines at the chunk borders have been solved by a reddit user. it turns out the normals are not affected by the surrounding chunks