Search Unity

Weird Lightmap Problems

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by overhill, Dec 11, 2010.

1. overhill

overhill

Ever seen this kinda weird things in your lightmaps?

The first time when I rendered I used 50 texels and it was fine
    When I used 80 it gave me this... Could it be because of this or something else? Bad luck?

2. robert

robert

It's a bug in Beast. I'm hoping to have it fixed with the next minor release of Unity, which should be soon.

As a temporary workaround try using lower resolution (50 texels as you said), less bounces or simplify other settings. You can also try baking on windows or on a beefier mac (I've only ever seen this issue on older macs).

Sorry for that ;)

3. overhill

overhill

Hi, Robert

Thanks for the quick answer.

I actually rendered this on acer aspire 8920G laptop with windows xp on it. Just In case u find this info useful.

I was also thinking of this whole workflow and correcting of lightmaps after the Beast has done its part.
    I mean in my case now I have to check thru bunch of lightmaps and correct them in Photoshop with stamp tool or smudge.

At the moment Unity doesn't really help my work. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Is it really so that Unity doesn't show me which lightmap is used in which meshes?

I mean it would be handy if unity would somehow show or lighten up the meshes where the lightmap is used when I select the lightmap from my project window.
    and when I select a mesh from my project or hierarchy window it would be really handy if it shows which lightmap is used in them.

Also is it possible to export a mesh back to 3dmax after I have generated the lightmap uvs in unity on it?
    This way I could add some extra lights and shadows with mental ray etc. on top of my Beast lightmaps.
    Of course I can make the lightmap uv channel ready before I bring my mesh to unity but if there is way to do as I mentioned above it would be nice as well.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  4. overhill

overhill

And here we go again. I tried now then with 50 texels... and its getting even more crazy... could it be so that the computer Im using is starting to freak out for too much rendering or is it something with the other settings... :(

Is there a way to click "default" settings back to the lightmap rendering settings?

5. robert

robert

On XP? Interesting.

Unity does show you which lightmaps are used on what and vice versa. Lightmapper manual, the image under http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Components/class-LightMapping.html -> Automatic Atlasing.

Right-click the lightmap and it will select all the objects that use the lightmap. The other way round: select an object in the scene and open the Maps pane: lightmaps used by that object will be outlined in yellow.

Sure, you can export your mesh from Unity with the second UV set generated by the Unity auto-unwrapper. Try looking on the wiki or on the forums for a script that exports meshes from Unity and make sure it exports the second UV set as well.

As for the last question: there's no button to revert to default settings, I should probably add it. In the meantime you can see what are the default settings just by creating a new scene and looking at the settings there.

6. nm8shun

nm8shun

Here's another vote for a "Revert to Default Settings" button. Please.

7. overhill

overhill

Alright. Thanks a lot for the info.

I vote for Default settings button and "save render settings" button. :)

8. robert

robert

Ok, the issue is fixed now and the fix will be available with the next minor release of Unity, which shouldn't be long from now.

In the meantime you can workaround the issue by not using meshes with multiple materials. And if you do - don't use the tiling and offset properties of the materials' textures.

Related thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/60315-Strange-artifacts-using-beast-in-Unity-3

9. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

man I hope this fix for unity comes out quick... i just ran into the problem myself. Any estimated date on it?

10. overhill

overhill

okay, any hints when the patch is coming?

11. andeeeee

andeeeee

The new version is in beta - shouldn't be too long now.

12. ullala

ullala

any news? I am running into this problems as well and waiting every day for the new version.
    thx

13. robert

robert

We have a 3.2 release candidate already, so very soon.