Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Resolved Weird Interactions Between Kinematic Bodies in Havok

Discussion in 'DOTS Physics' started by LandonF, Jun 7, 2021.

1. LandonF

LandonF

While using Havok physics, my dynamic bodies refuse to collide with a rotating rectangle. Everything works fine in Unity Physics, but I really want to use Havok for optimization purposes.

I've tried cranking up the solver iterations and changing the simulation steps to 1/120 and it somewhat helps but the dynamic objects still rarely collide with the rectangle. I've attached a video with the issue...

2. PhilSA

PhilSA

Kinematic bodies need to be 100% moved/rotated with velocity for their collisions to work properly

You can use "PhysicsVelocity.CalculateVelocityToTarget" to get a physicsVelocity that would bring a body to a target translation/rotation over the next frame

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    steveeHavok and LandonF like this.
  3. LandonF

LandonF

Ok so, I am trying to make the rotate script work with PhysicsVelocity.CalculateVelocityToTarget() but I'm unsure as to why its not working?

Here's the code I was using that worked in rotating the objects with a component StirRod:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     protected override void OnUpdate()
    2.     {
    4.         var dt = Time.DeltaTime;
    5.         var tickSpeed = 1f / Time.DeltaTime;
    6.         // Rotate object
    7.         Entities.ForEach((ref Rotation rot, ref StirRod stirComp) =>
    8.         {
    9.             quaternion yRot = quaternion.RotateY(80f * Mathf.Deg2Rad * dt);
    11.             rot.Value = math.mul(rot.Value, yRot);
    13.         }).Run();
    14.     }
    And here's the code I'm trying to use, now with the CalculateVelocityToTarget():

Code (CSharp):
    1. [UpdateInGroup(typeof(FixedStepSimulationSystemGroup))]
    2. [UpdateBefore(typeof(BuildPhysicsWorld))]
    3. public class RotateObjectECS : SystemBase
    4. {
    6.     protected override void OnUpdate()
    7.     {
    9.         var dt = Time.DeltaTime;
    10.         var tickSpeed = 1f / Time.DeltaTime;
    12.         Entities
    13.         .WithAll<StirRod>()
    14.         .WithoutBurst()
    15.         // Calculate contact events
    16.         .ForEach((ref PhysicsVelocity vel, ref Rotation rotation, in Translation translation, in PhysicsMass mass) =>
    17.         {
    18.             quaternion yRot = quaternion.RotateY(80f * Mathf.Deg2Rad * dt);
    19.             RigidTransform targetTransform = new RigidTransform(math.mul(rotation.Value, yRot), translation.Value);
    21.             rotation.Value = math.mul(rotation.Value, yRot);
    22.             vel = PhysicsVelocity.CalculateVelocityToTarget(mass, translation, rotation, targetTransform, tickSpeed);
    23.         }).Run();
    24.     }
    25. }
    edit for clarification: The kinematic body isn't moving anymore with the second script

4. LandonF

LandonF

Never mind, the script above totally works now. I had the body marked as "static" instead of "kinematic" when testing lol. Thank you so much for your help!

petarmHavok, steveeHavok and PhilSA like this.
unityunity